Richard Thomas Sackett
|Father||Richard Henry Sackett (1813-1872)|
|Mother||Sarah Ann Kemp (c 1816-1889)|
In 1841 Richard was living at Deal, KentG, and was recorded in the census as Richard Sackett, aged 6 and born in Kent, in the household of Richard Sackett.10
In 1851 he was living at 13 Mulberry Tree Row, Bromley St Leonard, Poplar, MiddlesexG, in the household of a licensed victualler, and was recorded as Richard Sackett, a potman, aged 16 and born in Canterbury.11
In 1861 he was living at 6 Lower Mary Street, Bromley, PoplarG, in the household of Thomas Buttler, a labourer, and was recorded as Richard Sackett, a labourer, unmarried, aged 22 and born in Stratford. Lodging in the same household was John Sackett, 20, also a labourer.12,13
In 1871 he was living at 11 Carpenter Road, Stratford, West Ham, EssexG, and was recorded as Richard Sackett, a labourer at the chemical works, married, aged 36 and born in Canterbury. Living with him were his wife Ann, 35, and children, Hannah, 9, Richard, 6, and Mary, aged two. The family were lodging in the household of George Gallway. The relationships of the children to the head of family were left blank on the census return.14
In 1881 Richard was living at 113 Livingstone Road, West Ham, EssexG, and was recorded in the census as Richard Sackett, a general labourer, head of household, married, aged 48, and born in Canterbury. Living with him were his wife Ann, aged 46, and born in Stratford, and their children, Richard, 17, Mary, 12, Matilda, 10, Henry, 7, John, 5, and Emily, aged two.15
In 1891 he was living at 113 Major Road, Stratford, EssexG, and was recorded as Richard Sackett, a general labourer (employed), head of household, married, aged 55, and born in Canterbury. Living with him were his wife Ann, aged 54, and born in Stratford, and their children, Henry, 18, Emily, 14, and Edward, aged nine. Also in the household were lodgers Joseph and Mary Corderey.16
In 1901 he was living at 26 Major Road, West HamG, and was recorded as Richard Sackett, a general labourer, head of household, married, aged 69, and born in Dover, Kent. Living with him were his wife Ann, aged 75, and born in Stratford, and their unmarried sons, Henry, 29, and John, aged 26.17
Children of Richard Thomas Sackett and Ann Elizabeth Reed
- Hannah Jane Sackett b. 1861
- James Edward Sackett b. 1863, d. 1864
- Richard John Sackett+ b. 29 Dec 1864, d. 1941
- William Robert Sackett b. 1867, d. 1869
- Mary Jane Sackett b. 12 Feb 1869
- Matilda Priscilla Sackett+ b. 10 Aug 1870, d. 1940
- Henry Robert Sackett b. 13 Dec 1873, d. 1952
- John Edward Sackett+ b. 16 Nov 1876, d. 1950
- Emily Elizabeth Sackett+ b. 26 Feb 1879
- Edward Thomas Sackett+ b. 11 May 1882, d. 1936
Notes & Citations
- Age at 1841 census suggests date of birth in 1834 or 1835; 1881 census would give birth in 1832 or 1833; 1891 census: 1835 or 1836; 1901 census: 1831 or 1832; death record suggests birth in 1832 or 1833. Place of birth stated as Canterbury in 1881 and 1891 censuses, but Dover, Kent, in 1901 census.
- Baptisms Register, St Paul's Church, Canterbury, Kent (Findmypast image), "23 October 1836 Richard s. Richard & Sarah Ann Sackett, of Monastry Street, tinman, by J E N Molesworth."
- General Register Office, Online Index to Deaths, "Jun qtr 1907. Sackett, Richard, 74. W Ham."
- Burials register, West Ham Cemetery, Essex (deceasedonline.com), "22 June 1907, Richard Sackett."
- General Register Office, Online Index to Marriages, "Sep qtr 1862. Sackett, Richard. W Ham. 4a:30."
- Marriages Register, St Mary the Virgin, Plaistow, Essex (Essex Record Office), "27 July 1862, Richard Sackett, full age, bachelor, lineman, of Plaistow, s. Richard Sackett, lineman[?], & Ann Reed, full age, spinster, of Plaistow, d. Edmund Reed, carman. Banns. Witnesses: George Newling, Margaret Walland."
