Henry Richmond Sackett
|Father||Judge Homer Eddy Sackett (1875-1966)|
|Mother||Verona Ella Heck (1878-)|
In 1910 Henry was living at North Dunn Street, