Captain John Sackett
|Father||William Sackett (1727-1802)|
|Mother||Anna Lawrence (1731-1798)|
John was named as a beneficiary in his father's will made in Newtown, Long IslandG, on 7 June 1798. He was left the farm in Newtown.6
John Sackett was a soldier in the American Revolutionary War. He was later commissioned in the Militia, becoming Captain of the Queens County Regiment in 1793.7
388. Capt. John Sackett, 1755–1819, of Newtown, L. I., son of (122) William and Anne Lawrence Sackett, was married to Elisabeth Gibbs of Connecticut. Mr. Sackett was a Revolutionary soldier. He served in the ranks of Col. John Harper's Levies and in other commands. After the war he took an active part in reorganization of the Militia, and in 1798 was commissioned First Lieutenant of Capt. Remson's Company of the Queens County Regiment, and served as such until 1793, when he succeeded Capt. Remson and commanded his company until 1804.
931. Lawrence Sackett, b. Sept. 14, 1786.
932. Anne Sackett, b. Feb. 24, 1791; m Peter Gorsline.
933. Mary Sackett, b. Apr. 28, 1793; m.  Joseph Lawrence.
934. Patience Sackett, b. July 21, 1795, d. unmarried.
935. Elisabeth Sackett, b. Dec. 18, 1799, d. unmarried.
936. Amy Sackett, b. June 6, 1804, d. unmarried.
Children of Captain John Sackett and Elizabeth Gibbs
- William Sackett+ b. 23 Feb 1784, d. 4 Feb 1849
- Lawrence Sackett b. 14 Sep 1786
- John Leverich Sackett b. 18 Aug 1788, d. 7 Nov 1790
- Anna Sackett b. 24 Feb 1791
- Mary Sackett+ b. 28 Apr 1793
- Patience Sackett b. 21 Jul 1795, d. 2 Jun 1828
- Elizabeth Gibbs Sackett b. 8 Nov 1797, d. 10 Sep 1799
- Elizabeth Gibbs Sackett b. 18 Dec 1799, d. 22 Dec 1830
- Amy Sackett b. 6 Jun 1804
Notes & Citations
- Charles Weygant, The Sacketts of America, "388. John Sackett, b. July 27, 1755, d. May 12, 1819; m. Elizabeth Gibbs."
- Baptisms Register, Presbyterian Church, Newtown (now Elmhurst), Queens County, Long Island, N.Y., "1755, Sept. 28. John, s. of William Sackett."
- Date of marriage based on birth of first child.
- Baptisms Register, Presbyterian Church, Newtown (now Elmhurst), Queens County, Long Island, N.Y., "1790, Dec. 15. Elizabeth, wife of John Sackett."
- Register of Deaths, Presbyterian Church, Newtown (now Elmhurst), Queens County, Long Island, N.Y., "1836, May 27, Mrs. Elisabeth Sackett, widow of John Sackett."
- "Abstracts of Wills, Administrations and Guardianships in NY State, 1787-1835", digital image, American Ancestors, Will of William Sackett of New Town, Queens County, NY, proved 13 May 1802.
- Website National Society Daughters of the American Revolution, "Sackett, John
Service: New York
Birth: 1755, Newton, New York
Death: 1819, Newton-Prob, New York
Service Description: Col John Harper's Levies
Residence: Newton, Long Island, New York
Spouse: Elizabeth Gibbs."
|See also||Thurmon King's Database, 7047|
|Appears in||Sacketts in the Military|
|Sackett line||5th great-grandson of Thomas Sackett the elder of St Peter in Thanet|
|Charts||Line 3a (American)|
|Last Edited||30 Aug 2021|