|Father||John Sackett (1743-1827)|
|Mother||Catherine Andrews (c 1753-1831)|
John was apprenticed as a shipwright to his father's cousin Henry Sackett of London on 25 February 1796. He was admitted to the Shipwright's Company on 28 April 1809.8,9
John was named as a beneficiary in his father's will made in St Peter in Thanet, KentG, on 26 April 1823. He was to receive £30 and a loan of £20 was waived.10
In 1841 John was living at Salisbury Lane, St Mary Magdalen, Bermondsey, SurreyG, and was recorded in the census as John Sackett, a shipwright, aged 59, born not in Surrey. The other members of his household were his wife Louisa, aged 57, also born outside Surrey, and his son Eli, aged 17.11
In 1851 John's widow Louisa was living at 6 Perseverance Court, Bermondsey, SurreyG, and was recorded in the census as Laura [sic] Sackett, a widow aged 67 and born in West Ham, Middlesex, the mother of Vincent Sackett.12
Children of John Sackett and Louisa ___
- John Henry Sackett+ b. 25 Feb 1804
- Vincent Edward Sackett+ b. 22 Nov 1805, d. 1870
- Louisa Sarah Sackett b. 21 Feb 1808
- Keziah Mary Sackett b. 2 May 1810, d. Apr 1811
- Henry Samuel Sackett+ b. 22 Feb 1811, d. 1885
- Jemima Elizabeth Sackett b. 16 Apr 1815
- Edward Fox Sackett b. 23 Nov 1817
- Samuel Joseph Sackett b. 1 Apr 1820, d. 1828
- Eli John Sackett+ b. 23 Jul 1823, d. 1901
Notes & Citations
- More information on John Sackett is found in Saga 4: My First Generation of Londoners by Marion Sackett, John's great-great-great-granddaughter.
- Baptisms Register, St Peter in Thanet, Kent (Society of Genealogists), "27 January 1782 John s. John & Catherine Sackett, b. 11 January."
- General Register Office, Online Index to Deaths, "Mar qtr 1851. Sackett, John, 69. St Mary Magdalen Bermondsey. 4:1."
- Burials Register, St James' Church, Bermondsey, Surrey (Ancestry image), "5 Jan 1851 John Sackett, Crown Cottage, 69."
- General Register Office, Online Index to Deaths, "Dec qtr 1852. Sackett, Louisa, 69. St Mary Magdalen Bermondsey. 1d:53."
- Burials Register, St James' Church, Bermondsey, Surrey (Ancestry image), "10 Oct 1852 Louisa Sackett, Perseverance Street, 69."
- "Freedom of the City of London Admission Papers, 1681–1925" (Ancestry image), Indenture of apprenticeship as shipwright, John Sackett, son of John Sackett of St Peter in Thanet, Kent, husbandman, to Henry Sackett, London, 25 February 1796. Consideration "faithfull service."
- "Freedom of the City of London Admission Papers, 1681–1925" (Ancestry image), "This is to certify the within named John Sackett was this 28th April 1809 admitted and sworn into the Freedom of the Shipwrights Company. Witness John Whetstone, Clerk."
- Will of John Sackett of St Peter in Thanet, Kent, 26 April 1823, proved at Archdeaconry Court of Canterbury, 7 April 1827 (Kent Archives Office, PRC 17-107-362).
- 1841 England census
Salisbury Lane, St Mary Magdalen, Bermondsey, Surrey
John Sackett, 59, shipwright, b. not Surrey
Louiesa Sackett, 57, b. not Surrey
Eli Sackett, 17, shipwright ap, b. Surrey
HO107; Piece 1048; Book: 4; Civil Parish: St Mary Magdalen Bermondsey; County: Surrey; Enumeration District: 9; Folio: 8; Page: 8; Line: 24; GSU roll: 474649.
- 1851 England census
6 Perseverence Court, Bermondsey, Surrey
Vincent Sackett, head, married, 44, fellmonger, b. Kent, Deptford
Elizabeth Sackett, wife, 36, b. Middlesex, Shoreditch
Mary A. Sackett, dau, 12, b. Surrey, Bermondsey
Elizabeth Sackett, dau, 9, b. Surrey, Bermondsey
Vincent Sackett, son, 4, b. Surrey, Horselydown
Jemima Sackett, dau, 2, b. Surrey, Bermondsey
Louisa Sackett, dau, 1 month, b. Surrey, Bermondsey
Laura Sackett, mother, widow, 67, b. Essex, West Ham
|Sackett line||5th great-grandson of Thomas Sackett the elder of St Peter in Thanet|
|Charts||Line 3 (English)|
Sackett shipwrights of London
|Last Edited||23 Oct 2022|