|Father||William Sackett (1847-1918)|
|Mother||Rachel Link (c 1843-1924)|
In 1881 Herbert was living at 8 Artillery Street, Canterbury, KentG, in the household of his parents William and Rachel, and was recorded in the census as Bertie Sackett, aged one month and born in Canterbury.8
In 1891 Herbert was living at 8 Artillery Street, Canterbury, KentG, in the household of his parents William and Rachel, and was recorded in the census as Bertie Sackett, a scholar, aged ten and born in Canterbury.9
In 1901 he was living at 3 Ivy Place, CanterburyG, in the household of his parents William and Rachel, and was recorded as Herbert Sackett, an attendant in an asylum, single, aged 20.10
Herbert served for twelve years as a private in the British Army in the 9th Lancers, enlisting at CanterburyG on 5 July 1901. He served again during the First World War as a Company Sergeant Major in the Royal Engineers, seeing active service in France from July 1915.11,12,13
In 1921 he was living at 52 Wincheap Street, CanterburyG, and was recorded as Herbert Sackett, a stoker in the Canterbury gas works, head of household, aged 40. Living with him were his wife Mary Jane, 42, and their children, Herbert, 11, William, 10, Thomas, 9, Percy, 5, and John, aged one.14
Children of Herbert Sackett and Mary Jane Ashby
Notes & Citations
- General Register Office, Online Index to Births, "Mar qtr 1881. Sackett, Bertie. Mother: Link. Blean."
- Baptisms Register, St Gregory, Canterbury, Kent (Findmypast image), "1 May 1881 Herbert Sackett s. William & Rachel Sackett, of 8 Artillery St, St Gregory's, stoker, by William Brandreth, Vicar."
- General Register Office, Online Index to Deaths, "Sep qtr 1963. Sackett, Herbert, 82. Canterbury. 5b:223."
- Marriages Register, Thanington, Kent, "29 November 1909 Herbert Sackett, 29, bachelor, labourer, of Wincheap Grove, & Mary Jane Ashby, 30, spinster, of Thanington. Both signed. Fathers: William Sackett, labourer; James Thomas Ashby, painter. Witnesses: John Henry Ashby, Alice Maud Ashby."
- General Register Office, Online Index to Marriages, "Dec qtr 1909. Sackett, Herbert. Bridge. 2a:1808."
- Date of birth based on age at death.
- General Register Office, Online Index to Deaths, "Jun qtr 1953. Sackett, Mary J, 73. Canterbury."
- 1881 England census
FHL 1341229, PRO RG11/0962/14/21
8 Artillary St, Canterbury St Gregory, Kent
William Sackett, head, married, 40, b. Deal, Kent, labr at gas works
Rachel Sackett, wife, 40, b. Chartham, Kent
William E. Sackett, son, unmarried, 18, b. Canterbury, Kent, grocers porter
Mary A. Sackett, dau, 13, b. Canterbury
Louisa Sackett, dau, 11, b. Canterbury, scholar
Olive Sackett, dau, 9, b. Canterbury, scholar
Ernest H. Sackett, son, 6, b. Canterbury, scholar
Percy Sackett, son, 4, b. Canterbury, scholar
Jessie Sackett, dau, 2, b. Canterbury
Bertie Sackett, son, 1 month, b. Canterbury.
- 1891 England census
8 Artillery Street, Canterbury, Kent
William Sackett, head, married, 47, engine driver at gas works, b. Deal
Rachel Sackett, wife, 48, b. Chartham
William E Sackett, son, unm., 28, grocer's assistant, b. Canterbury
Olive Sackett, dau, unm., 19, housemaid domestic, b. Canterbury
Ernest H Sackett, son, 16, gas works lab., b. Canterbury
Percy Sackett, son, 14, confectioner's assistant, b. Canterbury
Jessie Sackett, dau, 12, scholar, b. Canterbury
Bertie Sackett, son, 10, scholar, b. Canterbury.
- 1901 England census
3 Ivy Place, Canterbury, Kent
William Sackett, head, married, 56, engine driver gas works, worker, b. Chartham, Kent
Rachel Sackett, wife, 58, b. Chartham
Percy Sackett, son, single, 24, bricklayers' labourer, worker, b. Canterbury
Herbert Sackett, son, single, 20, attendant asylum, worker, b. Canterbury
George Sackett, [relationship not given], 7, b. Canterbury.
- "British Army Service Records, 1760–1915" (Findmypast image).
- "Britain, Campaign, Gallantry & Long Service Medals & Awards" (Findmypast transcript).
- "British Army Medal Index Cards, 1914-1920", digital image, The National Archives, "Sackett, Herbert, Company Sergeant Major, Royal Engineers, service no. 53258, reverted to Acting Corporal for misconduct, Victory Medal, British Medal, 1915 Star, Theatre of War France entry 25 Jul 1915. WO372/17."
- 1921 England census
52 Wincheap Street, Canterbury, Kent
Herbert Sackett, head, 40y 4m, married, b. Canterbury, stoker gas works, Canterbury Gas and Water Company, Castle Street
Mary Jane Sackett, wife, 42y, married, b. Canterbury, home duties
Herbert George Sackett, son, 11y, b. Canterbury
William James Sackett, son, 10y 9m, b. Canterbury
Thomas Ernest Sackett, son, 9y 8m, b. Canterbury
Percy Albert Sackett, son, 5y 10m, b. Canterbury
John Henry Sackett, son, 1y 8m, b. Canterbury.
|Appears in||Sacketts in the Military|
|Sackett line||8th great-grandson of Thomas Sackett the elder of St Peter in Thanet|
|Charts||Line 3 (English)|
|Last Edited||5 Nov 2022|