Jabez B Sackett
|Father||Zavan Sacket Sr (1751-1840)|
|Mother||Abigail Bills (c 1759-1842)|
Jabez was assessed for State and Town taxes in Huntington (formerly Norwich)G in 1813 and 1815.16
He was listed in the 1820 census as a householder in HuntingtonG.17
Jabez removed with his family from Massachusetts to Crawford County, PennsylvaniaG, in 1824.18 He was listed in the census in 1830 and 1840 as a householder in Mead, Crawford County, PennsylvaniaG.19,20
Jabez was ordained as an elder of the Central Presbyterian Church, MeadvilleG, in 1830 and installed in 1839.6
In 1850 Jabez was living in Mead, Crawford CountyG, and was recorded in the census as Jabez B Sackett, a farmer, aged 61 and born in Massachusetts. Living with him were his second wife, Emily, 52, their son Ozias, 13, Jabez's children from his first marriage, Jabez (Jr), 23, and Dewey, 21, and Jabez's siblings, Eliza, 47, and Royal, 52.21
In 1860 he was living in Meadville, Crawford CountyG, and was recorded as Jabes B Sacket, a farmer, aged 71. Living with him were his wife Emily, 63, his son Dewey, 31, and Dewey's wife Sarah, 30, with their daughter Mary, aged one month, and Jabez's brother Royal, 64.22
Jabez made his will in MeadG on 9 May 1862, naming as beneficiaries his wife Emily and children, EBR, Charles D, James W, Jabez B, L Dewey, and Ann A Sacket. He left land or equivalent cash amounts to each of his sons, with his son Levi Dewey taking over the home farm, with responsibility for the lifetime care of his father, stepmother Emily, and uncle Royal. Jabez also requested that suitable monuments be placed on the graves of his parents, sisters Dolly and Eliza, his first wife, and his son Ozias. The will was proved on 3 January 1871.
In 1870 he was living in Mead, Crawford CountyG, and was recorded as Jabez B Sacket, works on farm, aged 81. Living with him were his wife Emily, 73, and brother Royal Sacket, 74. They were living on the family farm, now run by Jabez's son Levi Dewey in accordance with Jabez's will.23
In 1880 Jabez's widow Emily was living in MeadG in the household of her son Dewey and daughter-in-law Mary, and was recorded in the census as Emely Sackett, aged 83.24
Date: 9 May 1862.
Proved: Crawford County, 3 Jan 1871.
Son E B R Sacket, 25 acres land valued at $500, already received.
Son Charles D Sacket, $500 to be raised from sale of 52-acre lot to west of EBR's lot & east of Herrick Road.
Son James W Sacket, $500 incl $300 already received, the remaining $200 to come from the above sale.
Son Jabez B Sacket, 25 acres of land, already received + $50.
Son L Dewey Sacket, who I select to live with me and provide for me, his mother, and uncle Royal, residue of lands & tenement.
Dau Ann A Sacket, $10.
Wife Emily E Sacket, widow's third + support by son L Dewey + remainder of cash after sales & bequests.
Further desire that suitable monuments be placed on graves of Father & Mother Sacket, sisters Dolly & Eliza, first wife (not named), & O H Sacket.
Executors: Wife Emily & son EBR.
Witnesses: William W Dewey, Almond Wright.
579. Jabez B. Sacket, 1788–1870, of Meadville, Pa., son of (184) Zaven and Abigail Bills Sacket, was married, May 4, 1815, to Ann Dewey, 17__–1832, daughter of Levi Dewey. His second wife, Emily ___, died May 15, 1852, aged 52.
1301. Charles D. Sacket, b. June 21, 1820, d. May 27, 1862; m. Mary A. Dickson.
1302. James W. Sacket, b. Aug. 30, 1822; m. Lizzie Johnson.
1303. Jabez B. Sacket, b. Feb. 1, 1827; m. Esther M. White.
1304. Dewey Sacket, b. Dec. 3, 1828; m. Sarah E. and Harriet Palmer.
1305. Ann A. Sacket, b. Jan. 1, 1832.
1306. Ozias H. Sacket, b. Dec. 23, 1836, d. Nov. 23, 1859.
1307. L. Dewey Sacket, m. Sarah ___.
[Later research indicates that 1304 Dewey and 1307 L. Dewey were the same]
(Src: Find A Grave, David)
Children of Jabez B Sackett and Anna Dewey
Child of Jabez B Sackett and Emily E Eells
- Ozias H Sackett b. 23 Dec 1836, d. 23 Nov 1859
Notes & Citations
- Charles Weygant, The Sacketts of America, "579. Jabez B. Sacket, b. Dec. 14, 1788, d. Nov. 17, 1870; m. Ann Dewey."
- Probably Jabez Bills Sackett (see son of same name).
- Adelbert M Dewey, Life of George Dewey, Rear Admiral, U.S.N., and Dewey Family History, Dewey Publishing Company, Westfield, MA (1898), digital image, Ancestry.com, p314, "202. Ann Dewey, dau. of Levi [& Mary Scott], b. Jan. 24, 1794, at Norwich, Mass.; d. Jan. 14, 1832, at Meadville, Pa.; m. May 4, 1815, Jabez B. Sackett, son of Zavan, b. Dec. 14, 1788; d. Nov. 17, 1870, ag. 81, at Meadville, Pa., where he was a farmer."
