Walter Edward Sackett
|Father||Horace Norman Sackett (1849-1906)|
|Mother||Mary Jane Barrick (1861-1943)|
In 1900 Walter was living at Marine, Madison County, IllinoisG, in the household of his parents Horace and Mary, and was recorded in the census as Walter Sackett, aged seven and born in Illinois.6
In 1910 he was living at MarineG and was recorded as Walter Sackett, a farm laborer, aged 17. He was boarding in the household of John Kettler, a farmer.7
Walter completed a World War I draft registration card on 5 June 1917. He was aged 24 and was a station clerk at the Illinois Central Railroad. He was living at Marine, Madison CountyG.8
Walter served in France during the First World War as a private in the US Army, Company "F" 327th Infantry. He returned from Bordeaux, France, on the troopship USS Walter A Luckenbach on 7 May 1919, arriving at Camp Upton, Brooklyn, New York, on 18 May.9
In 1920 he was living at Alton Street, MarineG, in the household of his widowed mother Mary, and was recorded as Walter Sackett, a telegraph operator, aged 23 [actually 27], and single.10
In 1930 he was living in MadisonG and was recorded as Walter Sackett, a railroad clerk, head of household, aged 33 [he was 37]. Living with him were his wife Wilma, 26, and their children, Vernon, 7, Shirley, 5, and Audrey, aged three.11
Walter and Wilma were listed in the 1929 and 1931 Madison City Directories. Walter was a clerk at the Illinois Central Railroad.12
Walter completed a World War II draft registration card on 27 April 1942. He was aged 49 and was employed by the Illinois Central Railroad. He was living at 1729 Rhodes Street, Madison, IllinoisG, with his wife Wilma.13
Walter received a retirement pension from his employment in the railroad industry.14
Word was received in Marine Saturday afternoon that Walter Sackett of Madison had taken his own life at his home that morning. Mr. Sackett had been in ill health for the past year having suffered a nervous breakdown.
Mr. Sackett formerly of Marine has lived in Madison for sometime and was employed with the I.C.R.R.
He is survived by his wife, the former Wilma Nemnich, three daughters, one son and one grandchild, all of Madison, also two sisters, Mrs. Joe Bisgen of Marine and Mrs. Arthur Ochs of St. Louis.
Funeral services were held on Tuesday afternoon in Madison.
—Edwardsville Intelligencer, Madison County, Illinois, 20 Nov 1946
Funeral services for Walter E. Sackett, formerly of Marine, were held at Madison on Tuesday afternoon and burial was at Sunset Hill cemetery. Rev. Metcalfe officiated at the services.
The Ochs trio of St. Louis, nieces of Mr. Sackett, sang three songs, "It Is Well With My Soul," "Goodnight Here, Good Morning Up There" and "He Heals Every Heartache." The Mason lodge of Marine held services on Monday evening.
The Venice-Madison Post of American Legion had charge of guard duty and military rites at the grave.
—Edwardsville Intelligencer, 29 Nov 1946.
Wilma Louise Sackett, 1712 Fourth st., Madison, Ill., entered into rest June 17, 1966, 8:15 p.m., dear mother of Vernon Sackett, Shirley Jane Goff, Audrey Ann Nagy and Doris Speckman, dear sister of Hilda Smith, Katherine Oswald, Ann Cheney, Bess Harman, Otto, Oliver, Joe, John and Leo Nemnich, dear grandmother and mother-in-law.
Remains will lie in state at Lahey Funeral Home, 501 Madison av., Madison, Ill., until 11:30 a.m. Tues., June 21, thence taken to Methodist Church of Madison, 1661 Fifth st., Madison, where services will be conducted 1 p.m. Interment Sunset Hills Cemetery, Edwardsville, Ill.
—St Louis Post-Dispatch, Missouri, 19 Jun 1966, p 50.
Children of Walter Edward Sackett and Wilma Louise Nemnich
Notes & Citations
- Death record.
- "U.S. Social Security Applications and Claims Index, 1936–2007", database, Ancestry.com, "Sackett, Walter Edward, b. New Douglas, Illinois, 11 Sep 1892, father Horace N Sackett, mother Mary J Menick. Listed Feb 1937 as Walter Edward Sackett."
- "Illinois, Deaths and Stillbirths Index, 1916–1947", database, Ancestry.com, "Sackett, Walter Edward, b. New Douglas, IL, 11 Sep 1892, d. Madison, Madison County, IL, 16 Nov 1946, bur. Sunset Hill Cemetery, Edwardsville, Madison County, 19 Nov 1946, clerk, res. Madison, father Horace Sackett b. OH, mother Mary J Barrick, spouse Wilma Louise."
