Harold Frank Sackett
|Father||Milton Betts Sackett (1882-1943)|
|Mother||Ilah Mae Wismer (1898-1960)|
In 1920 Harold was living in Franklin, Lenawee County, MichiganG, in the household of his parents Milton and Ilah, and was recorded in the census as Harold Sackett, aged two months and born in Michigan.9
In 1930 he was living in FranklinG in the household of his parents Milton and Ilah, and was recorded as Harold F Sackett, aged ten.10
Harold completed a World War II draft registration card on 1 July 1941. He was aged 21 and was a factory worker at the United Stove Company in Ypsilanti. Next of kin was his father Milton.11
Harold served in the US Air Force during the Second World War, enlisting at Fort Custer, Battle Creek, Calhoun County, MichiganG, on 5 February 1942 and being released on 7 December 1945.12,13,14
Harold and Ruth were listed in the Adrian City Directory in 1950.15
Harold was appointed US Postmaster at Holloway, Lenawee CountyG, on 11 January 1957.16
Harold Frank Sackett of Clinton and Ruth Sellers of Adrian.
—The Daily Telegram, Adrian, Michigan, 21 Jan 1944
Miss Ruth Sellers, daughter Mr. and Mrs. Arthur Sellers of Adrian, and Pfc. Harold Sackett, Wendover Field, son of Mrs. Ilah Mae Sackett of Clinton, were married Tuesday evening at 8 o'clock at the Church of the Nazarene. The vows were spoken before a candle-lighted altar banked with gladioluses, snapdragons, and daffodils. The Rev. George Johnston performed the ceremony.
Miss Lois Hatt played the processional. The men's trio, Lloyd Willett, Floyd Dickerson, and Harold Willett, sang "Rose of Sharon." The bridal party entered the church to the strains of the wedding march from Lohengrin.
The bride, given in marriage by her father, was lovely in her floor-length bridal gown of white marquisette embroidered with white sprays of lilies-of-the-valley tied with bows. Tiny satin buttons extended down the back of the gown to the dropped waistline. Long tight fitting sleeves came to points over the hands. The skirt was gathered at the hips and fell in a train. Her fingertip veil of illusion was bordered with wide white lace and fastened with a tiara of lilies-of-the-valley. The bride carried an orchid on a white Bible with streamers tied with carnation buds.
Miss Mary Sackett, sister of the bridegroom, attended the bride. She wore a pale pink satin gown and a shoulder length veil. She carried a bouquet of pink roses.
Milton Sackett was his brother's attendant.
For her daughter's wedding. Mrs. Sellers wore a black silk dress trimmed in white. Mrs. Sackett wore a print crepe dress.
Following the ceremony a reception was held at the Sellers home for relatives and attendants.
The bride is a graduate of Adrian high school and has been employed at Hurd Lock & Mfg. Co. Mr. Sackett attended Clinton high school. They will leave for Salt Lake City, Utah, Feb. 1.
—The Daily Telegram, Adrian, Michigan, 26 Jan 1944, p 6
Ruth E. Sackett
Ruth E. Sackett, age 91, of Adrian passed away Oct. 18, 2015, at home peacefully with her family.
She was born June 14, 1924, in Lake City, Mich., the daughter of Arthur and Caroline (Eubank) Sellers. On Jan. 25, 1945, she married Harold F. Sackett. He preceded her in death in March of 1992.
Ruth was a member for many years at Bethany Assembly of God Church in Adrian. She was very gifted in several crafts. Ruth was a very loving and devoted mother and a special friend to many. She enjoyed spending much of her time with her children and grandkids whom she loved very much. Ruth will be sadly missed, as she went home to be with The Lord.
She is survived by her children, Merrill Sackett, Marty Sackett, Marianne Carmody, Max (Coral) Sackett and Michelle (Elmer) Gubbe; 16 grandchildren; 26 great-grandchildren; three great-great-granchildren; and her brother, Hubert Sellers.
She was preceded in death by her husband, Harold; three sons, Monte Dale Sackett, Mark Sackett and Michael Sackett; one daughter, Marjean Sackett; one brother, Milford Sellers; one sister, Joanne Mitchell; and her second husband, Owen Smith.
Funeral services will be held at 11 a.m. Thursday, Oct. 22, 2015, at J. Gilbert Purse Funeral Home, 2959 N. Adrian Highway, Adrian, with Pastor Ron Sparks officiating. Burial will follow at Tipton Cemetery. Visitation will be from 2 to 4 and 6 to 8 p.m. Wednesday, Oct. 21, 2015, at the J. Gilbert Purse Funeral Home, Adrian. wwwPurseFuneralHome.com.
To Plant Memorial Trees in memory, please visit our Sympathy Store.
Published in The Daily Telegram from Oct. 20 to Oct. 21, 2015.
Children of Harold Frank Sackett and Ruth E Sellers
Notes & Citations
- Death record.
