Alton Veasey Sackett
|Father||Orange E Sackett (1841-1928)|
|Mother||Emma Susan Chesley (c 1850-1911)|
In 1900 Alton was living in Kane, Pottawattamie County, IowaG, in the household of his parents Orange and Emma, and was recorded in the census as Alton Sackett, a day laborer, aged 13 and born in Nebraska.7
In 1910 he was living in Council Bluffs, Pottawattamie CountyG, in the household of his parents Orange and Emma, and was recorded as Alton V Sackett, a foundry moulder, single, aged 23.8
Alton was briefly employed as a brakeman with the Northern Pacific Railway Company at Jamestown, Stutsman County, North DakotaG, joining on 9 September 1915 and leaving on 30 October 1915.9
Alton completed a World War I draft registration card on 5 June 1917. He was then single, aged 30, and was a brakeman at Gilmore Central Railroad. He was living at 416 Lewis Street, Waterloo, Black Hawk County, IowaG.10
Alton served in the US Army from 26 July 1918 to 30 December 1918. He was a corporal in the 163rd Depot Brigade, Iowa.5
In 1920 he was living in Waterloo, Black Hawk County, IowaG, and was recorded as Alton Sackett, a railroad brakeman, head of household, aged 32. He owned his home on a mortgage. Living with him were his wife Olive, 31, and their daughter Dorothy, aged one. Also in the household was Olive's brother Glen Crinklaw, 22.11
In 1930 he was living at Newell Street, Waterloo, Black Hawk County, IowaG, and was recorded as Alton V Sackett, a railroad freight conductor, head of household, aged 42. He owned his home. Living with him were his wife Olive, 41, and their children, Dorothy, 11, Marion, 9, and Alta, aged six.12
Alton completed a World War II draft registration card on 29 May 1942. He was then aged 55, employed by the Illinois Central Railroad, and was living at 612 First Avenue East, Cedar Rapids, Linn County, IowaG.13
Children of Alton Veasey Sackett and Olive Alice Crinklaw
Notes & Citations
- "Illinois Death Index 1908–1988" (Ancestry transcript), "Sackett, Alton Veasey, d. Cook County, IL, 25 Oct 1949."
- Find a Grave.
- "US, Headstone Applications for Military Veterans, 1925–1970" (Ancestry image), "Sackett, Alton V, enlisted 26 Jul 1918, discharged 30 Dec 1918, serial no. 3812863, Iowa, Corp, company Cas Det #19 [Casual Detachment], regiment 163rd D B [Depot Brigade], b. 25 Feb 1887, d. 25 Oct 1949, bur. Walnut Hill Cemetery, Council Bluffs, Iowa, flat granite marker, ship to Rae J Williams, Supt, 1294 E Pierce St, Council Bluffs, applicant Mrs Alta Schwake, 18 Apr 1950, 1216 Hawthorns, Waterloo, Iowa."
- "Iowa Marriage Records, 1880–1951" (Ancestry image), "1 Dec 1917, at Cedar Falls, IA, Alton V Sackett, of Waterloo, IA, RR employee, age 30, 1st m., b. Central City, NE, father Orange E Sackett, mother Emma Chesley; to Olive Alice Crinklaw, of Cedar Falls, IA, age 29, 1st m., b. Marion, IA, father Geo B Crinklaw, mother Alice A Sims. By Rev F Miller. Witnesses: Mrs Alice A Crinklaw, Geo B Crinklaw."
- 1900 United States Federal Census
Roll: 456; Page: 8A; Enumeration District: 0148; FHL microfilm: 1240456
Kane, Pottawattamie County, Iowa, 4 Jun 1900
Sackett, O E, head, b. Nov 1843, 57, m. 28y, b. OH, father b. CT, mother b. CT, day laborer, home owned on mortgage
Sackett, E S, wife, b. Jun 1850, 50, m. 28y, b. NH, father b. NH, mother b. NH
Sackett, Alton, son, b. Feb 1887, 13, b. NE, father b. OH, mother b. NH, day laborer
Sackett, Hazel, dau, b. Oct 1889, 10, b. NE, father b. OH, mother b. NH, at school
Sackett, Robert, son, b. Aug 1891, 8, b. NE, father b. OH, mother b. NH, at school.
