|Father||Jonathan Sacket (1727-1777)|
|Mother||Hannah Phelps (1726/27-1803)|
Filer was named as a beneficiary in his grandmother Anne Filer's will made in Litchfield County, ConnecticutG, in June 1783.
He was probably the Philo Sacket listed in the 1790 census, living in Vershire, Orange County, VermontG.4
Filer was listed in the 1800 census as a householder in Panton, Addison County, VermontG.5
Filer considered settling in Canada. On 10 July 1802, then a hatter of Johnstown, Ontario, CanadaG, he filed a petition to buy 200 acres of land with a view to settling there with his wife and family. However, he did not follow through with the plan and, after two years had elapsed, the petition was dismissed on 3 August 1804.6
In June 1805 Filer became one of the earliest settlers of Chautauqua, New York StateG, the town having been formed the previous year from the town of Batavia. He was listed as an early settler of Ellery when that town was formed from Chautauqua in February 1821.7,8
In 1820 and 1830 he was a householder in Chautauqua, New York StateG.9,10
Filer was the Postmaster in ChautauquaG in 1825 and from 1827 to 1830.11
652. Filer Sacket, 1766–1834, of Litchfield, Conn; Adison, Vt; Aurelius, N. Y., and Chautauqua Co., N. Y., son of (202) Jonathan and Hulda Phelps Sacket, was married Dec. 12, 1787, to Deborah Waterman, of Lynn, N. H.
1463. Letus Sacket, b. Aug. 23, 1793, d. Feb. 3, 1853; m. five wives.
1464. Clara Sacket, b. Aug. 28, 1799, d. June 16, 1883; m. Alpheus Atwood.
1465. Harriet Sacket, b. Jan. 31, 1803, d. Sept. 11, 1879; m. Hanford Hall.
1466. Eliza Sacket, b. Dec. 24, 1806, d. Oct 28, 1879; m. Joseph See.
1467. Russel Sacket, b. May 27, 1809, d. May 6, 1873; m. Mary Hovey.
1468. Almira Sacket, b. Feb. 4, 1812, d. Nov. 1, 1895; m. Pleasant S. Wilson.
1469. Martha L. Sacket, b. Feb. 20, 1815; m. Alexander Griffith.
Children of Filer Sacket and Deborah Waterman
- Jonathan Sacket b. 7 Oct 1789, d. 17 Oct 1789
- Letus Sacket+ b. 23 Aug 1793, d. 3 Feb 1853
- Clara Sacket+ b. 28 Aug 1799, d. 16 Jun 1883
- Harriet Sackett b. 31 Jan 1803, d. 11 Sep 1879
- Eliza Sacket+ b. 24 Dec 1806, d. 28 Oct 1879
- Judge Russell Sacket+ b. 27 May 1809, d. 6 May 1873
- Almira Sacket b. 4 Feb 1812, d. 1 Nov 1895
- Martha L. Sacket b. 20 Feb 1815
Notes & Citations
- Charles Weygant, The Sacketts of America, "652. Filer Sacket, b. Apr. 10, 1766, d. Apr. 8, 1834; m. Deborah Waterman."
- Barbour Collection of Connecticut Vital Records, "[Sackett], Jabez, s. [Jonathan Jr. & Hannah], b. Apr. 10, 1766. Kent Vital Records, 1:185." This record may refer to a twin brother of Filer. However, no further record of a Jabez is found. It would seem more likely that the record refers to Filer, for whom a birth record has not otherwise been found, and that either the record was in error or there was a change of name.
- Donald Lines Jacobus, compiler, Descendants of Robert Waterman of Marshfield, Massachusetts, The Tuttle, Morehouse & Taylor Company, New Haven (1939), digital image, Ancestry.com, 1:367, "286. Deborah Waterman [dau. of Seth Waterman & Hannah Perkins], baptized at Halifax, Mass, 23 Oct. 1768, died ; married 12 Dec. 1787, Filer Sackett, born at Hebron, Conn, 10 Apr. 1766, died 8 Apr. 1834, son of Jonathan and Hannah (Phelps) Sackett."
- 1790 United States census
"Philo Sacket. Vershire, Orange, VT. 1 white male (16+) and 1 white female."
- 1800 United States census
"Filer Sacket, Panton, Addison County, Vermont."
- Thurmon King's database.
- Andrew W Young, "Early Settlers of Chautauqua County, New York", database, Rootsweb, Town of Chautauqua, Township 3, range 13, East of the Lake, "Jun 1805, Filer Sackett, lot no. not given." [Chautauqua was formed from the town of Batavia, 11 Apr 1804.]
- Andrew W Young, "Early Settlers of Chautauqua County, New York", database, Rootsweb, Town of Ellery formed from Chautauqua, Feb 1821, Filer Sackett listed as early settler.
- 1820 United States census
"Filer Sacket, Chautauqua, Chautauqua County, New York State."
- 1830 United States census
"Filer Sackett, Chautauqua, Chautauqua County, New York State."
- "Early Postmasters of Chautauqua County, New York", database, Rootsweb, Town of Chautauqua, "Filer Sackett, 1825, 1827–1830 when office was discontinued."
|Sackett line||5th great-grandson of Thomas Sackett the elder of St Peter in Thanet|
|Charts||Line 3a (American)|
|Last Edited||11 Nov 2022|