|Father||Zavan Sacket Sr (1751-1840)|
|Mother||Abigail Bills (c 1759-1842)|
Rolin was listed in the 1810 census as a householder in Norwich (later Huntington), Hampshire County, MassachusettsG.9
He was assessed for State and Town taxes in HuntingtonG in 1811.10
He removed from Massachusetts to Pennsylvania sometime between 1811 and 1820, probably at the same time as his father Zavan.
Rolin was listed in the 1820 census as a householder in Mead, Crawford CountyG.11
In 1830 he was a householder in Great Valley, Cattaraugus County, New York StateG.12 He had at that date recently married in New York State his second wife, Pamelia, and had been involved with her in winding up the estate of her late husband Charles.
In 1840 Rolin was again in Mead, Crawford CountyG.13
In 1850 Rolin was living in Mead TownshipG and was recorded in the census as Rowland Sackett, a farmer, aged 65 and born in Massachusetts. Living with him were his second wife Pamelia, aged 49 and born in New York, and their children, Charles, 20, Leonard, 18, Zavan, 16, Louisa, 14, Mary, 12, Henry, 10, and John, aged six.14
In 1860 he was living in MeadvilleG and was recorded as Rowland Sacket, a farmer, aged 80. Living with him were his wife Pamelia, 59, and their children, Charles, 30, Leonard, 28, Eliza, 24, Henry, 20, and John, aged 16.15
Following Rolin's death in February 1863, his widow Pamelia suffered the further loss of her son John who died ten days later from disease contracted while serving in the Army during the Civil War. Pamelia applied for a Civil War mother's pension, citing also her need to support her dependent children, Leonard, then 31, and Eliza, 27, both described as non compos mentis. The application was supported in the Crawford County Court of Common Pleas by Rolin's nephew and near neighbor, Edward Sackett.
In 1880, Pamelia was living in MeadG and was enumerated as Permelia Sackett, a widow, aged 46 (sic: the enumerator probably intended 76). Living with her were her unmarried children, Rolin, 50, Leonard, 48, and Dolla (Eliza), aged 44.16
National Archives Civil War Mother's pension file
I the subscriber, resident of Mead Township, Crawford Co. Pennsylvania, on oath say I am the mother of Jno. F. Sacket, who died March 4th 1863, from disease contracted in the Army, he living but about five weeks after his return from the same. That while he was in the Army, he sent some money whenever he was paid and had when arriving about ninety dollars of which he gave sd Pamelia Sacket, his said mother, about sixty dollars. And I always depended upon him more than the others, as __ an unfortunate family. Charles Rolin, 33 years, Leonard M. (31) years, Eliza D (27) years, the father Rolin Sacket having died the 22nd day Feb. 1863.
[signed] Pamelia Sacket
We the subscribers, residents of Crawford County hereby certify that we are well acquainted with the parties above named and the facts set forth in __. Also the two above mentioned children, Leonard M. and Eliza D. are "non compos mentis" not being able to assist but have to be maintained by others. Also Rolin Sacket, the father & husband, having died the 22nd day of February AD 1863.
[signed] George McFadden
Personally appeared before me the above named Pamelia Sacket, E.B.R. Sacket & __ McFadden and same made oath that the above certificates are correct and true to the best of their knowledge and belief. This 14th day of Novembr AD 1863.
[signed] ?.?. Chase, Pro. ?C.
State of Pennsylvania
County of Crawford
On this 11th day of June 1864 before me, prothonotary & Clerk of Common Pleas in and for said County, personally appeared E.B.R. Sackett & A. Wright who, on being duly sworn according to Law, say they are near neighbors of Pamelia Sacket and are well acquainted with her, and also her son John F. Sacket, who died upon the 4th day of March AD 1863. Witnesses state that Pamelia Sacket has no husband living, he having died upon 22nd day of Feb. AD 1863. And that her said son left no widow or minor children or child. Also they are well acquainted with her circumstances and of the family and know that she has her interest in twenty acres of land very poor at best and not any personal property of any value, the house furniture and farm not worth more than $150.00 dollars. That her said son when at home used to hire out by the month and give the money to the support of the family, his mother and two children who are now a charge to her of the ages of twenty five and thirty one, who are "non compos mentis". Witnesses further state they have no interest in the prosecution of pension claim of Pamelia Sacket and that they reside in Mead Township.
