George Oscar Sackett1
|Father||James W Sackett (1803-1887)|
|Mother||Nancy Beers (c 1815-c 1890)|
In 1850 George was living in Lumberland, Sullivan County, New York StateG, in the household of his parents James and Nancy, and was recorded in the census as Geo O Sacket, aged seven and born in New York.12
In 1860 he was living in LumberlandG in the household of his mother Nancy, and was recorded as George Sacket, a laborer, aged 25 (he was actually 17.)13
George served as a Union soldier in the American Civil War. He was a Corporal in H Company, 112th PA Volunteers (Heavy Artillery), enlisting on 9 February 1864 and being discharged on 29 January 1866. He drew a Civil War invalidity pension from November 1895 and his widow Ella received a widow's pension from April 1930.14,15
In 1870 he was living in Kidder, Carbon County, PennsylvaniaG, and was recorded as George Sackett, a worker in a sawmill, aged 24.16
In 1880 he was living in White HavenG and was recorded as George Sackett, a sawyer, head of household, aged 34. His wife Eliza, 26, was living with him.17
He was listed in the 1890 Veterans Schedules, detailing his service during the Civil War. He was living in White HavenG in 1890.14
At the time of Eliza's death in 1894 George was the postmaster in White HavenG.
In 1900 he was living at Northumberland Street, White HavenG, and was recorded as George O Sackett, a confectioner, head of household, aged 40 [he was 57]. He owned his home free of mortgage. Living with him were his second wife, Ella, 36, and her son James Dunbar, 14, of her first marriage.18
In 1910 he was living at Northumberland Street, White HavenG, and was recorded as George Sackett, owner of a novelty store, aged 67. Living with him were his wife Ella, 46, Ella's son James, 24, and daughter in-law Ida, 22.19
Yesterday morning about 10 o'clock a telegram was received by Dr. Marstellar announcing the death of Mrs. Elizabeth Sackett, wife of Postmaster Sackett, of this place. Mrs. Sackett has been under treatment for some time past. She continued to grow worse and finally, on Wednesday morning, Nov. 28, was taken to the Polyclinic Hospital at Philadelphia for treatment. Yesterday morning Mr. Sackett decided to go and see her, and left on the 9:10 train, only a short time before the news of her death came. The death of Mrs. Sackett is a severe blow to her large number of friends. She was a devoted wife, a good neighbor, and has always been a sincere Christian and truthful member of the M.E. church. The remains were brought home on the 12:10 L.V. train to-day, and taken in charge by Undertaker Kocher. As yet no arrangements have been made for the funeral.
—Wilkes-Barre Times, Wilkes-Barre, Pennsylvania, 4 Dec 1894, p 6.
Mrs Ella N. Sackett
Mrs. Ella N. Sackett, aged 68, widow of George Sackett, of White Haven, died last night at the residence of her sister, Mrs. Rose S. Starner, of 727 North 21st street, Allentown, following ten weeks' illness from a stroke. Mrs. Sackett, who was preceded in death by her husband and a son, located in Allentown about ten weeks ago to receive treatment at the Allentown hospital. Several weeks ago she was discharged and went to live with her sister while she was attempting to regain her health.
She was a member of the Eastern Star, White Haven, and the Methodist church of the latter place.
Surviving her are two sisters, Mrs. Rose Starner, of Allentown, and Mrs. Alice Hoffman, of Bowmanstown. Interment will be made in White Haven but no date has yet been set for the funeral.
—The Plain Speaker, Hazleton, Pennsylvania, 13 May 1931, p 24
SACKETT—In this city, May 12, 1931, Ella M., nee Serfoss, widow of George Sackett.
Relatives and friends are respectfully invited to attend funeral services in the Methodist church, White Haven, Pa., on Saturday, May 16, at 1.30 p.m., standard time. Interment in Laurel cemetery, White Haven.
—The Morning Call, Allentown, Pennsylvania, 14 May 1931, p 7
|Sackett line||7th great-grandson of Thomas Sackett the elder of St Peter in Thanet|
|See also||Thurmon King's Database, 6396|
|Appears in||Sacketts in the Military|
|Charts||Line 3a (American)|
Notes & Citations
- Charles Weygant, The Sacketts of America.
- Charles Weygant, The Sacketts of America, "2094a. George Oscar Sackett, b. Apr. 2, 1843; m. Eliza Carroll."
- Website Find A Grave (http://www.findagrave.com).
- "Pennsylvania, Death Certificates, 1906–1967", digital image, Ancestry.com, "Sackett, George O, d. White Haven, Luzerne County, Pennsylvania, 31 Mar 1930, married, age 87, retired, b. US, father b. US, mother b. US, informant Mrs Geo Sackett, White Haven, cause cerebral hemorrhage, bur. Laurel Cemetery, White Haven, 3 Apr 1930."
