|Father||William Sackett (1769-1819)|
|Mother||Catherine Sargeant (c 1770-1855)|
In 1841 Henry was living at Lodysons, Orsett, EssexG, and was recorded in the census as Henry Sackett, a farmer, aged 35+ and born in Essex. Living with him were his wife Susannah, 25+, and one-year-old son William. Also in the household were a 45-year-old male servant (probably an agricultural labourer) and two 15-year-old female servants.10
In 1851 Henry was living at Long Orsett Farm, Orsett, EssexG, and was recorded in the census as Henry Sackett, head of household, aged 47 and born in Essex. He was a farmer with 300 acres, employing 15 men. Living with him were his wife Susannah, aged 36 and born in Warwickshire, and children, William, 11, Ellen, 9, Frank, 2, and Henry, one month. Also in the household were a cook and a nursemaid.11
In 1861 Henry's wife was living in OrsettG and was recorded as Susannah Sackett, a farmer's wife, aged 45, and born in St Peter's, Worcestershire. Living with her were her children, William, 21, Ellen, 19, Fanny, 7, Grace Edith, 5, and Sidney, aged three. Also in the household were a cook and a housemaid. It is not known where Henry was at the date of the census.12
In 1871 he was living at the Old Rectory, OrsettG, and was recorded as Henry Sackett, head of household, aged 67 and born in Orsett, a farmer and grazier employing five men or more on 300 acres. The other members of his household were his wife Susannah, aged 55 and born in St Peter's, Worcester, his unmarried daughter Ellen, 28, his sons, Frank, 22, and Sidney, 13, his daughters, Fanny, 17, and Grace, 15, and two female servants, a cook and a housemaid.13
Henry's will, made at OrsettG, was proved by his widow Susannah at the Principal Probate Registry on 4 February 1880. His personal estate was valued at under £1,000.14
In 1881 Henry's widow Susannah was living at Chapel Road, OrsettG, and was recorded in the census as Susannah Sackett, head of household, a widow aged 69 and born in Worcester. Living with her were her unmarried children, Frank, 32, and Fanny, 27. Also in the household was a female domestic servant.15
Children of Henry Sackett and Susannah Rea
- William Henry Sackett+ b. 1840, d. 26 Apr 1922
- Unnamed son Sackett b. 1840, d. 1840
- Ellen Sackett+ b. 1842, d. 1904
- Ann Sackett b. 1844, d. 1845
- Sidney Sackett b. 1845, d. 1849
- Frank Sackett+ b. 1848, d. 30 Jul 1897
- Henry Sackett+ b. Jan 1851, d. 19 Dec 1928
- Fanny Sackett b. 1854, d. 20 Sep 1922
- Grace Edith Sackett+ b. 1856, d. 14 Feb 1932
- Sidney Sackett+ b. 20 Mar 1858, d. 9 Mar 1945
Notes & Citations
- Baptisms Register, Orsett, Essex (England Births and Christenings, LDS FamilySearch), "17 June 1803 Henry Sackett, b. 2 May 1803, son of William & Catherine Sackett."
- General Register Office, Online Index to Deaths, "Dec qtr 1879. Sackett, Henry, 76. Orsett."
- Memorial Inscription, St Giles and All Saints, Orsett, Essex (Findmypast transcript), "1879 Henry Sackett."
- Marriage, St Martin, Worcester, Worcestershire (IGI), "2 May 1838 Henry Sackett & Susannah Rea."
- General Register Office, Online Index to Marriages, "Jun qtr 1838. Sackett, Henry. Worcester."
- Date of birth based on age at death.
- General Register Office, Online Index to Deaths, "Mar qtr 1883. Sackett, Susannah, 71. Orsett."
- Memorial Inscription, St Giles and All Saints, Orsett, Essex (Findmypast transcript), "1883 Susannah Sackett."
- 1841 England census
Lodysons, Orsett, Essex
Henry Sackett, 35, farmer, b. Essex
Susannah Sackett, 25, b. not Essex
William Sackett, 1, b. Essex
James Battom?, 45, MS, b. Essex
Hanah Kemspster, 15, FS, b. Essex
Caroline Smith, 15, FS, b. Essex
HO107; Piece 322; Book: 24; Civil Parish: Orsett; County: Essex; Enumeration District: 2; Folio: 36; Page: 25; Line: 20; GSU roll: 241360. [This record also appears with names but no other details under: HO107; Piece 322; Book: 24; Civil Parish: Orsett; County: Essex; Enumeration District: 2; Folio: 25; Page: 2; Line: 21; GSU roll: 241360.]
- 1851 England census
Henry Sackett, head, married, 47, farmer 300 acres, b. Essex, Orsett, empl. 15 men
Susannah Sackett, wife, 36, b. Warwickshire, St. Peters
William H. Sackett, son, 11, scholar, b. Essex, Orsett
Ellen Sackett, dau, 9, scholar, b. Essex, Orsett
Frank Sackett, son, 2, b. Essex, Orsett
Henry Sackett, son, 1 month, b. Essex, Orsett
Mary BattishallL, serv., unmarried, 21, cook, b. Essex, Bulpham
Eliza Ann Oakley[?], serv., unmarried, 17, nursemaid, b. Essex, Orsett.
- 1861 England census
Susannah Sackett, wife, 45, farmer's wife, b. St Peter's, Wor
William Sackett, son, 21, farmer's son, b. Orsett
Ellen Sackett, dau, 19, b. Orsett
Fanny Sackett, dau, 7, b. Orsett
Grace Edith Sackett, dau, 5, b. Orsett
Sidney Sackett, son, 3, b. Orsett
Harriet Ellingford, cook, 19, b. Hosudon, Essex
Mary Bradd, housemaid, 17, b. Chadwell, Essex.
- 1871 England census
Old Rectory, Orsett, Essex
Henry Sackett, head, 67, farmer and grazier, 300 acres, 5 men or more, b. Orsett
Susannah Sackett, wife, 55, b. St Peter's, Worc
Ellen Sackett, dau, unm., 28, b. Orsett
Frank Sackett, son, unm., 22, b. Orsett
Fanny Sackett, dau, unm., 17, scholar, b, Orsett
Grace Edith Sackett, dau, 15, scholar, b. Orsett
Emma Kimmings, serv., unm., 19, cook, b. Orsett
Susan Goodwin, serv., unm., 17, housemaid, b. Orsett
Sidney Sackett, son, 13, scholar, b. Orsett.
- Will of Henry Sackett of Orsett, Essex, date not known, proved at Principal Probate Registry, 4 February 1880 (Somerset House Indexes, unknown reference), "Henry Sackett, Orsett, Essex, died 6 November 1879 at Orsett. Will proved Principal Registry 4 February 1880. Personal estate under £1,000. Surviving executrix Susannah Sackett of Orsett, his widow."
- 1881 England census
FHL 1341422, PRO RG11/1754/21/9
Chapel Road, Orsett, Essex
Susannah SACKETT, head, widow, 69, b. Worcester
Frank SACKETT, son, unmarried, 32, b. Orsett, Essex, Cape Merchants clerk
Fanny SACKETT, dau, unmarried, 27, b. Orsett
Annie COWELL, servt, 14, b. Orsett, domestic servt.
|Sackett line||2nd great-grandson of Richard Sackett of South Weald, Essex|
|Charts||Line 6 (English)|
|Last Edited||5 Feb 2022|