Edward Curtis Sackett
|Father||Norman Sackett (1788-1834)|
|Mother||Mary Goudy (-1833)|
Edward served in the US Army, enlisting at Cleveland, Cuyahoga County, OhioG, on 6 September 1849 in Company I, 5th Infantry Regiment. He was discharged at Fort Washita on 25 June 1851.6
In 1860 Edward was living at Mount Auburn, Christian County, IllinoisG, and was recorded in the census as E C Sacket, a farmer, aged 28 and born in Ohio. Living with him were his wife Mary, 28, and their children, John, 3, and Edward, aged two.7
Edward served in the Union Army during the American Civil War, enlisting as a Private at DeWitt County, Illinois, on 27 July 1861 in the 41st Regiment Illinois Volunteer Infantry. He rose through the ranks and was promoted to 2nd Lieutenant in October 1862. He was injured by a shell burst during the Battle of Jackson, Tennessee, in July 1863, causing damage to his hearing. He was discharged at the expiration of his term of service at Springfield, Illinois, on 20 August 1864.
In 1870 he was living in Woodville, Greene County, IllinoisG, and was recorded as Ed Sackett, a teacher, aged 38 and born in Ohio. Living with him were his second wife Mary, 27, Edward's son Norman, 13, and Edward and Mary's children, Harriet, 3, and William, aged one.8
In 1880 he was living in Woodville, Greene County, IllinoisG, and was recorded as Eduard Sackett, a teacher, head of household, married, aged 48. Living with him were his wife Mary, 35, and children, Harriet, 13, William, 11, Francis, 8, Charles, 6, Ernest, 3, and James, aged one.9
In 1900 Edward's wife Mary was living in Carrollton, Greene County, IllinoisG, and was recorded as Mary E Sackett, head of household, aged 56. The family home was owned free of mortgage. Living with her were her unmarried children, Harriet, 33, James, 21, and Elsie, aged 19. Mary's son Ernest was living next door with his family.10
In 1910 he was an inmate, aged 78, with the rank of sergeant at the Soldiers & Sailors Home, Riverside, Adams County, IllinoisG. He was also the census enumerator.11 In 1910 Mary was living at Pine Street, CarrolltonG, and was recorded as Mary Sackett, head of household, aged 66. She was mistakenly listed as widowed. Living with her were her unmarried daughter Elsie, 30, and grandson (Ernest's son) Ralph, aged ten.12
(Martha) Elsie Sackett, Mary (Bradley) Sackett, Edward Curtis Sackett, Henry Ashman Sackett, Harriet Selima Sackett
(Src: Myra Roper)
Children of Edward Curtis Sackett and Mary Ann Morgan
Children of Edward Curtis Sackett and Mary E Bradley
- Harriet Selina Sackett+ b. 15 Nov 1866, d. 18 Aug 1932
- William Mason Sackett+ b. 21 Apr 1869, d. 25 Jul 1919
- Francis Absolom "Frank" Sackett b. 4 Sep 1871, d. 14 Nov 1952
- Charles Marion Sackett+ b. 19 May 1874, d. 10 Nov 1966
- Ernest Claudius Sackett+ b. 21 Jan 1877, d. Aug 1965
- James Curtis Sackett+ b. 10 Mar 1879, d. 11 Sep 1942
- Elsie Martha Sackett+ b. 2 Jul 1880, d. 1950
Notes & Citations
- Charles Weygant, The Sacketts of America.
- Civil War record.
- Charles Cook Bronson, History of Tallmadge and the Western Reserve 1804–1886, p 100A, "Edward Curtis [Sackett], born July 10th, 1831. His residence is Berdan, Green Co., Ill."
- "Illinois Death Index 1908–1988" (Ancestry transcript), "Sackett, Edward C, b. Ohio, 6 Jul 1831, d. Bluffdale, Greene, IL, 13 Mar 1917, bur. Carrollton, Greene, IL, 15 Mar 1917, age 85, retired school teacher, widower, father Norman Sackett b. CT, mother Gowdy."
