Edmund Herbert Sackett
|Father||George Sackett (1852-1902)|
|Mother||Louisa Else (1852-1926)|
In 1901 Edmund was living at 3 Dartford Villas, Birchington, KentG, and was recorded in the census as Edmond H Sackett, aged five and born in Faversham, son of George Sackett.3
In 1911 he was living at 3 Perfects Cottages, BirchingtonG, in the household of his widowed mother Louisa, and was recorded as Edmund Sackett, a greengrocer's errand boy, aged 15 and born in Faversham.4
Edmund emigrated to Australia, arriving in Melbourne from London on the Norseman on 17 March 1914.5 He enlisted in the First World War on 20 June 1915 in the Australian Field Artillery, serving as a bombardier.6 He was killed in action on 8 October 1918 near Cambrai, FranceG,7,8 and was buried at the Bellicourt British Cemetery, Aisne, FranceG.8
Edmund is commemorated on the war memorial in The Square, Birchington, "Bomder E. H. Sackett, Aus. Field Art."
Notes & Citations
- General Register Office, Online Index to Births, "Mar qtr 1896. Sackett, Edmund Herbert. Mother: Else. Faversham. 2a:850."
- Baptisms Register, St Mary of Charity, Faversham, Kent (Findmypast image), "26 Mar 1896 Edmund Herbert Sackett son of George & Louisa, 41 Westgate Rd, plasterer."
- 1901 England census
3 Dartford Villas
George Sackett, head, married, 49, plasterer, worker, b. Margate, Kent
Louisa Sackett, wife, 48, b. Plurkley, Kent
Fredk G T Sackett, son, single, 23, plasterer, worker, b. Faversham, Kent
Stephen E Sackett, son, single, 17, apprentice to plumber, worker, b. Faversham
Lewis H Sackett, son, 15, telegraph messenger, worker, b. Faversham
Ernest Sackett, son, 13, plasterer's apprentice, worker, b. Faversham
Kate A Sackett, dau, 12, b. Faversham
Sidney F Sackett, son, 8, b. Faversham
Edmond H Sackett, son, 5, b. Faversham.
- 1911 England census
3 Perfects Cottages, Birchington, Kent
Louisa Sackett, head, 59, widow, parochial relief, b. Pluckley, Kent
Lillian Martha Sackett, dau, 30, single, b. Faversham, Kent
Louis Sackett, son, 25, married, (invalid), b. Faversham, Kent
Ernest Sackett, son, 23, single, milkman, worker, b. Faversham, Kent
Kate Sackett, dau, 22, single, domestic servant, b. Faversham, Kent
Sydney Sackett, son, 18, single, house boy (domestic), b. Faversham, Kent
Edmund Sackett, son, 15, errand boy greengrocer, b. Faversham, Kent
Alice Elmer, gdau, 13, school, b. Battersea, London.
- Website Victoria, Australia, Assisted and Unassisted Passenger Lists 1839–1923 (Ancestry.co.uk) (http://www.ancestry.co.uk), "Mr Edmund Sackett, 18, British, arr. Melbourne, 17 Mar 1914, from London, ship Norseman."
- Website National Archives of Australia, Australian Imperial Force, Enlistment Papers (http://naa12.naa.gov.au/), Australian Imperial Force. Attestation Paper of Persons Enlisted for Service Abroad.
"1138, Sackett, Edmond Herbert; unit: 8th Reinforcements 8th Light Horse Regiment, trans to 3rd. L.H. Reserve Regt.; joined: June 20th, 15.
Edmond Henry Sackett, b. Birchington on Sea, Kent, Eng, Btsh born, 19 yrs, farmer, single, next of kin (mother) Louisa Sackett, of 3 Perfects Cotts, Birchington on Sea, Eng; civil convictions?: no; ever discharged from HM Forces?: no; any military service?: 18 mos 4th Batt West Kent Regt, granted discharge; ever rejected as unfit for HM Service?: yes, [no grounds stated]; signed: E H Sackett, 20.6.15."
- Society of Genealogists, Monumental Inscriptions, Birchington, Kent, BIR/E460
"In loving memory of my dear husband Louis Henry Sackett who died 12 Dec 1911 after 2½ years of suffering patiently borne aged 26 years "Rest in peace"
Also of Edmund Herbert Sackett brother of the above, killed in action in France 8 Oct 1918 age 22 years 8 months
Also Louisa Sackett mother of the above, died 22 May 1926 age 73 years. "Her end was peace"
Lilian Martha Sackett, died 9 Dec 1943 aged 63 years."
- Website Commonwealth War Graves Commission (www.greatwar.nl), "Sackett, Edmond Herbert, Bombardier, service no. 1138, d. 08/10/1918, age 22, 12th A.F.A. Bde, Australian Field Artillery, nationality Australian, grave/memorial ref. V. R. 3., Bellicourt British Cemetery, Aisne, France, son of Louisa Sackett, of 3, Parfects Cottages, Birchington-on-Sea, Kent, England, and the late George Sackett. Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead."
|Appears in||Sacketts in the Military|
|Sackett line||8th great-grandson of Thomas Sackett the elder of St Peter in Thanet|
|Charts||Line 3 (English)|
|Last Edited||28 Apr 2022|