|Father||Enoch Sackett (between 1760 & 1765-before 1850)|
Delaney was listed in the 1840 census as a householder in Kelso, Dearborn CountyG. He was aged 20-29. Others in the household were a female, 15-19, who would have been Charlotte, and a male under five who would have been their son Wentworth.7
A record for Delaney in the 1850 census has not been found. Charlotte was then living with Elijah Sacket, who may have been Delaney's brother. Elijah was listed as a cooper, aged 48 and born in New York. Charlotte was stated to be 36 [but was more likely about 26], born in New York, and children in the household were Wentworth, 10, Margaret, 6, William, 5, Mary, 3, and Sarah, aged one.8
Charlotte became a member of the Methodist Church in Greensburg, Decatur CountyG, on 3 February 1858 and was baptized there on 22 August 1858.9
In 1860 Charlotte, aged 35, was living in Washington, Decatur County, IndianaG. Her children, William, 15, Sarah, 10, and Joseph, aged six, were living with her.10
In 1880 she was living in Cloverdale, Putnam County, IndianaG, in the household of her son William and daughter-in-law Emma, listed as Charlotte A Sackett, a widow aged 56.11
Apart from the records of Delaney's marriage in 1838 and the 1840 census, the only other record found for Delaney is that of his daughter Sarah's marriage in 1884 when she named her parents as Delaney Sackett and Charlotte Phelps.
On the evidence of Sarah's parentage, it is assumed that the other children in Elijah's household in 1850 were her elder siblings and therefore also Delaney's children. It is further assumed that Delaney had died by 1850 and that Charlotte had married Elijah. Charlotte's son Joseph, born in about 1854, would then have been Elijah's child.
Another hypothesis is that Delaney and Elijah were the same man. While there is no conflicting evidence against this possibility, the distinct names suggest it is unlikely.
Children of Delaney Sackett and Charlotte Ann Phelps
Notes & Citations
- A record for Delaney in the 1850 census has not been found.
- "Indiana, Marriages, 1810–2001" (Ancestry transcript), "Marriage Registration, Indiana, 22 Dec 1838, Delaney Sackett & C Ann Phelps."
- "Indiana, Marriages, 1810–2001" (Ancestry transcript), "Marriage Registration, Indiana, 22 Dec 1838, Delancey Sackett & C Ann Phelphs."
- "Indiana, U.S., Marriage Index, 1800–1941" (Ancestry transcript), "Marriage Index, Dearborn, Indiana, 27 Dec 1838, Delancy Sackett & G Ann Phelphs."
- "Indiana, U.S., WPA Death Index, 1882-1920" (Ancestry transcript), "Sockett [sic], Charlotte, d. Shelby County, 5 Apr 1897, aged 73."
- 1840 United States census, "Delaney Sackett, Kelso, Dearborn County, Indiana, 1 male under 5, 1 male 20-29, 1 female 15-19, total 3."
- 1850 United States Federal Census
Roll M432_141, p. 324A
Logan, Dearborn, Indiana
Elijah Sacket, 48, cooper, b. NY
Charlotte A Sacket, 36, b. NY
Wentworth Sacket, 10, b. IN
Margaret C Sacket, 6, b. IN
William H Sacket, 5, b. IN
Mary J Sacket, 3, b. IN
Sarah A Sacket, 1, b. IN.
- "Indiana, U.S., United Methodist Church Records, 1837-1970" (Ancestry image), "Sacket, Charlotte Ann, membership, 3 Feb 1858, Greensburg, Indiana."; "Sacket, Charlotte, membership, 8 Feb 1858, Greensburg, Indiana."; "Sacket, Charlotte Ann, baptism, 22 Aug 1858, Greensburg, Indiana."
- 1860 United States Federal Census
Roll M653_253, p 766, FHL film 803253
Washington, Decatur County, Indiana
Sacket, Charlotte, 35, housewife, b. NY
Sacket, William H, 15, b. IN
Sacket, Sarah, 10, b. IN
Sacket, Joseph, 6, b. IN.
- 1880 United States Federal Census
Cloverdale, Putnam, Indiana
William H. Sackett, head, married, 34, b. IN, farmer, father b. NY, mother b. NY
Emma A. Sackett, wife, 27, b. OH, keeping house, father b. VA, mother b. Germany
Samuel A. Sackett, son, 8, b. IN, father b. IN, mother b. OH
Ida M. Sackett, dau, 6, b. IN, father b. IN, mother b. OH
Homer E. Sackett, son, 5, b. IN, father b. IN, mother b. OH
Leroy W. Sackett, son, 3, b. IN, father b. IN, mother b. OH
Becca J. Sackett, dau, 1, b. IN, father b. IN, mother b. OH
Charlotte A. Sackett, mother, widow, 56, b. NY, at home, father b. NY, mother b. NY
Franklin Minnick, other, 17, b. IN, laborer, father b. ---, mother b. ---
FHL 1254306 NA T9-0306/581B (TEK, TCS).
|Sackett line||3rd great-grandson of John Sackett of New Haven|
|Charts||Line 4 (American)|
|Last Edited||24 Jul 2023|