Harry Dyer Sackett
|Father||Harry Martin Sackett (1879-1948)|
|Mother||Nancy B Dyer (1884-1948)|
In 1920 Harry was living at Holmes Street, Kansas CityG, in the household of his parents Harry and Nancy, and was recorded in the census as Harry Sackett Jr, aged three and born in Missouri.10
In 1930 he was living in Kansas CityG in the household of his parents Harry and Nancy, and was recorded as Harry D Sackett, aged 14.11
Harry was listed in the 1933 and 1934 Kansas City Directories. He was living with his parents Harry and Nancy.12
Harry completed a World War II draft registration card on 16 October 1940. He was aged 24 and was employed by the Calvin Company. He was living in Kansas CityG with his wife Mary.13
In 1940 he was living at Troost Avenue, Kansas City, Jackson County, MissouriG, and was recorded as Harry D Sackett, a film laboratory technician in a motion picture film processing company, head of household, aged 24. His wife Mary, 20, a stenographer in a radio sales agency, was living with him.14
Harry served in the US Navy as a cinematographer in Washington, DC, during the Second World War. He enlisted on 14 December 1942 and was released on 21 July 1945.15,16
Harry and Mary were listed in the Johnson County, Missouri, Directory from 1958 to 1963. Harry was employed by various companies as a photographer.17
Harry D. Sackett, age 88, of Gainesville, FL, died on May 6, 2004, in the North Florida Rehab. and Specialty Care Center, Gainesville. He was the husband of Mary L. (Wampler) Sackett for 64 years. Born in Kansas City, MO, he was the son of the late Harry M. and Nancy (Dyer) Sackett. He was a graduate of Paseo High School and was a member of Swope Park Masonic Lodge #617 and was an Elder of the Linwood United Presbyterian Church. He served in the U.S. Navy as a cinematographer in Washington, D.C., during World War II. He was a Life Member of the Johnson County Chapter #34 of the Disabled American Veterans, holding all the Kansas State offices including State Commander. Harry was a member of the American Federation of Musicians for over 60 years. He owned a photographic company, Sackett Color Productions. He and his wife, Mary, moved to Gainesville, FL, one year ago from Shawnee Mission, KS. Along with his wife, Mary, he is survived by sons, Gary of High Springs, FL, and Larry of Williston, FL and daughter, Carol Sackett of San Franciso, CA. He is also survived by one grandson, six granddaughters, and two great-grandsons. A Funeral Service of Remembrance was held on Monday, May 10, 2004, at the Forest Lawn Funeral Home, Ocala, FL, with the Reverend Benson Cain of the Faith Presbyterian Church, Gainesville, FL, followed by interment in the Forest Lawn Memory Gardens, Ocala, FL.
(Arrangements: Forest Lawn Funeral Home, Ocala, FL)
The Kansas City Star, Missouri, 11 May 2004, p 77
(Src: Find A Grave, Marion County Genealogical Society)
Children of Harry Dyer Sackett and Mary Louise Wampler
- Larry W "Buck" Sackett b. c 1953, d. 19 Sep 2005
Notes & Citations
- Death record.
- Email from Carol Sackett to Sackett Discussion List, 28 Jan 2007.
- "U.S. Social Security Applications and Claims Index, 1936–2007" (Ancestry transcript), "Sackett, Harry Dyer, b. Kansas City, MO, 26 Jan 1916, d. 6 May 2004, father Harry M Sackett, mother Nancy B Dyer. Listed Jan 1937 as Harry Dyer Sackett; 11 May 2004 as Harry D Sackett."
- US Social Security Administration, "Social Security Death Index" (American Ancestors transcript), "Harry D Sackett, b. Jan 26, 1916, d. May 6, 2004, SSN 495-09-5876 issued MO, residence Gainesville, Florida, 32606, county Alachua."
- Find a Grave.
- "Missouri, Marriage Records, 1805–2002" (Ancestry image), "2 Mar 1940 affidavit for license sworn at Jackson County, MO. Harry D Sackett, 24, & Mary Louise Wampler, 20. Both of KC, Jackson County, MO."
