|Father||William Sacket (1662-1700)|
|Mother||Hannah Graves (1665/66-after 1700)|
Joseph made his will at WestfieldG on 8 March 1756, naming as beneficiaries his wife Abigail, his sons Jesse and Erastus, and his daughters Beulah Dewey and Abigal Smith. He left to his wife the use of half of his house, barn, and home lot, the other half presumably going to his sons. He left his sons five shillings each and his joiner's tools. His daughters Beulah and Abigail were each to receive £8, half of his movables and half of his livestock. Not named in Joseph's will was his daughter Hannah who, by the date of the will, was married to Jacob Noble and was living in Westfield with their young children. This unlikely omission may be the result of an error in the transcription of the will reproduced in The Sacketts of America.1
Date: 8 Mar 1756.
Source: Weygant, The Sacketts of America.
Wife Abigail, use of half of house, barn, and home lot during widowhood, & £5 in movables out of household furniture.
Son Jesse, 5 shillings & half of joiner's tools.
Son Erastus, 5 shillings, half of joiner's tools, team tackling.
Daughter Beulah Dewey, £8, half of movables, & half of livestock.
Daughter Abigail Smith, £8, half of movables, & half of livestock.
Executor: son Erastus.
Witnesses: Eldad Taylor, Asa Noble, Moses Kellogg.
44. Joseph Sacket, 1690–1756, of Westfield, Mass., son of  William and Hannah Graves [Sacket], was married ___, to Abigail ___ who died in 1776.
Imprimus, I give and bequeath . . . to Abigail my beloved wife the use of one half of my house, barn, and home lot so long as she remains my widow, and also the use of my lot over the little river by the bridge the same term of her widowhood. Also I give her one bed and furniture such as she may choose to her disposal forever. Also I give her five pounds in movables out of the household furniture, such as she may choose to her disposal forever.
Item. I give unto my well beloved son Jesse Sacket, five shillings to be paid by my executors, also one half of my joiners tools.
Item. I give unto my well beloved son Erastus Sacket, five shillings, also one half of my joiners tools, and all my team tackling.
Item. I give unto my well beloved daughter Beulah Dewey, Eight Pounds to be paid by my executors and also one half of my movables in the house, and also one half of my live stock.
Item. I give unto my well beloved daughter Abigail Smith, Eight Pounds to be paid by my executors, and also one half of my movables in the house, and also one half of my live stock.
I do appoint ordain and constitute Erastus Sacket to be my executor of this my last Will and Testament.
197. Jesse Sacket, b. Nov. 9, 1716; m. Sarah Dewey.
198. Erastus Sacket, m. Elizabeth Leonard.
199. Hannah Sacket, b. Oct. 10, 1726, d. Oct. 13, 1799; m. Jacob Noble.
200. Abigail Sacket, m. ___ Smith.
Children of Joseph Sacket and Abigail Bigelow
Notes & Citations
- Charles Weygant, The Sacketts of America, "44. Joseph Sacket, b. May 1690, d. in 1756; m. Abigail ___."
- Vital Records, Westfield, Massachusetts, Weygant has May 1690.
- The New England Historical and Genealogical Register (Boston: NEHGS), 6 (1852): 269, Marriages, Births and Deaths in Westfield, William Sackett, m. Hannah Cram, Nov. 27, 1689; chn. Joseph, b. July 25, 1690; Hannah, b. Aug. 15, 1692; Rebecca, b. Sept. 16, 1694; Jonathan, b. March 20, 1696. Mr. W Sacket d. March 28, 1700. [The name Hannah Cram appears to be a transcription error for Hannah Graves. The Westfield records have Hannah Graves. Weygant records a first wife Sarah Crain, and there may have been confusion between the two marriages.]
- "Westfield, Massachusetts, Birth and Death Records (Dougherty abstracts)" (American Ancestors transcript), "Sacket, Joseph, s. William & Hanah (Graves) b. July 25, 1690."
- James Savage, A Genealogical Dictionary of the First Settlers of New England (Boston: Little, Brown & Company, 1860-62).
- "Baptisms performed in the Church of Christ, Westfield, Massachusetts, 1679–1836" (American Ancestors transcript), "1690 Sacket, Joseph s. William & Hannah, 5 mo 27 d."
- Vital Records (LDS), Westfield, Massachusetts, A:130.
- "Westfield, Massachusetts, Birth and Death Records (Dougherty abstracts)" (American Ancestors transcript), "Sacket, Joseph, w. Abigail d. Feb. 28, 1776, d. Nov. 8, 1756."
- Date of marriage based on birth date of first child.
- Barbour, "Families of Early Hartford, Connecticut" (Findmypast image), "Abigail [Bigelow, dau of Jonathan Bigelow & Rebecca Shepard] bp Nov 2, 1690 (1 Ch Rec) m Joseph Sackett."
- "Westfield, Massachusetts, Birth and Death Records (Dougherty abstracts)" (American Ancestors transcript), "Sacket, Abigail, w. Joseph, d. Feb. 28, 1776."
|Sackett line||3rd great-grandson of Thomas Sackett the elder of St Peter in Thanet|
|Charts||Line 3a (American)|
Thanet DNA chart 1
|Last Edited||29 Dec 2022|