James Arthur Sackett
|Father||Philetus Sackett (1838-1901)|
|Mother||Susan Anna Owens|
In 1900 James was living in the Industrial School for Boys, Lansing, Ingham County, MichiganG, and was recorded in the census as James Sackett, an inmate, aged 16 and born in Michigan.9
In 1910 he was living in Napoleon, Jackson County, MichiganG, and was recorded as James Sacket, a farm laborer, aged 27, a widower. James and his brother Charles, 37, were hired men on the farm of Fred Long.10 James was recorded as a widower on the 1910 census. A record of a prior marriage has not so far been found.
James completed a World War I draft registration card on 12 September 1918. He was aged 34 and was a farmer. He was living in Brooklyn, Jackson County, MichiganG, with his wife Zoa.11
In 1920 he was living in Dover, Lenawee County, MichiganG, and was recorded as James Sackett, a farm laborer, head of household, aged 33. Living with him were his wife Zoa, 23, and their children, Marie, 6, Charles, 3, Carrie, 1, and William, aged three months.12
In 1930, Zoa, aged 34, was living at Manum Road, Madison, Lenawee CountyG, with her children, Ella, 16, Charles, 13, Carrie, 12, William, 10, Mary, 8, Paul, 5, Hazel, 3, and Lillian, aged one.13
In 1935 James was living in Milwaukee, WisconsinG.14
In 1940 he was living in Rollin, Lenawee CountyG, and was recorded as James Arthur Sackett, a farm laborer, aged 56, divorced.14
In 1940, Zoa, 44, was living at Moscow Road, Moscow, Hillsdale CountyG, with her second husband Joseph Johns, 28, a farm laborer. Living with them were Zoa's children, Paul, 14, Hazel, 13, and Lillian, 11, and Joseph and Zoa's children, Roy, 7, and Minion, aged five.15
James completed a World War II draft registration card on 27 April 1942. He was then aged 58 and was employed by W M Cornelius. He was living at Manitou Beach, Lenawee CountyG.16
Mrs. Orra S. Johns
Coldwater — Mrs. Zoa B. (Wolff) Johns, 80, of 550 E. Chicago St., died Sunday in the Branch County Community Health Center several hours after being admitted. She had been ill four months.
She was born in Hillsdale County and moved to Coldwater in 1955. She was the widow of Orra S. Johns.
She is survived by daughters, Mrs. Marie Finch, Mrs. Carrie Brouse, Mrs. Mary Brouse, and Mrs. Lillian Brouse, all of Coldwater, and Mrs. Hazel Gamble of Mosherville Station; sons, William Sackett of Milan, Paul Sackett of Jonesville, Roy Johns of Geneva, Ind., and Minion Johns of Coldwater; 28 grandchildren; 70 great-grandchildren, and one great-great-grandchild.
Services will be held at 3:30 m. Wednesday at Putnam Funeral Home.
—Battle Creek Enquirer, Battle Creek, Michigan, 7 Feb 1977, p 5
[This obituary appears to confuse Zoa's husband and father. Her late husband was Joseph Eleazer Johns and her father was Orra S Wolff.]
Children of James Arthur Sackett and Zoa Belle Wolff
- Ella Marie Sackett b. 1913, d. 1991
- Charles Orra Sackett b. 17 Apr 1916, d. 23 Oct 1931
- Carrie E Sackett b. c 1918
- William Earl Sackett b. 21 Oct 1919, d. 14 Nov 1989
- Mary A Sackett b. c 1922
- Paul Lawrence Sackett+ b. 1 Jun 1925, d. 1 Jun 2007
- Hazel May Sackett b. 6 Jan 1927, d. 9 Jun 2006
- Lillian May "Lilly" Sackett b. 14 Jan 1929, d. 20 Aug 2007
Notes & Citations
- Death record.
- Find a Grave.
- US Social Security Administration, "Social Security Death Index" (American Ancestors transcript), "James Sackett, b. Mar 9, 1884, d. Dec, 1968, SSN 381-12-8532 issued MI, residence Adrian, Michigan, 49221, county Lenawee."
- "Michigan, Marriage Records, 1867–1952" (Ancestry image), "21 Aug 1912, at Addison, Lenawee County, MI, James A Sackett, 28, of Addison, b. MI, farmer, father Philetus Sackett, mother Susan Owens; to Zoa Belle Wolff, 16, of Addison, b. MI, father Ora Wolff, mother Mary Johns. Both 1st m. By WF Kishpaugh, ME Minister. Witnesses: Lea Wolff, Charles G Sackett, both of Addison."
- Thurmon King's database.
- Birthplace from son Charles's death certificate.
- "Michigan, U.S., Divorce Records, 1897-1952" (Ancestry image), "Granted 10 Mar 1933, Lenawee, Michigan, James A Sackett & Zoa B Sackett, m. Addison, Michigan, 21 Aug 1912. Petition filed 23 Sep 1929."
