Lieutenant Daniel Sackett
|Father||William Sackett (1727-1802)|
|Mother||Anna Lawrence (1731-1798)|
Daniel Sackett served in the American Revolutionary War. On 1 July 1780 he was a Lieutenant in the 1st Regiment, New York Levies.8,9
The death on 8 April 1789 of a negro boy belonging to Daniel Sackett is recorded in the Milford vital records.10
In 1790 Daniel was living in Milford, New Haven County, ConnecticutG. In his household were one white adult male, two white females, and one slave.11
Daniel's wife Martha was admitted to the First Congregational Church, MilfordG, on 25 July 1790. She transferred her membership on 27 May 1810 to the Second Church in Milford.12,13
Daniel was named as a beneficiary in his father's will made in Newtown, Long IslandG, on 7 June 1798. He was left the farm in Milford, Connecticut, where he was already established.14
In 1800 Daniel was recorded in the census living in MilfordG.15
In 1810 he was recorded living in MilfordG.16
In 1830 and 1840, Daniel's widow Martha was recorded living alone in MilfordG. She was aged 80 in 1840.17,18
Martha was listed in the 1841 census of Revolutionary War pensioners. At the reference date of 1 June 1840, she was living in MilfordG and was aged 80.19
389. Lieut. Daniel Sackett, 1759–1822, of Newtown, L. I., and Old Milford, Conn., son of (122) William and Anne Lawrence Sackett, was married to Martha Green. He died at Old Milford, leaving no descendants. In the war of the Revolution he was Lieutenant of Capt. Livingston's Company, of Colonel Malcomb's Regiment.
Notes & Citations
- Charles Weygant, The Sacketts of America, "389. Daniel Sackett, b. Mar. 29, 1759, d. Jan. 7, 1822; m. Martha Green."
- Baptisms Register, Presbyterian Church, Newtown (now Elmhurst), Queens County, Long Island, N.Y., "1759, May 13. Daniel, s. of William & Anna Sackett."
- Barbour Collection of Connecticut Vital Records, "Sackett, ––, Col., d. [ ], 1822. Milford Vital Records, BP:46."
- "Connecticut, Hale Cemetery Inscriptions and Newspaper Notices, 1629–1934" (Ancestry image), Inscription, Milford Center Cemetery, Milford, New Haven County "Sackett, Col. Daniel, died Jan 8, 1822, age 63 yrs, Revolutionary War marker."
Columbian Register (New Haven), 19 Jan 1822, "Sackett, Col. Daniel, Milford, Revolutionary War, age 63, [no date]."
Connecticut Herald (Hartford), 22 Jan 1822, "Sackett, Daniel, Col., Milford, age 63, [no date]."
Connecticut Journal (New Haven), 22 Jan 1822, "Sackett, Col. Daniel, Milford, Revolutionary War, age 63, [no date]."
35:74, Hartford Times, 22 Jan 1822, "Sackett, Daniel (Col), Milford, age 16 [sic], [no date]."
- Barbour Collection of Connecticut Vital Records, "Sockett, Daniel, m. Martha Green, June 16, 1763, by Samuel Wales. Milford Vital Records, 1:164." [Date is an error in Barbour; m. date per pension records 16 June 1782]
- Connecticut Private Records, New Haven Co, Deaths & Marriages, 1824–1883 (an index typed from a set of cards based on marriages and deaths taken from the original copy of New Haven County private records, 1824–1883, which was purchased from Mr Samuel Tannenbaom, book dealer, Hartford, CT, April 15, 1951.), "Sackett, Mrs., d. Dec 1, 1842, ”old”, page 18."
- "U.S., Compiled Revolutionary War Military Service Records, 1775-1783" (Ancestry transcript), "Sackett, Daniel, military date 1 Jul 1780, military place New York, unit 1st Regiment, New York Levies (1780), rank Lieutenant."
- "New York Military in the Revolution" (Ancestry transcript), "Sackett, Daniel, New York, (Malcom), Lieut."
- Barbour Collection of Connecticut Vital Records, "Sackett, Daniel, had negro boy d. Apr. 8, 1789. Milford Vital Records, SM:39."
- 1790 United States census
Daniel Sacket. Milford, New Haven, CT. 1 white male (16+), 2 white females, and 1 slave.
- "Connecticut, Church Record Abstracts, 1630–1920" (Ancestry image), Milford, First Congregational, "Sackett, Martha, w. Daniel, adm. ch. 25 Jul 1790. 1:54."
- "Connecticut, Church Record Abstracts, 1630–1920" (Ancestry image), Milford, First Congregational, "Sackett, Daniel, Col., his w., dism. & recom. 27 May 1810 to 2nd church "in this place". 1:93."
- "Abstracts of Wills, Administrations and Guardianships in NY State, 1787-1835", digital image, American Ancestors, Will of William Sackett of New Town, Queens County, NY, proved 13 May 1802.
- 1800 United States census
Milford, New Haven, Sackett, Daniel, 000 20 - 001 10.
- 1810 United States census
Milford, New Haven, Sackett, Daniel, 011 010 - 000 11.
- 1830 United States census
Milford, New Haven, Sackett, Martha, household of 1 female.
- 1840 United States census
Milford, New Haven, Martha Sackett, 80.
- 1840 United States census
"Connecticut, New Haven County, Milford, Martha Sackett, age 80, head of family."
|Appears in||Sacketts in the Military|
|Sackett line||5th great-grandson of Thomas Sackett the elder of St Peter in Thanet|
|Charts||Line 3a (American)|
|Last Edited||17 May 2023|