Children of Rolin Sackett and Lovina Edson
- Harvey Sacket+ b. 14 Mar 1807, d. 10 Feb 1889
- Ursula Sackett+ b. 1809, d. 28 Feb 1903
- Orlinda Sackett b. c 1811, d. 30 Jun 1879
- Julia Sackett b. 19 Nov 1812, d. before 1880
- Laura B Sackett+ b. 31 Mar 1816, d. 5 Nov 1896
- Erastus E Sacket+ b. 2 Aug 1817, d. 17 Apr 1869
- Harriet N Sackett b. c Mar 1819, d. 28 May 1889
- Lydia Sackett b. 12 Nov 1820
- Edson Sylvester Sackett+ b. 9 Aug 1823, d. 16 Apr 1909
Children of Rolin Sackett and Pamelia (___) Chamberlin
Notes & Citations
- Charles Weygant, The Sacketts of America, "583. Rolin Sacket."
- He is "Rowland" in some records, but his nephew Edward refers to him as Rolin in his obituary of Isaac's wife Mercy.
- Pamelia Sacket, Civil War Pension application 14 Nov 1863 & 11 Jun 1864 re deceased son John F Sacket, states husband Rolin Sacket, father of John F, died 22 Feb 1863.
- Vital Records, Norwich (Huntington), Massachusetts, p172 "Intention of marriage between Mr Rowland Sackett & Miss Lovina Edson both of Norwich entered with me February 21st 1807. Samll Wright, T. Clerk."
- "Massachusetts, Town and Vital records, 1620–1988" (Ancestry image), "Sacket, Rowland and Lovina Edson, both of Norwich, 11 Mar 1807."
- "Massachusetts Vital Records, 1620–1850", digital image, American Ancestors, Springfield Vital Records, "Lovina Edson daughter of James Edson and Lovina Edson was born April 12, 1786."
- The Crawford Messenger, (Meadville, Crawford County, Pennsylvania), 23 Jul 1824, "Died—In Mead township, on the 15th June, Mrs. Lavina Sacket, consort of Rolin Sacket, aged 37 years."
- 1810 United States census
"Roland Sacket, Norwich, Hampshire County, Massachusetts."
- "Massachusetts, Town and Vital records, 1620–1988" (Ancestry image), Huntington, MA, 1811, "Rowland Sackett, real estate [illegible], personal estate [illegible]."
- 1820 United States census
"Rollin Sackett, Mead, Crawford County, Pennsylvania."
- 1830 United States census
"Rollin Sackett, Great Valley, Ellicottville, Cattaraugus County, New York State, 1 male 5-9, 1 male 40-49, 1 female 10-14, 1 female 20-29."
- 1840 United States census
"Rolin Sackett, Mead, Crawford County, Pennsylvania."
- 1850 United States Federal Census
Mead Township, Crawford County, Pennsylvania
Sackett, Rowland, 65, farmer, b. MA
Sackett, Parmelia, 49, b. NY
Sackett, Charles, 20, b. NY
Sackett, Leonard, 18, b. NY
Sackett, Zavan, 16, b. NY
Sackett, Louisa, 14, b. PA
Sackett, Mary, 12, b. PA
Sackett, Henry, 10, b. PA
Sackett, John, 6, b. PA.
- 1860 United States Federal Census
Page 426, FHL film 805099
Meadville, Crawford, Pennsylvania, 4 Aug 1860
Sacket, Rowland, 80, farmer, real estate $700, personal estate $100, b. MA
Sacket, Pemelia, 59, b. NY
Sacket, Charles, 30, b. NY
Sacket, Lenard, 28, laborer, b. NY
Sacket, Eliza, 24, b. PA
Sacket, Henry, 20, laborer, b. PA
Sacket, John, 16, farm laborer, b. PA.
- 1880 United States Federal Census
FHL 1255119 NA T9-1119/248C
Mead, Crawford, Pennsylvania
Permelia Sackett, head, widow, 46, b. NY, father b. NY, mother b. NY
Rolan Sackett, son, single, 50, b. NY, father b. NY, mother b. NY
Leonard Sackett, son, single, 48, b. NY, father b. NY, mother b. NY
Dolla Sackett, dau, single, 44, b. NY, father b. NY, mother b. NY.
[Age of 46 is prob. enumeration error for 76.]
|Sackett line||5th great-grandson of Thomas Sackett the elder of St Peter in Thanet|
|Charts||Line 3a (American)|
|Last Edited||31 May 2022|