|Father||Ozem Sacket (1736/37-1801)|
|Mother||Mercy Weller (c 1745-1812)|
Charles was named as a beneficiary in his father's will made at WestfieldG on 26 June 1799. He was left various specified lands.
Charles and Sarah migrated west from Boston in 1824, settling in Louisville, Kentucky.
Charles was named as a beneficiary in his brother Ozem's will made in WestfieldG on 13 March 1846. He was to receive a share calculated in the proportion of $500 of the estimated $2,300 total land value.10
Charles died on a return visit to Westfield in 1848, his wife Sarah remaining in Louisville. He was perhaps considering moving back to Westfield and settling on the land left to him by his brother Ozem. Sarah died in 1862 in New Albany, Indiana, across the river from Louisville.
496. Charles Sackett, 1780–1848, of Westfield, Mass., son of (166) Ozem and Mercy Weller Sacket, was married, Oct. 21, 1810, to Sarah Woods. In 1824, Mr. Sackett determined to leave New England with his family and find a new place of abode in the southwest. From Boston he traveled first by water to Philadelphia, and from thence, after a short sojourn, by wagons to Pittsburg, where he secured passage on a flat-boat, which carried the family down the Ohio River to Harrison's Creek. From there they, after a short period, again moved in a flat-boat on down the Ohio to Mauckport, from which point they journeyed in wagons through the wilderness to Corydon, Ind., where they purchased a farm; but a little later removed to Louisville, KY., which became their permanent home. In 1849, Mr. Sackett revisited Westfield, and died and was buried there.
1093. Charles Sackett, b. May 13, 1813, d. Ap. 7, 1904; m. Joyce Gresham.
1094. Ozem Sackett, d. unmarried.
Children of Charles Sackett and Sarah Woods
Notes & Citations
- Charles Weygant, The Sacketts of America, "496. Charles Sacket, b. in year 1780, d. in year 1848; m. Sarah Woods."
- Vital Records (LDS), Westfield, Massachusetts, B:89.
- "Westfield, Massachusetts, Birth and Death Records (Dougherty abstracts)" (American Ancestors transcript), "Sacket, Charles, s. Ozem & Mercy Wellar, b. Feb. 9, 1780."
- "Baptisms performed in the Church of Christ, Westfield, Massachusetts, 1679–1836" (American Ancestors transcript), "1790 Sacket, Charles s. Ozim & Mercy, Nov. 21."
- "U.S. Federal Census Mortality Schedules, 1850–1885" (Ancestry image), "Sacket, Chas, d. Westfield, Hampden, MA, Dec 1849, age 66, b. MA, married, cause typhoid fever."
- Find a Grave.
- "Massachusetts, Town and Vital records, 1620–1988" (Ancestry image), Boston marriages, "21 Oct 1810, Charles Sacket & Sally Wood, married by the Rev J S Buckminster."
- Death record.
- Find a Grave, "NADL [New Albany Daily Ledger] 13 Aug 1862 p2 c 3: Died, In this city, on Tuesday, the 12th inst., of typhoid fever, Mrs. Sarah Woods Sackett, in the eighty-third year of her age. The funeral will be held at the residence of her son, Charles Sacket, on Lower First street, between Market and Spring, this (Wednesday) afternoon."
- "Massachusetts, U.S., Wills and Probate Records, 1635-1991" (Ancestry image).
|Sackett line||5th great-grandson of Thomas Sackett the elder of St Peter in Thanet|
|Charts||Line 3a (American)|
|Last Edited||3 Jun 2022|