Gilbert "Bertie" Sackett
|Father||William Francis Sackett (1831-1898)|
|Mother||Elizabeth Ann Foord (c 1832-1905)|
Bertie was admitted, aged ten, to Salters Hill School, Lambeth, LondonG, on 15 June 1885. He left on 7 September 1885. His previous school was Broadstairs National School where he had been a pupil for 4½ years. The family was living at 51 Sainsbury Road.2
In 1891 Gilbert was living at Thanet Cottages, St Peter's, KentG, in the household of his parents William and Elizabeth, and was recorded in the census as Gilbert Sackett, an errand boy, aged 16, and born in Broadstairs.8
In 1911 he was living at 8 Salisbury Avenue, RamsgateG, and was recorded as Gilbert Sackett, a gas inspector, head of household, aged 36. Living with him were his wife Mabel, 32, and their children, Doris, 7, Ivy, 6, and Wilfred, aged two. Also in the household was Gilbert's brother
Ernest, aged 38.9
In 1921 he was living at 8 Salisbury Avenue, RamsgateG, and was recorded as Gilbert Sackett, a gas inspector at Ramsgate Gas Works, head of household, aged 46. Living with him were his wife Mabel, 42, and their children, Doris, 17, Ivy, 16, Frank, 12, Olive, 8, twins Stanley and John, 6, and Harold, aged two.10
At the outbreak of the Second World War in September 1939, Gilbert's widow (Mabel) Agnes was living at 8 Salisbury Avenue, RamsgateG, with her children, Olive, Stanley, and John.11
Gilbert's widow Mabel left a will which was proved on 5 October 1945 by their daughter Doris. Her estate was valued at £520.12
Children of Gilbert "Bertie" Sackett and Mabel Agnes Dawson
- Gilbert Stanley Sackett b. 1903, d. 1903
- Doris May Sackett b. 13 Sep 1903, d. 6 Aug 1989
- Grace Ivy Sackett b. 1905, d. 1926
- Frank Wilfred Sackett+ b. 11 Sep 1908, d. 1993
- Olive Frances Sackett b. 6 Aug 1912, d. 25 Jul 1988
- Stanley William Sackett FRCO, ARCM b. 22 Oct 1914, d. 25 Sep 1997
- John Dawson Sackett+ b. 22 Oct 1914, d. 29 Dec 1991
- Harold Gilbert Sackett+ b. 29 Jun 1918, d. 27 Nov 1999
Notes & Citations
- General Register Office, Online Index to Births, "Sep qtr 1874. Sackett, Gilbert. Mother: Foord. Thanet. 2a:822."
- "London, England, School Admissions and Discharges, 1840–1911" (Ancestry image), "Salters Hill School, Lambeth, adm no 940, 15 Jun 1885, Bertie Sackett, parent/guardian: William, of 51 Sainsbury Rd, b. 5 Sep 1874, last sch: Broadstairs Natl Sch, 4½ yrs, date of leaving: 7 Sep 1885, remarks: removed."
- General Register Office, Online Index to Deaths, "Jun qtr 1933. Sackett, Gilbert, 58. Thanet."
- General Register Office, Online Index to Marriages, "Dec qtr 1902. Sackett, Gilbert. Thanet. 2a:2263."
- 1939 Register.
- General Register Office, Online Index to Deaths, "Sep qtr 1945. Sackett, Agnes M, 66. Thanet."
- Probate record.
- 1891 England census
Thanet Cotts, St Peter's, Kent
William F Sackett, head, married, 59, painter (paralysed), b. St Lawrence
Elizabeth Ann Sackett, wife, 57, [?]maker, b. Eastry, Kent
Frederick C Sackett, son, unm, 21, gas fitter, b. Broadstairs
Ernest James Sackett, son, unm, 19, lab. general, b. Broadstairs
Gilbert Sackett, son, 16, errand boy, b. Broadstairs
Thomas Edward Sackett, brother, unm, 57, gardener, b. Bromstone, Kent.
- 1911 England census
RG14, piece 4533, schedule 131
8 Salisbury Avenue, Ramsgate, Kent
Gilbert Sackett, head, 36, m. 8y, 4 ch, 3 living, gas inspector, Ramsgate Gas Works, b. Kent, Broadstairs
Mabel Agnes Sackett, wife, 32, b. Broadstairs
Doris May Sackett, dau, 7, b. Ramsgate
Ivy Grace Sackett, dau, 6, b. Ramsgate
Wilfred Frank Sackett, son, 2, b. Ramsgate
Ernest James Sackett, brother, 38, single, gas fitter, Ramsgate Gas Works, b. Broadstairs.
- 1921 England census
8 Salisbury Avenue, St Lawrence Intra, Kent
Gilbert Sackett, head, 46y 9m, married, b. Broadstairs, Kent, gas inspector, R Corporation Gas Dept, Ramsgate, Gas Works
Mabel Agnes Sackett, wife, 42y 4m, married, b. Broadstairs, home duties
Doris May Sackett, daughter, 17y 9m, single, b. Ramsgate, Kent, dressmaker, Madam Flora Dressmaker, 18 York Street, Broadstairs
Ivy Grace Sackett, daughter, 16y 6m, single, b. Ramsgate, shop assistant, Woolworths Bazaar, High Street, Ramsgate
Frank Wilfred Sackett, son, 12y 9m, b. Ramsgate
Olive Frances Sackett, daughter, 8y 10m, b. Ramsgate
Stanley William Sackett, son, 6y 8m, b. Ramsgate
John Dawson Sackett, son, 6y 8m, b. Ramsgate
Harold Gilbert Sackett, son, 2y 11m, b. Ramsgate.
- "1939 Register" (Findmypast image), Sackett household, 8 Salisbury Avenue, Ramsgate M B, Kent: RG101/1766A/013/20, Agnes M Sackett, b. 20 Feb 1879, widowed, unpaid domestic duties; RG101/1766A/013/21, Olive F Sackett, b. 6 Aug 1912, single, unpaid domestic duties; RG101/1766A/013/22, Stanley W Sackett, b. 22 Oct 1914, single, musician; RG101/1766A/013/23, John D Sackett, b. 22 Oct 1914, single, van driver (motor).
- "England & Wales, National Probate Calendar (Index of Wills & Administrations), 1858–1995" (Ancestry image), "Sackett Agnes Mabel of 8 Salisbury-avenue Ramsgate widow died 22 August 1945 Probate Llandudno 5 October to Doris May Sackett spinster. Effects £520 6s. 4d."
|Sackett line||8th great-grandson of Thomas Sackett the elder of St Peter in Thanet|
|Charts||Line 3 (English)|
|Last Edited||3 Feb 2023|