- Date of birth based on age at death.
- General Register Office, Online Index to Deaths, "Sep qtr 1912. Sackett, Ann E, 76. W Ham."
- Burials register, West Ham Cemetery, Essex (deceasedonline.com), "28 September 1912, Ann Elizabeth Sackett."
- 1841 England census
Princess Street, Deal, Kent
Richard Sackett, 25, publican beer house, b. Kent
Sarah Sackett, 25, b. Kent
Richard Sackett, 6, b. Kent
John Sackett, 3, b. Kent
[Ages of adults rounded down to nearest five years in 1841 census]
HO107; Piece 466; Book: 2; Civil Parish: Deal; County: Kent; Enumeration District: 5; Folio: 31; Page: 7; Line: 13; GSU roll: 306861. [Also researched at PRO by Marion Sackett].
- 1851 England census
HO107, piece 1555, folio 531, p. 23, GSU roll 174787
13 Mulbery Tree [Row], Bromley St Leonard, Bow, Poplar
Richard Sackett, servant, 16, potman, b. Kent, Canterbury.
[In household of Edward Hord or How?, a licensed victualler]
- 1861 England census
RG9, piece 302, folio 79, p. 18, GSU roll 542610
No 6, Lo Mary Street, Bromley, Bow, Poplar, Middlesex
Richard Sackett, lodger, unm, 22, labourer, b. Essex, Stratford
John Sackett, lodger, unm, 20, labourer, b. Essex, Stratford
.[In household of Thomas Buttler, a labourer]
- Although the age and birthplace stated in the 1861 census do not match those of this subject, the record is probably his. He was in Poplar in 1851 and 1871 and no other Richard Sackett has been found in the area during this period. The presence of John Sackett, who would be his brother, in the same household supports this conclusion. John's age is a match, although his birthplace is similarly wrongly stated.
- 1871 England census
RG10, piece 1623, folio 65, p. 17, GSU roll 829930
11 Carpenter Rd, Stratford, West Ham, Essex
Richard Sackett, lodger, married, 36, laborer at chemical works, b. Kent, Canterbury
Ann Sackett, wife, 35, b. Essex, Stratford
Hannah Sackett, 9, scholar, b. Essex, Stratford
Richard Sackett, 6, scholar, b. Essex, Stratford
Mary Sackett, 2, b. Essex, Stratford.
[Family lodging in household of George Gallway. Relationships of children to head of family were blank.]
- 1881 England census
FHL 1341406, PRO RG11/1703/60/39
West Ham, Essex
113 Livingstone Rd
Richard Sackett, head, married, 48, b. Canterbury, Kent, gen labourer
Ann E. Sackett, wife, 46, b. Stratford, Essex
Richard J. Sackett, son, 17, b. Stratford, carman
Mary J. Sackett, dau, 12, b. Stratford
Matilda Sackett, dau, 10, b. Stratford
Henry B. Sackett, son, 7, b. Stratford
John E. Sackett, son, 5, b. Stratford
Emily Sackett, dau, 2, b. Stratford.
- 1891 England census
113 Major Rd, Stratford, Essex
Richard Sackett, head, married, 55, general labourer (employed), b. Canterbury
Ann Sackett, wife, 54, b. Stratford
Henry Sackett, son, unm, 18, carman (employed), b. Stratford
Emily Sackett, dau, 14, b. Stratford
Edward Sackett, son, 9, scholar, b. Hackney Wick
Joseph Corderey, lodger, married, 21, railway fireman (employed), b. East Ham, Essex
Mary Corderey, wife, 22, b. Stratford.
- 1901 England census
West Ham, Essex
26 Major Road, West Ham (St Paul's) (5+ rooms)
Richard Sackett, head, married, 69, general labourer, worker, b. Dover, Kent
Ann Sackett, wife, 75, b. Stratford, London
Henry Sackett, son, single, 29, general labourer, worker, b. Stratford
John Sackett, son, single, 26, general labourer, worker, b. Stratford.
|Sackett line||7th great-grandson of Thomas Sackett the elder of St Peter in Thanet|
|Charts||Line 3 (English)|
|Last Edited||14 Sep 2023|