"9 Mar 1940 Harry D Sackett & Mary Louise Wampler. Both of Jackson County, MO. At Jackson."
- The Kansas City Times, Missouri (Newspapers.com image), 5 Mar 1940, p 8, "Marriage Licenses, Issued in Kansas City, Mo, Harry D Sackett, Kansas City, 24, Mary Louise Wampler, Kansas City, 20."
- "Social Security Death Index" (Ancestry transcript), "Mary Louise Sackett, b. 1 Jan 1920, d. 2 Mar 2011, SSN 500-03-6237 issued MO, residence 32606, Gainesville, Alachua, Florida."
- 1920 United States Federal Census
Roll: T625_926; Page: 8A; Enumeration District: 100
Holmes Street, Kansas City, Jackson County, Missouri, 10 Jan 1920
Sackett, Harry M, head, home rented, 40, married, b. MO, father b. IN, mother b. IN, musician, orchestra
Sackett, Nancy D, wife, 35, b. MO, father b. IN, mother b. WI
Sackett, Harry Jr, son, 3 11/12, b. MO, father b. MO, mother b. MO
Dyer, Eugene, bro-in-law, 40, single, b. MO, father b. IN, mother b. WI
Brehm, Dilys, sis-in-law, 37, divorced, b. MO, father b. IN, mother b. WI
Brehm, Henry, nephew, 11, b. MO, father b. WI, mother b. MO.
- 1930 United States Federal Census
Page: 26B; Enumeration District: 0225; FHL microfilm: 2340937
Park, Kansas City, Jackson County, Missouri, 17 Apr 1930
Sackett, Harry M, head, home owned $2,500, 51, m. at 28, b. MO, father b. IN, mother b. IN, photographer, at home
Sackett, Nancy D, wife, 46, m. at 23, b. MO, father b. IN, mother b. WI
Sackett, Harry D, son, 14, b. MO, father b. MO, mother b. MO.
- "US City Directories, 1822-1995" (Ancestry image), Kansas City Directory, 1933, "Sackett Harry D student r4816 Prospect av."; 1934, "Sackett Harry D r3844 Mich av."
- "U.S. WWII Draft Cards Young Men, 1940–1947" (Ancestry transcript), "Harry Dyer Sackett, age 24, b. Kansas City, Jackson, MO, 26 Jan 1916, res. Kansas City, reg. Kansas City, 16 Oct 1940, emp. Calvin Company, wt 132, complexion sallow, eyes blue, hair brown, ht 5' 10", nok Mary Louise Sackett."
- 1940 United States Federal Census
Roll m-t0627-02168, p 2A, ED 116-92A
Troost Avenue, Kansas City, Jackson County, Missouri
Sackett, Harry D, head, 24, film laboratory technician, motion picture film processing co, b. MO, home rented, $26
Sackett, Mary, wife, 20, stenographer, radio sales agency, b. MO.
- "U.S. Veterans Gravesites" (Ancestry transcript), "Sackett, Harry D, service info: SP1 US Navy World War II, b. 26 Jan 1916, d. 6 May 2004, Forest Lawn Memory Gardens, 5740 South Pine Avenue, Ocala, FL."
- "US Department of Veterans Affairs BIRLS Death File" (Ancestry transcript), "Sackett, Harry, b. 26 Jan 1916, d. 6 May 2004, branch Navy, enlisted 14 Dec 1942, released 21 Jul 1945."
- "US City Directories, 1822-1995" (Ancestry image), Johnson County Directory, 1958, "Sackett Harry D (Mary L) with United Films (KCMo) h6339 Maple dr (PO M)."; 1960, "Sackett Harry D (Mary L) photog dir Real Estate Adv Assn h6339 Maple dr (PO M)."; 1962, "Sackett Harry D (Mary L) photog dir Pay-Eye Productions (KCMo) h6339 Maple dr (M)."; 1963, "Sackett Harry D (Mary L) photog dir Universal Photog (KCMo) h6339 Maple dr (M)."
|Appears in||Sacketts in the Military|
|Sackett line||9th great-grandson of Thomas Sackett the elder of St Peter in Thanet|
|Charts||Line 3a (American)|
|Last Edited||30 Jun 2023|