Vincent Eli John Sackett
|Father||Vincent Edward Sackett (1855-1894)|
|Mother||Elizabeth Perrett (c 1865-)|
In 1911 Vincent was living at Bulford Camp, Salisbury, Wiltshire, EnglandG, and was recorded in the census as Vincent Eli Sackett, aged 26 and born in Trimulgherry, East Indies, single, a bombardier in the 34th Battery Royal Field Artillery.9
In 1914 Vincent was working as a guard on the Oudh and Rohilkhand Railway.
Vincent served during the First World War in the Dorset Regiment and later as a sergeant in the Indian Army Service Corps, seeing service in Iraq and Afghanistan. As well as the standard British War and Victory medals, he was awarded the India General Service medal, with Iraq and Afghanistan North West Frontier Force clasps.10,11,12
Vincent and Kathleen moved "home" to England from India in about 1936.13
At the outbreak of the Second World War in September 1939, Vincent and Kathleen and their son Gerald were living at 16 Albert Villas, BristolG. Vincent was a cinema commissionaire. Two redacted records would be those of their children, Bryan and Delphine. Also in the household were four billeted soldiers of the Royal Corps of Signals.14
Children of Vincent Eli John Sackett and Kathleen Martha Elizabeth Kirk-Jones
- Desmond Terence Vincent Sackett b. 28 Jan 1914, d. 27 Oct 1914
- George Kitchener Sackett+ b. 26 Feb 1915, d. 16 Dec 1964
- Patricia Rosamund Muriel Sackett+ b. 9 Dec 1916, d. 14 Mar 1985
- Claudine Wilhelmina Alma Sackett b. 12 Sep 1918, d. 16 Dec 1918
- (?) Sackett b. 25 Jun 1925, d. 10 Mar 1927
- Gerald Martin Sackett+ b. 29 Oct 1928, d. Oct 2003
- Bryan Clifford Sackett b. 4 Mar 1930, d. Dec 2001
- Delphine Mabelle Anne Sackett b. 5 Sep 1932
|Sackett line||8th great-grandson of Thomas Sackett the elder of St Peter in Thanet|
|Appears in||Sacketts in the Military|
|Charts||Line 3 (English)|
Notes & Citations
- "India Births and Baptisms 1786–1947", database, FamilySearch, film 521872, "Vincent Eli John Sackett, b. 17 Oct 1884, bap. 5 Nov 1884, Trimulgherry, Madras, India, s. Vincent Edward Sackett & Elizabeth."
- "British India Office Ecclesiastical Returns, Births & Baptisms", digital image, Findmypast, "Trimulgherry, Madras, bap. 5 Nov 1884, b. 17 Oct 1884, Vincent Eli John Sackett, s. of Vincent Edward & Elizabeth Sackett, of Trimulgherry, father a Bombardier ?/3 R.A., by John Williams Wynch, Chaplain."
- Vincent Eli John Sackett (1884–1958) Family Bible, in possession of Dale Wakefield.
- GRO Indexes to Deaths, 1837 to date (National Archives), "Dec qtr 1958. Sackett, Vincent E J, 74. Bristol."
- Website India Marriages 1792–1948 (Family Search) (http://pilot.familysearch.org/), film 527899, "23 Apr 1913, Bareilly, Bengal, India, Vincent Eli John Sackett, 28, s. Vincent Eli John Sackett; & Kathleen Martha Kirk Jones, 17, d. George Kirt Jones."
- Father's name Vincent Eli John appears to be an error, either in the record or in the Family Search transcription, for Vincent Edward.
- Vincent Eli John Sackett (1884–1958) Family Tree, in possession of Dale Wakefield.
- GRO Indexes to Deaths, 1837 to date (National Archives), "Jun qtr 1958. Sackett, Kathleen M E, 62. Bristol."
- 1911 England census, digital image from National Archives microfilm, Ancestry.com, RG14, piece 12072
34th Battery Royal Field Artillery, Bulford Hut Barracks, Bulford Camp, Salisbury, Wiltshire
Vincent Eli Sackett, bombardier, 26, single, 34th Battery RFA, b. Trimulgherry, East Indies.
- National Archives, "British Army World War I medal rolls index cards", digital image, Ancestry.com, "Sackett, Vincent E. Corps Dorset R, rank T/Sgt?, regtl no 16525; Corps Dorset R regtl no 5720360; Corps IASC, rank Sgt, regtl no SS-623. Medals: Victory medal, roll C/2/10/B15 page 989; British medal, roll C/2/10/B15 page 989; GSmed GSM/India/7, page 78, remarks: Clasp Iraq; Ind GS Afgn NWFF 1919 (Roll 17365-42), remarks: IGS medal & clasp."
- "Britain, Campaign, Gallantry & Long Service Medals & Awards", database, Findmypast.
- "British Army Medal Index Cards, 1914-1920", digital image, The National Archives, "Sackett, Vincent E, Temporary Sergeant, Dorsetshire Regiment, service nos. 16525, 5720360, Sergeant, Indian Army Supply Column, service no. SS-623, Victory Medal, British Medal, India General Service Medal, Iraq Clasp, Afghanistan NWF 1919. WO372/17."
- Email from Billie Dale Wakefield to Sackett Mailing List, Dec 2013.
- "1939 Register", UK, digital image, Findmypast, Sackett household, 16 Albert Villas, Bristol C B, Gloucestershire: Vincent E Sackett, b. 17 Oct 1884, married, cinema commissionaire; Kathleen M Sackett, b. 3 Oct 1895, unpaid domestic duties; Gerald M Sackett, b. 29 Oct 1928, at school; & 2 closed records; & 4 billeted signallers, RCS.
|Last Edited||26 June 2020|