- Find a Grave.
- "U.S., Presbyterian Church Records, 1701-1970" (Ancestry image), Register of Elders, Central Presbyterian Church, Meadville, Pennsylvania, "Jabez B. Sacket, ordained 1830, installed 1839, d. 17 Nov 1870."
- Vital Records, Norwich (Huntington), Massachusetts, p179, "Intention of marriage between Mr Jabez B. Sacket & Miss Anna Dewey both of Norwich entered with me April 2d 1815 & published. William Hooker Jr., Town Clerk."
- Vital Records, Norwich (Huntington), Massachusetts, p231, "Jabez Sacket & Anna Dewey both of Norwich were joined together in the marriage covenant by Rev. B. Woodbridge July 4th 1815. Artemis Knight, T. Clerk."
- "Massachusetts, Town and Vital records, 1620–1988" (Ancestry image), Huntington, MA, birth, "2 Jan 1794, Anna Dewy, d. of Levi & Mary Dewy."
- Find a Grave, "In memory of Ann, wife of Jabez B. Sacket, who died Jan 14, 1832, æ 38 yrs."
- "Ohio, County Marriage Records, 1774–1993" (Ancestry image), Licence application, "13 Mar 1833, Trumbull, Ohio, Jabez B. Sackett, 21+, and Emily Eells, 18+, of Johnston township, Trumbull County, OH. Applicant Ozias S Eells."
Marriage, "15 Mar 1833, Trumbull, Ohio, Jabez B. Sacket and Emily Eells. By Ozias S Eells, Minister of the Gospel."
- Barbour Collection of Connecticut Vital Records, birth, "Eells, Emila [sic], d. Ozias & Phebe, b. Dec. 21, 1796."
- "Connecticut, Church Record Abstracts, 1630–1920" (Ancestry image), Barkhamsted, CT, "Eells, Emily d. Ozias & w., bp. 5 Feb 1797."
- Find a Grave, citing gravesite records.
- Gravestone, "Emily E / wife of / J B Sackett / 1796–1885."
- "Massachusetts, Town and Vital records, 1620–1988" (Ancestry image), Huntington, MA, 1811, "Jabez Sackett, personal estate $50, tax $3.00."; 1815, "Jabez Sacket, real estate $292.66, tax $15.10, personal estate $109, tax $6.54."
- 1820 United States census
"Jabez Sacket, Norwich, Hampshire County, Massachusetts."
- "Golden Wedding" report of son Edward Sackett, Evening Republican, Meadville, PA, 27 Apr 1889.
- 1830 United States census
"Jabez Sacket, Mead, Crawford County, Pennsylvania."
- 1840 United States census
"Jabez B Sackett, Mead, Crawford County, Pennsylvania."
- 1850 United States Federal Census
Roll M432_770, p. 153
Mead, Crawford, Pennsylvania
Sackett, Jabez B, 61, farmer, real estate $6,000, b. MA
Sackett, Emily E, 52, b. CT
Sackett, Jabez B, 23, farmer, b. PA
Sackett, Dewey, 21, b. PA
Sackett, Hosias, 13, b. PA
Sackett, Eliza, 47, b. MA
Sackett, Royal, 52, farmer, b. MA.
- 1860 United States Federal Census
Page 425, FHL film 805099
Meadville, Crawford, Pennsylvania, 4 Aug 1860
Sacket, Jabes B, 71, farmer, real estate $6000, personal estate $700, b. MA
Sacket, Emily, 63, b. CT
Sacket, Leway [sic], 31, farmer, b. PA
Sacket, Sarah, 30, b. NY
Sacket, Royal, 64, b. MA
Sacket, Mary, 1/12, b. PA
Sizer, Amanda, 25 or 35?, b. MA.
- 1870 United States Federal Census
Roll M593_1330, p 212B, FHL film
Mead, Crawford, Pennsylvania
Sacket, Jabez B, 81, works on farm, personal estate $170, b. MA
Sacket, Emily E, 73, keeping house, b. CT
Sacket, Royal, 74, b. MA.
[Next door to Levi Sacket]
- 1880 United States Federal Census
FHL 1255119 NA T9-1119/235A(2)
Mead, Crawford, Pennsylvania
Sackett, Dewey, head, 52, farmer, b. MA, father b. MA, mother b. MA
Sackett, Mary, wife, 51, housekeeper, b. PA, father b. PA, mother b. PA
Sackett, Mary, daughter, 20, school teacher, b. PA, father b. MA, mother b. PA
Sackett, Howard, son, 16, b. PA, father b. MA, mother b. PA
Sackett, Schuyler, son, 12, b. PA, father b. MA, mother b. PA
Sackett, Herman, son, 10, b. PA, father b. MA, mother b. PA
Sackett, Grace, daughter, 8, b. PA, father b. MA, mother b. PA
Sackett, Emely, mother, 83, widow, boarder, b. CT, father b. CT, mother b. CT
Hunter, Said, daughter, 21, school teacher, b. PA, father b. PA, mother b. PA.
|Sackett line||5th great-grandson of Thomas Sackett the elder of St Peter in Thanet|
|Charts||Line 3a (American)|
|Last Edited||31 May 2022|