- Thurmon King's database, citing RootsWeb database giving age at death 39-9-5.
- "Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Death Certificates Index, 1803–1915", database, Ancestry.com, "Sackett, Eliza G, b. Whitehaven, PA, d. Polyclinic, Philadelphia, PA, 3 Dec 1894, age 41, married, bur. Whitehaven, 4 Dec 1894."
- "Pennsylvania, Marriages, 1852–1968", database, Ancestry.com, "21 Mar 1899, Luzerne, PA, George Sackett & Ella N Dunbar."
- Death record.
- "Pennsylvania, Death Certificates, 1906–1967", digital image, Ancestry.com, "Sackett, Ella N, d. Allentown, Lehigh County, PA, 12 May 1931, b. PA, 15 Oct 1862, age 68-6-27, widowed, husband George Sackett, father Samuel Serfoss b. PA, mother Rosetta Edwards b. England, informant Mrs George Starner, 727 N 21st St, cause failing compensation, bur. Laurel Cem, White Haven, 16 May 1931."
- 1850 US census, digital image from National Archives microfilm, Ancestry.com, Roll M432_603, p. 2
Lumberland, Sullivan, New York
Sacket, J W, 47, m, millwright, b. NY
Sacket, N, 35, f, b. NY
Sacket, L J, 15, f, b. NY
Sacket, William, 14, m, b. NY
Sacket, S E, 12, f, b. PA
Sacket, J E, 10, m, b. NY
Sacket, Geo O, 7, m, b. NY
Sacket, W N, 3, m, b. NY
Sacket, F A, 1, f, b. NY.
- 1860 US census, digital image from National Archives microfilm, Ancestry.com, Roll: M653_866; Page: 813; Family History Library Film: 803866
Lumberland, Sullivan County, New York, 26 Sep 1860
Sacket, Nancy, 59, b. NY
Sacket, James, 26, labourer, b. NY
Sacket, George, 25, labourer, b. NY
Sacket, Westly, 22, b. NY
Sacket, Francis, 16, f, b. NY
Sacket, Margaret, 12, b. NY
Sacket, Charles, 5, b. NY.
- "1890 Veterans Schedules", digital image, Ancestry.com, White Haven, Luzerne County, Pennsylvania, "George O Sackett, Corporal, H Company, 112 P V, enlisted 9 Feb 1864, discharged 29 Jan 1866, service 1y 11m 20d, PO address White Haven, Penn."
- "US Civil War Pension Index 1861–1934", digital image, Ancestry.com, "Sackett, George, dependent widow Sackett, Ella N, service H 2 Pa H A and Navy, filing as invalid 21 Nov 1895, PA, filing as widow 12 Apr 1930, PA."
- 1870 US census, digital image from National Archives microfilm, Ancestry.com, Roll: M593_1320; Page: 95A; Family History Library Film: 552819
Kidder, Carbon County, Pennsylvania, 11 Aug 1870
Sackett, George, 24, works in sawmill, b. NY.
- 1880 US census, digital image from National Archives microfilm, Ancestry.com, FHL 1255149 NA T9-1149/434C (TEK)
2nd Ward, White Haven, Luzerne, Pennsylvania
George Sackett, head, married, 34, b. NY, sawyer, father b. NY, mother b. CT
Eliza Sackett, wife, 26, b. PA, housekeeping, father b. PA, mother b. PA
Elen Hayo, other, single, 24, b. PA, father b. PA, mother b. Prussia.
- 1900 US census, digital image from National Archives microfilm, Ancestry.com, Page: 5; Enumeration District: 0149; FHL microfilm: 1241435
Northumberland St, White Haven, Luzerne County, Pennsylvania, 5 Jun 1900
Sackett, George O, head, b. Nov 1859, 40, m. 1y, b. PA, father b. NY, mother b. PA, confectioner, home owned freehold
Sackett, Ella N, wife, b. Oct 1863, 36, m. 1y, 1 ch, living, b. PA, father b. PA, mother b. England
Dunbarr, James A H, stepson, b. Nov 1885, 14, b. PA, father b. PA, mother b. PA, at school.
- 1910 US census, digital image from National Archives microfilm, Ancestry.com, Roll: T624_1370; Page: 4B; Enumeration District: 0129; FHL microfilm: 1375383
Northumberland Street, White Haven, Luzerne County, Pennsylvania, 18 Apr 1910
Sackett, George, head, 67, m2. 11y, b. NY, father b. NY, mother b. NY, merchant, novelty store, own account
Sackett, Ella, wife, 46, m2. 11y, 1 ch, living, b. PA, father b. PA, mother b. England
Dunbar, James A, son, 24, m1. 1y, b. PA, father b. PA, mother b. PA, merchant, novelty store, own account
Dunbar, Ida M, dau-in-law, 22, m1. 1y, b. PA, father b. Germany?, mother b. Germany?
|Last Edited||23 November 2019|