- 1900 US census, digital image, Ancestry.com, Page: 1; Enumeration District: 0058; FHL microfilm: 1240326
Marine, Madison County, Illinois, 1 Jun 1900
Sackett, Horace, head, b. Nov 1849, 50, m. 14y, b. OH, father b. Ireland [sic], mother b. Ireland [sic], day laborer, home rented
Sackett, Mary J, wife, b. Sep 1861, 40 [sic], m. 14y, 5 ch, 4 living, b. IL, father b. IL, mother b. OH
Sackett, Mabel, dau, b. Aug 1887, 12, b. IL, father b. OH, mother b. IL, at school
Sackett, Pearl, dau, b. Jul 1889, 10, b. KS, father b. OH, mother b. IL, at school
Sackett, Walter, son, b. Sep 1892, 7, b. IL, father b. OH, mother b. IL, at school
Sackett, Mary, dau, b. Sep 1895, 4, b. IL, father b. OH, mother b. IL.
- 1910 US census, digital image, Ancestry.com, Roll: T624_310; Page: 16A; Enumeration District: 0048; FHL microfilm: 1374323
Marine, Madison County, Illinois, 10 May 1910
Kettler, John, head, 45, farmer
Kettler, Emma M, wife, 41
Gurmann. Minnie, mother-in-law, 60
Sackett, Walter, boarder, 17, b. IL, father b. IL, mother b. IL, laborer, farm.
- "US, World War I draft registrations records 1917–1918", digital image, FamilySearch, Illinois, Marine, Roll 74, Draft Board 1, "Walter E Sackett, 24, of Marine, Ill, b. 11 Sept 1892, natural born, New Douglas, Ill, USA, station clerk, Illinois Central RR, Marine, Ill, dependent mother, single, white, no military service, claim exemption mother, med tall, slender build, grey eyes lt brown hair, no disabilities. Reg 5 Jun 1917."
- "U.S. Army Transport Service, Passenger Lists, 1910–1939", digital image, Ancestry.com, Return, ship Walter A Luckenbach, sailing Bordeaux, France, 7 May 1919, Company "F" 327th Infantry, to Camp Upton, Brooklyn, NY, 18 May 1919, "Sackett, Walter Edward, 1562076, Pvt Inf, Co "F" 327th Inf, contact Mrs Mary J Sackett, mother, Marine, Illinois."
- 1920 US census, digital image, Ancestry.com, Roll: T625_390; Page: 12B; Enumeration District: 67
Alton St, Marine, Madison County, Illinois, 24 Jan 1920
Sackett, Mary, head, home owned, 50, wd, b. IL, father b. IL, mother b. IL
Sackett, Walter, son, 23, single, b. IL, father b. IL, mother b. IL, operator, telegraph.
- 1930 US census, digital image, Ancestry.com, Page: 3B; Enumeration District: 0073; FHL microfilm: 2340277
Madison, Madison County, Illinois, 3 Apr 1930
Sackett, Walter, head, home owned, 33, m. at 24, b. IL, father b. US, mother b. US, clerk RR, SCRR
Sackett, Wilma, wife, 26, m. at 18, b. IL, father b. IL, mother b. IL
Sackett, Vernon, son, 7, b. IL, father b. IL, mother b. IL
Sackett, Shirley, dau, 5, b. IL, father b. IL, mother b. IL
Sackett, Audrey, dau, 3, b. IL, father b. IL, mother b. IL.
- "US City Directories, 1822-1995", digital image, Ancestry.com, Madison City Directory, 1929, "Sackett Walter (Wilma) clk ICRR h1729 Rhodes."; 1931, "Sackett Walter E (Wilma) clk ICRR h1729 Rhodes."
- "US World War II draft registration cards 1942", digital image, Ancestry.com, "Serial U2549, Walter Edward Sackett, 1729 Rhodes St, Madison, Madison County, IL, age 49, b. New Douglas, IL, 11 Sep 1892, contact Mrs Wilma Sackett, same address, emp. Illinois Central RR, Madison, race white, ht 5' 7", eyes blue, wt 150, hair gray, complexion light. Reg. Madison, ILL, 27 Apr 1942."
- "U.S., Railroad Retirement Pension Index, 1934–1987", database, Ancestry.com, "Sackett, W, b. Sep 1892, claim D137469, Railroad iindustry."
|See also||Thurmon King's Database, 32755|
|Appears in||Sacketts in the Military|
|Sackett line||9th great-grandson of Thomas Sackett the elder of St Peter in Thanet|
|Charts||Line 3a (American)|
|Last Edited||27 Feb 2020|