|Father||Joseph Sacket (1764-1842)|
Zelotus served as a private in a rifle battalion for five months in the War of 1812. He was honorably discharged and received 80 acres of land as payment.4,5
Zelotus was listed in the 1820 census as a householder in Naples, Ontario County, New York StateG.6 In 1830 he was a householder in Bristol, Ontario CountyG.7 He was probabaly also the Simon Z Sackett listed in NaplesG in 1840.8
Zelotus petitioned the Surrogate Court of Ontario County, New York, on 25 April 1844 requesting appointment as administrator of the estate of his father Joseph who had died intestate. He and co-administrator Otis Fuller subsequently sold the real estate, comprising about thirty acres with dwelling house and barn in the town of Naples on 5 June 1845.9
In 1850 Zelotus was living in NaplesG in the household of a Sarah Johnson, and was recorded in the census as Lotas Sacket, a carpenter, aged 62, and born in New York. The census record immediately preceded that of Orlin Sackett, suggesting that they lived next door to each other.10
Child of Zelotus Sackett and Sabrina ___
- Orlin Sackett+ b. 7 Oct 1824, d. 13 Dec 1905
Notes & Citations
- "New York, U.S. Census Mortality Schedules, 1850–1880" (Ancestry image), "Sacket, Zelotus, 83, widower, d. Hopewell, Ontario, New York, May 1870, pauper, cause old age, b. NY."
- Date of birth based on age at death.
- Headstone at Fairview Cemetery, Naples.
"Sabrina Wife of Zelotus Sackett Died Feb15 1843 Aged 48 Years."
United States of America
State of New York
County of Ontario
"On this 26th day of September A.D. one thousand eight hundred and fifty nine personally appeared before me a Justice of the Peace within and for the County and State aforesaid, Zelotas Sackett aged Seventy two years, a resident of Naples in the State of New York who being duly sworn according to law, declares that he is the identical Zelotas Sackett who was a Private in the Company commanded by Capt. Leonard Kellogg in the Manilus Rifle Batalion of Militia commanded by Maj. Charles Mosely in the War with Great Britain, declared by the United States, on the 18th day of June 1812. That he ____??_____ under the General Orders of the governor of this State, for the defence at Fort ?? on or about the Sixth day day of July A.D. 1812 for the term of Six months and continued in actual service in said War, for the term of five months and was honorably discharged from said service; for which he has received from the United States, his Land Warrant No. 16532 for Eighty acres, and that he has not received any additional pay for the said service, nor any portion of the sum directed to be paid him by the act entitled "An Act authorizing additional pay to be made,"&c, passed by the Legislature of the State of New York, October 21st, 1814, and that there is now due and payable to him, from the State of New York, the sum of Six 90/100 dollars, with interest thereon, agreeable to the said Law. ...[an accounting of the value of equipment issued] In the amount thirty nine dollars, which were depreciated, worn out, lost and destroyed in said service, for which he has not received payment, either in part or whole. And that the said sum, togather with his additional pay forty five 90/100 dollars, is justly due and payable to him, with interest theereon, for his services and contingent expenses in the Militia of said State, for its defence during the said War, as provided to be paid by the Act entitled "An Act for the relief of certain Volunteers" &c, passed April 21st 1818."
Josiah Porter Justice of the Peace."
- "U.S., War of 1812 Service Records, 1812-1815" (Ancestry transcript), "Sackett, Zelotus, 147 Reg't (Wood's), New York Militia, rank-induction Private, rank-discharge Private."; "Sackett, Zelotus, Detached Riflemen (Moseley's), New York Militia, rank-induction Private, rank-discharge Private."
- 1820 United States census, "Zelotus Sackett, Naples, Ontario County, New York State, 1 male under 10, 1 male 26-44, 1 female under 10, 1 female 16-25, total 4."
- 1830 United States census, "Zelotus Sackett, Bristol, Ontario County, New York State, 1 male under 5, 1 male 5-9, 1 male 10-14, 1 male 50-59, 1 female under 5, 1 female 5-9, 1 female 30-39, total 7."
- 1840 United States census, "Simon Z Sackett, Naples, Ontario County, New York State, 1 male 10-14, 1 male 15-19, 1 male 20-29, 1 male 50-59, 1 female 5-9, 1 female 10-14, 1 female 40-49, total 7."
- Thurmon King's database, Probate Court records, estate of Joseph Sackett.
- 1850 United States Federal Census
Roll: M432_571/22 (TEK)
Naples, Ontario County, NY
Johnson, Sarah 57 f NY
Johnson, Jeremiah 26 m laborer NY
Johnson, Huldah 15 f NY
Sacket, Lotas 62 m carpenter NY
[Record immediately precedes that for Orlen Sackett].
|Appears in||Sacketts in the Military|
|Sackett line||6th great-grandson of Thomas Sackett the elder of St Peter in Thanet|
|Charts||Line 3a (American)|
Thanet DNA chart 1
|Last Edited||27 Nov 2023|