- 1910 United States Federal Census
Roll: T624_421; Page: 10A; Enumeration District: 0144; FHL microfilm: 1374434
Council Bluffs, Pottawattamie County, Iowa, 21 Apr 1910
Sackett, Orange G, head, 68, m1. 37y, b. OH, father b. CT, mother b. CT, laborer, odd jobs, own account, home owned on mortgage
Sackett, Emma, wife, 59, m1. 37y, 7 ch, 6 living, b. NH, father b. NH, mother b. NH
Sackett, Alton V, son, 23, single, b. NE, father b. OH, mother b. NH, moulder, foundry
Sackett, Hazel, dau, 19, single, b. NE, father b. OH, mother b. NH, stenographer, insurance
Sackett, Robert, son, 18, single, b. NE, father b. OH, mother b. NH, clerk, insurance.
- "U.S., Northern Pacific Railway Company Personnel Files, 1890–1963" (Ancestry image), Application for employment, "St Paul Station, 8 Sep 1915, Alton Veasey Sackett, brakeman, b. Central City, Neb, 25 Feb 1887, not married, father O E Sackett of 2023 Av A, Co Bluffs, IA, physical injuries suffered: broken collar bone. Ht 5 10½, wt 160, hair dark brown, eyes blue, no marks. Employment approved as brakeman, Jamestown Station, Dakota Division, effective 9 Sep 1915."
Resignation, "Jamestown, 30 Oct 1915, Alton Veasey Sackett, brakeman, Jamestown, resigned effective 30 Oct 1915, entered service 9 Sep 1915."
- "US, World War I draft registrations records 1917–1918" (FamilySearch image), Iowa, Waterloo. Draft Division# n/a Roll# 1643363.
"Serial# 1748 Order# 3213, Alton V Sackett, 416 Lewis St Waterloo Iowa, Age: 30, b. 25 Feb 1887 at Central City Nebraska, single, white, native born, brakeman at Gilmore Central RR Co., no reported nearest relative, no prior military experience, exemptions-hernia & broken arch, Registrant: Tall Ht, Med Build, eyes blue, hair light, bald, no disabilities, Reg: 5 Jun 1917 at Waterloo Iowa."
- 1920 United States Federal Census
Roll: T625_478; Page: 26A; Enumeration District: 33; Image: 1181
Waterloo, Black Hawk County, Iowa, 20 Jan 1920
Sackett, Alton, head, home owned on mortgage, 32, b. NE, father b. US, mother b. US, brakeman, railroad
Sackett, Olive, wife, 31, b. IA, father b. Canada, mother b. IA
Sackett, Dorothy, dau, 1 6/12, b. IA, father b. NE, mother b. IA
Crinklaw, Glen, brother-in-law, 22, b. IA, father b. Canada, mother b. IA, office asst, railroad.
- 1930 United States Federal Census
Roll: 642; Page: 3A; Enumeration District: 0026; Image: 682.0; FHL microfilm: 2340377
Newell Street, Waterloo, Black Hawk County, Iowa, 3 Apr 1930
Sackett, Alton V, head, home owned, $2,600, 42, m. at 31, b. NE, father b. CT, mother b. NH, freight conductor, steam railroad
Sackett, Olive A, wife, 41, m. at 29, b. IA, father b. Canada, mother b. IA
Sackett, Dorothy J, dau, 11, b. IA, father b. NE, mother b. IA
Sackett, Marion J, dau, 9, b. IA, father b. NE, mother b. IA
Sackett, Alta V, dau, 6, b. IA, father b. NE, mother b. IA.
- "US World War II draft registration cards 1942" (Ancestry image), "Serial U4430, Alton V Sackett, 612 1st Ave E, Cedar Rapids, Iowa, mailing c/o Trainmaster, Ill. Central R.R., Waterloo, Iowa, age 55, b. Central City, NE, 25 Feb 1887, contact Mrs R W Young, 3647 Av C, Council Bluffs, IA, employer Illinois Central Railroad, Waterloo, IA, race white, ht 5' 11", wt 160, eyes blue, hair brown, complexion ruddy, no marks. Reg Cedar Rapids, Linn County, IA, 29 May 1942."
|Appears in||Sacketts in the Military|
|Sackett line||8th great-grandson of Thomas Sackett the elder of St Peter in Thanet|
|Charts||Line 3a (American)|
|Last Edited||13 Jul 2018|