|Father||Moses Shakett/Sackett (c 1832-1897)|
|Mother||Lena Bowman (c 1837-)|
Rebecca immigrated to the United States with her parents, arriving in New York CityG from Rotterdam, Netherlands, on 15 December 1879 on the SS Maas.9
In 1880 she was living at Hester Street, New York CityG, in the household of her parents Moses and Leah, and was recorded as Rebecca Shachett, aged three and born in England.10
In 1900 she was living at North Fourth Street, Waco, McLennan County, TexasG, and was recorded as Rebecka Sackett, a dry goods saleswoman aged 23 and single. She was a boarder in the household of Julia Hyman.11
In 1910 she was living at San Antonio Street, San Marcos, Hays County, TexasG, in the household of her husband William, 32, a retail merchant, and was recorded as Rebecca Cohen, aged 35. Her nephew Maurice Sackett, aged twelve, was living with them.12
Notes & Citations
- "England & Wales, Civil Registration Birth Index" (Ancestry image), "Sep qtr 1877. Shaket, Rebecca. Mother: Bowman. Whitechapel. 1C:321."
- "U.S. Social Security Applications and Claims Index, 1936–2007" (Ancestry transcript), "Cohen, Rebecca Sackett, b. Rochester, NY, 2 May 1884, father Moses Sackett, mother Lena Bowman. Listed Dec 1936 as Rebecca Sackett Cohen."
- Death certificate has b. 2 May 1881. SS claims record has 2 May 1884. Gravestone has 1875.
- "Texas, Death Certificates, 1903-1982" (Ancestry image), "Cohen, Rebecca, d. Memorial Hospital, Houston, Harris County, Texas, 25 Sep 1947, age 66-4-23, b. Rochester, NY, 2 May 1881, res. 605 Tuam, Houston, widowed, housework, father Moses Sackett b. Poland, mother Leah Bowman b. Poland, informant Ben Sackett, Houston, cause adeno-carcinoma uterus, bur. Beth El, Houston, 26 Sep 1947."
- Find a Grave.
- "Texas, Select County Marriage Index, 1837–1965" (Ancestry transcript), "17 Mar 1907, at McLennan, Texas, William Cohen and Rebecca Sackett."
- Springville Journal, Springville, New York (Newspapers.com image), The Houston Post, Houston, Texas, 22 Mar 1907, p 11
Married in Waco.
William Cohen of the firm of Cohen Bros., Houston, and Miss Roberta Sackett of Waco were united in marriage in Waco Wednesday night. They have arrived home and are stopping at 1212 Hamilton street.
- "Texas, Naturalization Records, 1852–1991" (Ancestry image), "USA Declaration of Intention, William Cohen, 37, merchant, color white, complexion dark, ht 5' 4", wt 145, hair black, eyes brown, b. Rogowo (Poland), Germany, 6 Jun 1881, res. 605 Tuam Ave, Houston, Texas, emigrated from Hamburg, Germany, last foreign res. Posen, Germany, arr. New York, 1890, wife Rebecca, b. Rochester, NY, res. 605 Tuam Ave. Sworn 4 Jun 1919, US District Court, Houston."
- "New York Passenger Lists, 1820–1957" (Ancestry image), "SS Maas, arr. New York, 15 Dec 1879, from Rotterdam, Netherlands, Moses Shakett, 49, tailor, Leah Shakett, 43, Yolly Shakett, 15, Marks Shakett, 9, Sarah Shakett, 7, Joseph Shakett, 5, Rebecca Shakett, 3, Benjamin Shakett, 10 months, all of England, all intending to become US inhabitants, steerage class."
- 1880 United States census
Roll: 873; Page: 212D; Enumeration District: 147
Hester Street, New York City, New York, 7 Jun 1880
Shachett, Moses, 48, tailor, b. Poland, father b. Poland, mother b. Poland
Shachett, Leah, 43, wife, keeping house, b. Poland, father b. Poland, mother b. Poland
Shachett, Polly, 18, dau, tailoress, b. Poland, father b. Poland, mother b. Poland
Shachett, Marx, 10, son, school, b. Poland, father b. Poland, mother b. Poland
Shachett, Joseph, 5, son, b. Poland, father b. Poland, mother b. Poland
Shachett, Sarah, 8, dau, school, b. Poland, father b. Poland, mother b. Poland
Shachett, Rebecca, 3, dau, b. England, father b. Poland, mother b. Poland
Shachett, Benjamin, 2, son, b. England, father b. Poland, mother b. Poland
Shachett, John, 4/12, son, b. NY, father b. Poland, mother b. Poland.
- 1900 United States census
Page: 9; Enumeration District: 0070; FHL microfilm: 1241656
N Fourth Street, Waco, McLennan County, Texas, 7 Jun 1900
Sackett, Rebecka, boarder, b. May 1877, 23, single, b. NY, father b. Russia, mother b. Russia, saleswoman dry goods
[In household of Julia Hyman].
- 1910 United States census
Roll: T624_1563; Page: 5B; Enumeration District: 0037; FHL microfilm: 1375576
San Antonio Street, San Marcos, Hays County, Texas, 20 Apr 1910
Cohen, William, head, 32, m1. 3y, b. Germany, father b. Germany, mother b. Germany, retail merchant, ladies' furnishing, employer, home rented
Cohen, Rebecca, wife, 35, m1. 3y, b. NY, father b. Germany, mother b. Germany
Sackett, Maurice, nephew, 12, b. TX, father b. NY, mother b. MI.
|Last Edited||29 Oct 2020|