Vincent Edward Sackett
|Father||John Sackett (1782-1851)|
|Mother||Louisa ___ (c 1784-1852)|
Vincent was admitted by patrimony into the freedom of the Shipwright's Company on 6 July 1830. (There is no record of his ever having worked as a shipwright. All other records indicate that he was a fellmonger.)9 He soon after became financially insolvent and was to appear at the Court of Relief of Insolvent Debtors in Lincoln's Inn Fields, London, on 12 November 1830, to apply for release from prison, presumably having reached an agreement with his creditors.10
In 1841 Vincent was living at Salisbury Lane, St Mary Magdalen, Bermondsey, SurreyG, and was recorded in the census as Vincent Sackett, a fellmonger, aged 35 and born in Surrey. The other members of his household were his wife Betsey, aged 30 and also born in Surrey, and his children, Henry, 10, Mary Ann, 2, and Betsey, aged two months.11
In 1851 he was living at 6 Perseverance Court, Bermondsey, SurreyG, and was recorded as Vincent Sackett, head of household, a fellmonger, aged 44 and born in Deptford, Kent. The other members of his household were his wife Elizabeth, aged 44 and born in Shoreditch, Middlesex, his children, Mary A, 12, Elizabeth, 9, Vincent, 4, Jemima, 2, and Louisa, aged one month, and his mother, Laura , a widow, aged 67 and born in West Ham, Middlesex.12
In 1861 he was living at 62 Gedling Street, Bermondsey, SurreyG, and was recorded as Vincent Sackett, a fellmonger, head of household, married, aged 55, and born in Rotherhithe. Living with him were his wife Elizabeth aged 54 and born in Shoreditch, and son Vincent aged 14 and born in Horselydown.13
In 1871 Vincent's widow Elizabeth was living at 15 Napoleon Street, Bermondsey, SurreyG, and was recorded in the census as Elizabeth Sackett, a staymaker, a widow, aged 64, and born in Bermondsey.14
Children of Vincent Edward Sackett and Elizabeth "Betsey" Issell
- Henry Vincent Sackett b. 14 Oct 1828, d. 1845
- Elizabeth Justina Sackett b. 4 Feb 1831
- Samuel James Sackett b. 11 May 1833, d. 1838
- Vincent Edward Sackett b. 23 Feb 1835, d. 1838
- Robert Nicholas John Sackett b. 28 Jan 1837, d. 1838
- Mary Ann Elizabeth Sackett+ b. 13 Jan 1839
- Elizabeth Mary Ann Sackett b. 1841
- Vincent John Sackett+ b. 1846, d. 30 Nov 1915
- Jemima Ann Sackett b. 1849, d. 1852
- Louisa Sackett b. 1851, d. 1852
Notes & Citations
- A fellmonger prepared skins for leather-making and/or dealt in hides and skins.
- Baptisms Register, St Mary Rotherhithe, Surrey, "12 January 1806 Vincent Edward s. John & Louisa Sackett, b. 22 November 1805."
- General Register Office, Online Index to Deaths, "Mar qtr 1870. Sackett, Vincent Edwd, 64. St Olave. 1d:184."
- Burials Register, City of London and Tower Hamlets Cemetery (Ancestry image), "3 Jan 1870, Vincent Edward Sackett, of Napoleon Place, Bermondsey, 64 yrs."
- Marriages Register, St Mary, Newington, Surrey, "20 January 1828 Vincent Edward Sackett, of this parish, & Elizabeth Issell, of this parish. Witnesses: John Sackett, Louisa Sackett."
- 1851 England census
6 Perseverance Court, Bermondsey, Surrey
Vincent SACKETT, head, M, 44, fellmonger, b. Deptford, Kent
Elizabeth SACKETT, wife, M, 44, b. Shoreditch, Middlesex
Mary A SACKETT, dau, 12, b. Bermondsey
Elizabeth SACKETT, dau, 9, b. Bermondsey
Vincent SACKETT, son, 4, b. Horselydown, Surrey
Jemima SACKETT, dau, 2, b. Bermondsey
Louisa SACKETT, dau, 1m, b. Bermondsey
Laura SACKETT, mother, wid, 67, b. West Ham, Middlesex
- General Register Office, Online Index to Deaths, "Sep qtr 1883. Sackett, Elizabeth, 77. St Olave. 1d:165."
- Burials Register, City of London and Tower Hamlets Cemetery (Ancestry image), "17 Sep 1883, Elizabeth Sackett, of Napoleon Place, Dockland, 77 yrs."
- "Freedom of the City of London Admission Papers, 1681–1925" (Ancestry image), Certificate of admission by patrimony of Vincent Sackett, born without the Liberty of the City, to wit at Rotherhithe, Surrey, son of John Sackett, shipwright, into Freedom of the Shipwright's Company, London, 6 July 1830.
- The London Gazette, digital image, (https://www.thegazette.co.uk), 22 Oct 1830, "The Court of Relief of Insolvent Debtors.
The Matters of the Petitions and Schedules of the Prisoners hereinafter named ... are appointed to be heard at the Court-House, in Portugal Street, Lincoln's-Inn-Fields, on Friday 12 November 1830 ...
Sackett, Vincent Edward (sued and committed by the name of Vincent Sackett), formerly of White's Grounds, Bermondsey, and at the same time of No. 21, Salisbury-lane, Dock-Head, Bermondsey, Fellmonger, and late of No. 21, Salisbury-lane, Dock-Head, Bermondsey, aforesaid, all in the County of Surrey, Journeyman Fellmonger."
- 1841 England census
Salisbury Lane, St Mary Magdalen, Bermondsey, Surrey
Vincent Sackett, 35, fellmonger, b. Surrey
Betsey Sackett, 30, b. Surrey
Betsey Sackett, 2 Mo, b. Surrey
Henry Sackett, 10, b. Surrey
Mary Ann Sackett, 2, b. Surrey
HO107; Piece 1048; Book: 4; Civil Parish: St Mary Magdalen Bermondsey; County: Surrey; Enumeration District: 9; Folio: 10; Page: 12; Line: 23; GSU roll: 474649. [Also researched at PRO by Marion Sackett].
- 1851 England census
6 Perseverence Court, Bermondsey, Surrey
Vincent Sackett, head, married, 44, fellmonger, b. Kent, Deptford
Elizabeth Sackett, wife, 36, b. Middlesex, Shoreditch
Mary A. Sackett, dau, 12, b. Surrey, Bermondsey
Elizabeth Sackett, dau, 9, b. Surrey, Bermondsey
Vincent Sackett, son, 4, b. Surrey, Horselydown
Jemima Sackett, dau, 2, b. Surrey, Bermondsey
Louisa Sackett, dau, 1 month, b. Surrey, Bermondsey
Laura Sackett, mother, widow, 67, b. Essex, West Ham
- 1861 England census
62 Gedling St., Bermondsey, Surrey
Vincent Sackett, head, married, 55, fellmonger, b. Rotherhithe, Surrey
Elizabeth Sackett, wife, 54, b. Shoreditch, Surrey
Vincent Sackett, son, 14, errand boy, b. Horselydown, Surrey.
- 1871 England census
15 Napoleon St., Bermondsey, Surrey
Elizabeth Sackett, [relationship blank], widow, 64, staymaker, b. Bermondsey.
|Sackett line||6th great-grandson of Thomas Sackett the elder of St Peter in Thanet|
|Charts||Line 3 (English)|
Sackett shipwrights of London
|Last Edited||10 Jul 2017|