- "Michigan, Marriage Records, 1867–1952" (Ancestry image), "2 May 1934, at Hillsdale, Hillsdale Co, MI, Joseph Eleazer Johns, 22, of North Adams, MI, b. MI, farmer, father L A Johns, mother Faye Coutz, 1st m.; to Zoa Belle Sackett, 35, of Moscow, MI, b. MI, occ. housework, maiden name Zoa Belle Wolff, father Orra S Wolff, mother Mary Ions, 2nd m. By Peter White, Minister Free Methodist Church. Witnesses: Mars Faye Whetstone of Osseo MI, Estelle M White of Hillsdale."
- 1900 United States Federal Census
Roll 716, p 6, Enumeration District 0044, FHL microfilm
Industrial School for Boys, Lansing, Ingham County, Michigan
Sackett, James, inmate, b. Mar 1884, 16, b. MI, father b. NY, mother b. NY.
- 1910 United States Federal Census
Roll T624_653, p 8b, Enumeration District 0032, FHL microfilm 1374666
Napoleon, Jackson County, Michigan
Sacket, Charles, hired man, 37, single, laborer, on farm, b. MI, father b. NY, mother b. NY
Sacket, James, hired man, 27, wid, laborer, on farm, b. MI, father b. NY, mother b. NY
[In household of Fred Long].
- "US, World War I draft registrations records 1917–1918" (FamilySearch image), Michigan, Lenawee County no 2, Roll 1675808, "Serial no 250, Order no A1866, James Arthur Sackett, RFD no 2, Brooklyn, Jackson, Mich, age 34, b. 9 Mar 1884, white, native born, farming, Anna White (employer), Brooklyn, Jackson, Mich, nok: Zoa Bell Sackett, Brooklyn, Jackson, Mich, Registrant: medium ht, medium build, blue eyes, lt brown hair, no disabilities. Reg Adrian, Lenawee County, Michigan, 12 Sep 1918."
- 1920 United States Federal Census
Roll: T625_780; Page: 3B; Enumeration District: 68; Image: 1139
Dover, Lenawee County, Michigan, 10 Jan 1920
Sackett, James, head, home rented, 33, married, b. MI, father b. MI, mother b. MI, farm laborer, general farm
Sackett, Zoa, wife, 23, b. MI, father b. MI, mother b. MI
Sackett, Marie E, dau, 6, b. MI, father b. MI, mother b. MI
Sackett, Charles O, son, 8 11/12 [sic: 3 11/12], b. MI, father b. MI, mother b. MI
Sackett, Carrie E, dau, 1 11/12, b. MI, father b. MI, mother b. MI
Sackett, William E, son, 3/12, b. MI, father b. MI, mother b. MI.
- 1930 United States Federal Census
Page 2A, Enumeration District 0031, FHL microfilm 2340742
Manum Road, Madison, Lenawee County, Michigan
Sackett, Zoa, head, 34, m. at 17, b. MI, father b. MI, mother b. MI, home rented, $15
Sackett, Ella M, daughter, 16, b. MI, father b. MI, mother b. MI
Sackett, Charles O, son, 13, b. MI, father b. MI, mother b. MI
Sackett, Carrie E, daughter, 12, b. MI, father b. MI, mother b. MI
Sackett, William E, son, 10, b. MI, father b. MI, mother b. MI
Sackett, Mary A, daughter, 8, b. MI, father b. MI, mother b. MI
Sackett, Paul L, son, 5, b. MI, father b. MI, mother b. MI
Sackett, Hazel M, daughter, 3 3/12, b. MI, father b. MI, mother b. MI
Sackett, Lillian M, daughter, 1 3/12, b. MI, father b. MI, mother b. MI.
- 1940 United States Federal Census
Roll m-t0627-01779, p 4B, ED 46-43A
Rollin, Lenawee County, Michigan
Thrasher, Annabell, head, 66, wd, housework, own home, b. MI, home rented, $10
Sackett, James Arthur, hired man, 56, div, farm laborer, b. MI, res. 1 Apr 1935, Milwaukee, Wisconsin.
- 1940 United States Federal Census
Roll m-t0627-01755, p 5B, ED 30-19
Moscow Road, Moscow, Hillsdale County, Michigan
Johns, Joseph E, head, 28, laborer, farming, b. MI, home rented, $2
Johns, Zoa B, wife, 44, b. MI
Sackett, Paul, stepson, 14, b. MI
Sackett, Hazel, stepdaughter, 13, b. MI
Sacket, Lillian, stepdaughter, 11, b. MI
Johns, Roy, son, 7, b. MI
Johns, Minion, son, 5, b. MI.
- "US World War II draft registration cards 1942" (Ancestry image), "Serial no. U2153, James Arthur Sackett, Manitou Beach, Lenawee, Mich, age 58, b. Hillsdale, Mich, 9 Mar 1884, contact Anna Belle Thrasher, Manitou Beach, employer W M Cornelius, 2177 E Milwaukee, Detroit, Mich, employed at Manitou Beach, race white, ht 5' 7", wt 165, eyes blue, hair brown, complexion ruddy, no physical marks. Reg. Lenawee County, 27 Apr 1942."
|Sackett line||5th great-grandson of John Sackett of New Haven|
|Charts||Line 4 (American)|
|Last Edited||31 Jul 2023|