Colonel Augustine Sackett
|Father||Homer Sackett (1765-1853)|
|Mother||Sarah Carter (1768-1852)|
Augustine Sacket was a militiaman, becoming commanding officer of the 11th New York Infantry Regiment.
Augustine was listed in the census in 1820, 1830 and 1840 as a householder in CanandaiguaG.5,6,7
Augustine was named as a beneficiary in his father's will made at WarrenG in 1844. When the estate came to be valued in June 1853, it was found to be insolvent.
Children of Colonel Augustine Sackett and Arze Starr
1521. Colonel Augustine Sacket, 1789–18__, son of (657) Homer and Sarah Carter Sacket, was married, Nov. 31, 1814, to Arze Starr, 1793-1871, daughter of Platt Starr, of Litchfield, Conn. Colonel Sacket was a successful farmer and a thorough going business man. He was born on a farm in Warren, Litchfield County, Conn., and in 1812 removed to Canandaigua, Ontario County, N. Y., where he and his brother Theron purchased jointly a small farm, to which they added from time to time, and gradually improved until it became one of the most productive and valuable farms in Ontario County. Theron Sacket never married and several years previous to 1850 sold his interest to his brother, Colonel Augustine.
The History of Ontario County, published in 1876, by Everts, Ensign and Everts, contains pictures of Colonel and Mrs. Sacket, together with that of the commodious and attractive dwelling in which they resided. Mr. Sacket was, like many of his kinsmen, an enthusiastic militiaman. Several years after he became a resident of Canandaigua he was commissioned Ensign of the light infantry company and speedily passed through all of the intermediary grades to that of commanding officer of the 11th N. Y. Infantry Regiment.
3881. Frederick A. Sacket, m. Mary Cazart.
3882. Henry Sacket, m. 1st, Betsey Cazart.
3883. George B. Sacket.
3884. Jane Sacket, m. Rev. ___ Barr.
3885. Julia Sacket, unmarried 1891.
3886. Mary Sacket, m. James S. Cooley.
3887. Darius C. Sacket, b. Dec. 7, 1839, d. Feb. 10, 1871; m. Mitie Smith.
Notes & Citations
- Barbour Collection of Connecticut Vital Records, "Sackett, Augustin, s. Homer & Sarah, b. Apr. 24, 1789. Warren Vital Records, 1:115."
- Charles Weygant, The Sacketts of America, "1521. Augustus Sacket, b. Apr. 21, 1789; m. Azie Starr."
- Howard Carter, Genealogy of Descendants of Thomas Carter ... of MA and CT, Norfolk, CT (1909), digital image, Ancestry.com, pp 50–51, "Augustine [Sackett, son of Homer Sackett and Sarah Carter] b. April 25, 1789; d. —; m. March 31, 1814, Arze Starr, b. June 11, 1793; d. Nov. 20, 1871, dau. of Platt and Lucinda (Finney) Starr. 8 ch. He was an enthusiastic militiaman and eventually became Colonel 11th N.Y. Infantry Reg. Res. Canandaigua, N.Y."
- "Connecticut, Church Record Abstracts, 1630–1920" (Ancestry image), Church of Christ, Warren, "Sackett, Augustine, m. Erza Starr, 31 Mar 1814. 2:22a."
- 1820 United States census, "Augustus Sackett, Canandaigua, Ontario, New York, 2 males under 10, 2 males 26-44, 1 female under 10, 1 female 26-44, total 6."
- 1830 United States census, "Augustine Sackett, Canandaigua, Ontario County, New York State, 2 males 5-9, 1 male 10-14, 3 males 20-29, 1 male 40-49, 1 female under 5, 1 female 5-9, 1 female 10-14, 1 female 15-19, 1 female 30-39, 1 female 40-49, total 13."
- 1840 United States census, "Augustin Sackett, Canandaigua, Ontario County, New York State, 1 male under 5, 1 male 15-19, 2 males 20-29, 1 male 50-59, 1 female 5-9, 2 females 10-14, 1 female 20-29, 1 female 40-49, total 10."
|Appears in||Sacketts in the Military|
|Sackett line||6th great-grandson of Thomas Sackett the elder of St Peter in Thanet|
|Charts||Line 3a (American)|
|Last Edited||23 Nov 2023|