William N Sackett
In 1850 William was living in Marlborough, Hartford CountyG, in the household of Syvester and Lucy Dunham, and was recorded in the census as William Sacket, aged eight and born in Massachusetts. [This is a tentative identification. Further research is needed to find a link to the Dunhams.]6
William served in the American Civil War, enlisting on 10 September 1861 in the 10th Regiment Connecticut Volunteers. He was promoted to Sergeant in the Veteran Reserve Corps in 1865.7
In 1870 he was living in WindsorG and was recorded as William Sackett, a machinist, aged 28 and born in Massachusetts. He was living with his wife Margaret, 21, in the household of Margaret's parents, Alexander and Jane Shaw. A Wm N Sackett, a gun shop worker, aged 28 and born in Massachusetts, was also recorded in the census, living apparently as a lodger with other gun shop workers in the household of Albert A Vining, also a gun shop worker, in Hamden, New Haven County. This would appear to be the same William Sackett, suggesting that he was working away from home in the gun factory.8,9
In 1880 William's widow Margaret was living in Windsor, Hartford County, ConnecticutG, and was recorded in the census as Margret Sackett, aged 31 and born in New York. Living with her were her children, Cora, 9, and Edgar, aged five.10
In 1900 she was living in WindsorG and was recorded as Margaret Sackett, head of household, a widow, aged 51. She owned her home free of mortgage. Living with her was her son Edgar, 25.11
Children of William N Sackett and Margaret Shaw
Notes & Citations
- Date of birth based on age at death.
- "Connecticut Death Index 1949–2012", database, Ancestry.com, "William N Sackett, d. Windsor, Hartford, CT, 15 Apr 1879, aged 37."
- "Connecticut, Hale Cemetery Inscriptions and Newspaper Notices, 1629–1934", digital image, Ancestry.com, 58-106, Inscription, Elm Grove Cemetery, Windsor, Hartford County, "Sackett, William N, died Apr 15, 1879, age 37 yrs (Company B, 10th Connecticut Volunteers, Civil War, Flag)."
- "Connecticut, Hale Cemetery Inscriptions and Newspaper Notices, 1629–1934", digital image, Ancestry.com, 58-106, Inscription, Elm Grove Cemetery, Windsor, Hartford County, "Sackett, Margaret Shaw, wife of William N, died June 19, 1928, age 79 yrs."
- 1850 US census, database, LDS, FamilySearch, Roll M432_41, p. 457
Marlborough, Hartford, Connecticut
Dunham, Sylvester C., 64, m, farmer, b. CT
[Dunham], Lucy, 68, f, b. CT
Sacket, William, 8, m, b. MA.
- Record of Service of Connecticut Men in the Army and Navy of the United States during the War of the Rebellion (Hartford, Conn: Press of The Case, Lockwood & Brainard Company, 1889), History of the Tenth Regiment CV Infantry, 403, Company B, Sergeants, "Sackett, William N, of Marlborough, enlisted Sep 10, '61, mustered Sep 30, '61, Must. Priv. Re-en. Vet. Jan 1, '64. Pro. Corp. Nov 1, '64; Sergt. Jan 1, '65. M.o. Aug 25, '65."
- 1870 US census, digital image, Ancestry.com, Roll M593_111, p. 255B, Image 517, FHL Film 545610
Hamden, New Haven County, Connecticut, 19 Jul 1870
Sackett, Wm N, 28, works in gun shop, b. MA
[in household of Albert A Vining & family].
- 1870 US census, digital image, Ancestry.com, Roll M593_104, p. 444A, Image 510, FHL Film 545603
Windsor, Hartford County, Connecticut, 4 Jul 1870
Shaw, Alexander, 41, farmer, real estate $5,500, personal estate $1,200, b. Scotland
Shaw, Jane, 45, keeping house, b. Ireland
Shaw, John, 17, works on farm, b. CT
Shaw, Albert A, 15, works on farm, b. CT
Shaw, Agnes J, 12, attends school, b. CT
Shaw, Lena M, 5, attends school, b. CT
Sackett, William, 28, machinist, b. MA
Sackett, Maggie, 21, lady boarder, b. NY.
- 1880 US census, digital image, Ancestry.com, Roll 99, FHL Film 1254099, p. 326B, Enumeration District 042, Image 0653
Windsor, Hartford County, Connecticut, 4 Jun 1880
Sackutt [Sackett], Margret, 31, keeping house, b. NY, father b. Scotland, mother b. [blank]
[Sackett], Corra L, 9, dau, at school, b. CT, father b. [blank], mother b. NY
[Sackett], Edgar W, 5, son, at school, b. CT, father b. [blank], mother b. NY.
- 1900 US census, digital image, Ancestry.com, Roll 139, p. 9B, Enumeration District 0229, FHL microfilm 1240139
Windsor Town, Hartford County, Connecticut, 15 Jun 1900
Sackett, Margaret, head, b. Nov 1848, 51, wd, 1 ch, living, b. NY, father b. Scotland, mother b. Ireland, home owned free of mortgage
Sackett, Edgar W, son, b. Feb 1875, 25, single, b. CT, father b. MA, mother b. NY, farm laborer.
|Appears in||Sacketts in the Military|
|Last Edited||9 Feb 2015|