Stanley McKennon Sackett
|Father||Leland Russell Sackett Sr (1893-1985)|
|Mother||Fannie McKennon (1896-1990)|
In 1930 Stanley was living in Sheridan, Yamhill County, OregonG, in the household of his parents Leland and Fannie, and was recorded in the census as Stanley M Sackett, aged two years eight months and born in Oregon.8
In 1940 he was living in SheridanG in the household of his parents Leland and Fannie, and was recorded as Stanley M Sackett, aged 13.9
Stanley completed a World War II draft registration card on 28 July 1945. He was aged 18 and was employed at the Lake Union Dry Dock and Machine Works in Seattle, Washington. He was living at 948 Main Street, Sheridan, Yamhill County, OregonG. Next of kin was his mother Fannie. His father Leland was the registrar for the draft.10
In 1950 he was living at 2632 N W Upshaw Street, PortlandG, and was recorded as Stanley M Sackett, office manager at a furniture factory, head of household, aged 22. His wife Lurah, 23, a pre-school teacher in a private school, was living with him.11
Stanley M Sackett
July 28, 1927–April 22, 2012
Stanley M. Sackett, 84 of Portland OR, passed away on Sunday, April 22, 2012. He was born on July 28, 1927 in Portland, Oregon to Leland and Fannie (McKennon) Sackett. He was raised in Sheridan, Oregon where he graduated from High School in 1944. He received his BA from Oregon State and his MS from the University of Oregon. He had years of doctoral study at the University of Washington but did not complete his doctoral thesis, choosing active parenthood instead.
He worked as an economist for 25 years, initially for First National Bank of Oregon, which had become Wells Fargo by the time he retired in 1989. He married Lurah Slocum on August 22, 1948 in Portland, Oregon and she preceded him in death on July 1, 1988.
He is survived by his daughter Jane MacKinnon and sons Jeffrey Sackett, Jonathan Sackett, Timothy Sackett, all living in Portland, Oregon, and Daniel Sackett of Seattle WA; brother Russell Sackett of Ellensburg WA; thirteen grandchildren and nine great-grandchildren.
He was an avid reader, humanitarian, conversationalist and thinker; an inventive, generous, open minded, curious, philosophical, good humored, humorous person; and a good friend.
He was a lifetime member of Eastrose Unitarian Fellowship.
A Service of Remembrance will be held at 2:00pm on Sunday, May 20, 2012 at Eastrose Fellowship Unitarian Universalist Church, 1133 NE 181st Avenue, Gresham OR 97030. Contributions in lieu of flowers may be made to Eastrose Fellowship or Snocap Community Charities.
Arrangements entrusted to Gateway Little Chapel of the Chimes in Portland, Oregon.
—DignityMemorial.com: Gateway Little Chapel of the Chimes, Portland, Oregon
Co-eds Vote to Sing To Masculine Students
The OSC [Oregon State College] women's house president's council met yesterday and voted to continue the policy of serenading men's living organizations, Lurah Slocum, president, said today.
The serenading policy, which has gained an unfavorable attitude with some college officials, will be continued as in previous years. However, the council passed some restrictions on the function.
Girls houses will schedule all their serenades in the dean of women's office. These serenades may take place anytime before closing hours.
—Corvallis Gazette-Times, Corvallis, Oregon, 28 Oct 1947, p 8
(Src: Find A Grave, Ernie Krewson)
Notes & Citations
- Find a Grave.
- "Oregon, U.S., State Marriages, 1906-1971" (Ancestry image), "22 Aug 1948, Portland, Multnomah, Oregon, Stanley M Sackett, of Portland, age 21, b. Ore, 28 Jul 1927, warehouseman, father b. Oregon, insurance agent, mother b. Arkansas, housewife, and Lurah L Slocum, of Portland, age 22, b. Missouri, 25 May 1926, secy, logging industry, father b. Missouri, deceased, mother b. Mo, hsw. By H W Hebbelthwaite, Minister."
- Death record.
- Marriage record.
- US Social Security Administration, "Social Security Death Index" (American Ancestors transcript), "Lurah S Sackett, b. May 25, 1926, d. Jul 1, 1988, SSN 543-22-2950 issued OR, residence Portland, Oregon, 97236, county Multnomah."
- "U.S. Social Security Applications and Claims Index, 1936–2007" (Ancestry transcript), "Slocum, Lurah Louise, b. Baring Knox, Missouri, 25 May 1926, d. 1 Jul 1988, father Roy M Slocum, mother Ruth E Haines. Oct 1942 listed as Lurah Louise Slocum; Nov 1951 listed as Lurah Slocum Sackett; 14 Jul 1988 listed as Lurah S Sackett."
- "Oregon, Death Index, 1898–2008" (Ancestry transcript), "Sackett, Lurah Louise, Multomah, 1 Jul 1988, age 62, b. 25 May 1926, spouse Stanley."
- 1930 United States Federal Census
Roll 1958, p. 3B, Enumeration District 0045, Image 400.0, FHL microfilm 2341692
Sheridan, Yamhill County, Oregon, 11 Apr 1930
Sackett, Leland R, head, home rented, $20, 36, m. at 26, b. OR, father b. NY, mother b. NY, agent, insurance
Sackett, Fannie M, wife, 33, m. at 23, b. AR, father b. AR, mother b. MO, secretary, insurance office
Sackett, H Elizabeth, dau, 8, b. OR, father b. OR, mother b. AR
Sackett, L Russell, son, 7, b. OR, father b. OR, mother b. AR
Sackett, Stanley M, son, 2 8/12, b. OR, father b. OR, mother b. AR.
- 1940 United States Federal Census
Roll m-t0627-03384, p 7A, ED 36-43
Sheridan, Yamhill County, Oregon
Sackett, Leland R, head, 46, insurance salesman, b. OR, home rented [sic: presumably owned], value $2000
Sackett, Fannie M, wife, 43, b. AR
Sackett, Harriet, daughter, 19, b. OR
Sackett, Leland R Jr, son, 17, b. OR
Sackett, Stanley M, son, 13, b. OR.
- "U.S. WWII Draft Cards Young Men, 1940–1947" (Ancestry image), "Stanley McKennon Sackett, 948 Main St, Sheridan, Yamhill Co, Oregon, age 18, b. Portland, Oregon, 28 Jul 1927, nok Mrs Fannie M Sackett, emp Lake Union Dry Dock and Machine Works, Fairview & Galer St, Seattle, Wash, race white, ht 6' 1", eyes blue, wt 170, hair brown, complexion light, no marks, no exceptions. Reg Oregon, 28 Jul 1945, registrar Leland R Sackett."
- 1950 United States Federal Census
Roll 1164, sheet 71, district 37-591
2632 N W Upshaw Street, Portland, Multnomah County, Oregon
Sackett, Stanley M, head, 22, office manager, furniture factory, b. OR
Sackett, Lurah S, wife, 23, pre-school teacher, private school, b. MO.
|Sackett line||9th great-grandson of Thomas Sackett the elder of St Peter in Thanet|
|Charts||Line 3a (American)|
|Last Edited||28 May 2023|