- "US Army, Register of Enlistments, 1798–1914" (Ancestry image), "Register no 301, Sackett, Edward C, 18, hair sandy, complexion florid, ht 5' 8½", b. Ohio, Summit Co, farmer, enlisted 6 Sep 1849, at Cleveland, by St Hayman, 5 Inf Regt, Company I, discharge 25 Jun 1851, by order, at Fort Washita, Private."
- 1860 United States census
Roll: M653_161; Page: 886; Image: 224; Family History Library Film: 803161
Mount Auburn, Christian County, Illinois
Sacket, E C, 28, farmer, personal estate $300, b. OH
Sacket, Mary A, 28, domestic, b. IL
Sacket, John N, 3, b. IL
Sacket, Edward C, 2, b. IL.
- 1870 United States census
Roll: M593_224; Page: 134A; Image: 266535; Family History Library Film: 545723
Woodville, Greene County, Illinois
Sackett, Ed, 38, teacher, personal estate $300, b. OH
Sackett, Mary, 27, hk, b. IL
Sackett, Norman, 13, b. IL
Sackett, Sackett, 3, b. IL
Sackett, Wm, 1, b. IL.
- 1880 United States census
Woodville, Greene, Illinois
Eduard Sackett, head, married, 48, b. OH, teacher, father b. CT, mother b. Ireland
Mary Sackett, wife, 35, b. IL, keeping house, father b. TN, mother b. TN
Harriet Sackett, dau, 13, b. IL, at school, father b. OH, mother b. IL
William Sackett, son, 11, b. IL, at school, father b. OH, mother b. IL
Francis Sackett, son, 8, b. IL, father b. OH, mother b. IL
Charles Sackett, son, 6, b. IL, father b. OH, mother b. IL
Ernest Sackett, son, 3, b. IL, father b. OH, mother b. IL
James Sackett, son, 1, b. IL, father b. OH, mother b. IL.
- 1900 United States census
Roll: 303; Page: 25A; Enumeration District: 0020; FHL microfilm: 1240303
Carrollton, Greene County, Illinois, 28 Jun 1900
[next door to son Ernest Sackett]
Sackett, Mary E, head, b. Sep 1843, 56, m. 34y, 7 ch, all living, b. IL, father b. TN, mother b. TN, home owned free of mortgage
Sackett, Harriet S, dau, b. Nov 1866, 33, single, b. IL, father b. OH, mother b. IL
Sackett, James C, son, b. Mar 1879, 21, single, b. IL, father b. OH, mother b. IL, carpenter
Sackett, Elsie M, dau, b. Jul 1880, 19, single, b. IL, father b. OH, mother b. IL, at school.
- 1910 United States census
Roll: T624_229; Page: 1B; Enumeration District: 0028; FHL microfilm: 1374242
Soldiers & Sailors Home, Riverside, Adams County, Illinois, 15 Apr 1910
Sackett, Edward C, inmate, 78, m2. 44y, b. OH, father b. CT, mother b. Ireland, sergeant, S & S Home
[Edward was also the census enumerator].
- 1910 United States census
Roll: T624_289; Page: 17A; Enumeration District: 0033; FHL microfilm: 1374302
Pine Street, Carrollton, Greene County, Illinois, 27 Apr 1910
Sackett, Mary, head, 66, wd [sic], 7 ch, all living, b. IL, father b. TN, mother b. TN
Sackett, Elsie, dau, 30, single, b. IL, father b. OH, mother b. IL, telephone office, hello girl
Sackett, Ralph, gdau [sic], 10, b. IL, father b. IL, mother b. IL.
|Appears in||Sacketts in the Military|
|Sackett line||7th great-grandson of Thomas Sackett the elder of St Peter in Thanet|
|Charts||Line 3a (American)|
|Last Edited||28 Sep 2022|