Herbert Jerome Sackett
|Father||Samuel Sacofsky/Sackett (1879-1973)|
|Mother||Rebecca Lipsher (1885-1926)|
In 1930 Herbert was living at Lake Street, Stratford, Fairfield County, ConnecticutG, and was recorded in the census as Herbert Sackett, aged nine and born in Connecticut. He was living with his widowed father Samuel in the household of his sister Helen and brother-in-law Carl.8
In 1940 he was living at 79th Street, Queens, New York CityG, in the household of his brother Sidney, and was recorded as Herbert Sackett, a helper in a bakery, aged 19.9
Herbert registered for the young men's draft during World War II on 16 February 1942, naming his brother-in-law Carl Mayer as next of kin. Herbert was a student, living in BridgeportG.10
Herbert was listed in the Bridgeport City Directory of 1943. He was then serving in the US Army.11
Herbert enlisted in the US Army during World War II on 12 January 1944 and served to 5 September 1946.12
In 1949 Herbert and Elaine were living at 406 West Avenue, BridgeportG. He was a receiving clerk.11
Notes & Citations
- Death record.
- "U.S. Social Security Applications and Claims Index, 1936–2007" (Ancestry transcript), "Sackett, Herbert Jerome, b. Bridgeport, Connecticut, 5 Dec 1920, d. Feb 1991, father Samuel Sackett, mother Rebecca Lipsher. Listed May 1937 as Herbert Jerome Sackett. Listed 4 Jun 1993 as Herbert J Sackett."
- US Social Security Administration, "Social Security Death Index" (American Ancestors transcript), "Herbert J Sackett, b. Dec 5, 1920, d. Feb, 1991, SSN 116-01-5494 issued NY, residence unknown."
- "JewishGen Online Worldwide Burial Registry" (Ancestry transcript), "Sackett, Herbert, b. 5 Dec 1920, d. 12 Feb 1991, bur. Ahavath Achim Section H, grave 555, Greenwood Cemetery, 1173 Cascade Avenue SW, Atlanta, Georgia."
- Find a Grave.
- US Social Security Administration, "Social Security Death Index" (American Ancestors transcript), "Elaine M Sackett, b. Dec 29, 1926, d. Apr 30, 2009, SSN 259-84-1912 issued GA, residence Atlanta, Georgia, 30305, county Fulton."
- Find a Grave, Obituary, The Atlanta Journal-Constitution, May 2, 2009.
- 1930 United States Federal Census
Page: 27A; Enumeration District: 0216; FHL microfilm: 2339995
Lake St, Stratford, Fairfield County, Connecticut, 24 Apr 1930
Mayer, Carl, head, home rented $30 pm, 34, m. at 31, b. Germany, father b. Germany, mother b. Germany, immigrated 1913, naturalized, proprietor, garage
Mayer, Helen, wife, 25, m. at 22, b. NY, father b. Russia, mother b. Russia
Mayer, Richard, son, 2 6/12, b. CT, father b. Germany, mother b. NY
Sackett, Samuel, father-in-law, 46, wd, b. Russia, father b. Russia, mother b. Russia, immigrated 1900, naturalized, tailor, tailor shop
Sackett, Herbert, brother-in-law, 9, b. CT, father b. Russia, mother b. Russia
Sackett, Sidney, brother-in-law, 17, b. CT, father b. Russia, mother b. Russia.
- 1940 United States Federal Census
m-t0627-02732; Page: 7A; Enumeration District: 41-617B
79th Street, Queens, New York, 20 Apr 1940
Sackett, Sidney, head, 27, single, b. CT, dentist, private practice, own account
Sackett, Herbert, brother, 19, single, b. CT, helper, bakery.
- "U.S. WWII Draft Cards Young Men, 1940–1947" (Ancestry transcript), "Herbert Jerome Sackett, b. Bridgeport, Connecticut, 5 Dec 1920, student, res. Bridgeport, wt 170, complexion light, eyes hazel, hair brown, ht 5' 11", nok Carl Mayer, Reg 16 Feb 1942."
- "US City Directories, 1822-1995" (Ancestry image), Bridgeport, Connecticut, City Directory, 1943, "Sackett Herbert in US Army r 96 Seaview terr."; 1949, "Sackett Herbert J (Elaine F) receiving clk 520 Water h (405) 406 West av."
- "US Department of Veterans Affairs BIRLS Death File" (Ancestry transcript), "Sackett, Harold, b. 27 Jul 1914, d. 20 Mar 2002, branch Army, enlisted 13 May 1943, released 12 Dec 1945."
|Appears in||Sacketts in the Military|
|Charts||Line 0 (American)|
|Last Edited||30 Jun 2019|