- "U.S. Social Security Applications and Claims Index, 1936–2007" (Ancestry transcript), "Sackett, Harold Frank, b. Lenawee County, Michigan, 4 Dec 1919, d. 4 Mar 1992, father Milton B Sackett, mother Ila Wismer. Nov 1939 listed as Harold Frank Sackett; 4 Jun 1993 listed as Harold F Sackett."
- US Social Security Administration, "Social Security Death Index" (American Ancestors transcript), "Harold F Sackett, b. Dec 4, 1919, d. Mar 4, 1992, SSN 372-14-9675 issued MI, residence unknown."
- "Michigan, Death Index, 1971–1996" (Ancestry transcript), "Sackett, Harold F, d. Adrian, Lenawee, Michigan, 4 Mar 1992, of Adrian, Lenawee, Michigan, b. 4 Dec 1919."
- Find a Grave.
- "Michigan, Marriage Records, 1867–1952" (Ancestry image), "25 Jan 1944, Adrian, Lenawee, Michigan, Mr Harold Frank Sackett, 24, of Clinton, Michigan, b. Michigan, US Army, father Milton Sackett, mother Ilah M Wismer; to Miss Ruth Sellers, 19, of Adrian, MI, b. MI, father Arthur Sellers, mother Caroline Eubank. Both 1st m. By Geo L Johnston, Minister of Gospel. Witnesses: Mary Sackett, MIlton Sackett, bothe of Clinton, MI."
- The Daily Telegram, Adrian, Michigan (Newspapers.com image), 21 Jan 1944, Marriage Licenses, "Harold Frank Sackett of Clinton and Ruth Sellers of Adrian."
- 1920 United States Federal Census
Roll T625_781, p 11B, Enumeration District 71
Franklin, Lenawee, Michigan, 21 Jan 1920
Sackett, Milton, head, 36, farmer, general farm, b. OH, father b. MI, mother b. OH, home owned on mortgage
Sackett, Ilah, wife, 21, b. MI, father b. Canada, mother b. MI
Sackett, Harold, son, 2/12, b. MI, father b. OH, mother b. MI
Sackett, Maria, stepmother, 64, wd, b. MI, father b. PA, mother b. PA.
- 1930 United States Federal Census
Page 1A, Enumeration District 0026, FHL microfilm 2340742
Franklin, Lenawee, Michigan, 2 Apr 1930
Sackett, Milton B, head, 47, m. at 36, farmer, general farming, b. OH, father b. OH, mother b. OH, home owned
Sackett, Ilah M, wife, 32, m. at 21, b. MI, father b. Canada, mother b. MI
Sackett, Harold F, son, 10, b. MI, father b. OH, mother b. MI
Sackett, Mary J, daughter, 8, b. MI, father b. OH, mother b. MI
Sackett, Herbert W, son, 7, b. MI, father b. OH, mother b. MI
Sackett, Geraldine E, daughter, 5, b. MI, father b. OH, mother b. MI
Sackett, Milton B, son, 3 3/12, b. MI, father b. OH, mother b. MI
Dull, Lena, servant, 67, wd, m. at 20, servant, private family, b. OH, father b. Germany, mother b. Germany.
- "U.S. WWII Draft Cards Young Men, 1940–1947" (Ancestry image), "Harold Frank Sackett, RD1, Clinton, Franklin, Lenawee, Michigan, age 21, b. Clinton, Michigan, 4 Dec 1919, occ farming & factory worker, nok Milton B. Sackett, Clinton, emp United Stove Co., Ypsilanti, Wayne, MI, race white, ht 5 10, eyes brown, wt 165, hair brown, complexion ruddy. Reg Adrian, Lenawee, Michigan, 1 Jul 1941."
- "US Department of Veterans Affairs BIRLS Death File" (Ancestry transcript), "Sackett, Harold F, b. 4 Dec 1919, d. 4 Mar 1992, branch AF, enlisted 5 Feb 1942, discharged 7 Dec 1945."
- "US World War II Army Enlistment Records, 1938–1946" (Ancestry transcript), "Sackett, Harold F, single, without dependents, b. Michigan, 1919, res Lenawee, Michigan, educ 2 years of high school, occ Semiskilled mechanics and repairmen, n.e.c., enlisted Fort Custer, Michigan, 5 Feb 1942, ht 69, wt 155."
- "U.S., World War II Hospital Admission Card Files, 1942-1954" (Ancestry image), "Sackett, Harold F, 25, admitted Casper AAB, Wyoming, Jan 1945, discharged Station Hospital, Feb 1945, treatment appendectomy."
- "US City Directories, 1822-1995" (Ancestry image), Adrian, Michigan, City Directory, 1950, "Sackett Harold (Ruth) asmblr Stearns Mfg r Onsted."
- "US Appointments of US Postmasters, 1832–1971" (Ancestry image), "Harold F Sackett, Holloway, Lenawee, Michigan, 11 Jan 1957."
|Appears in||Sacketts in the Military|
|Sackett line||5th great-grandson of Captain Richard Sackett of New York|
|Charts||Line 3a (American)|
|Last Edited||19 Apr 2021|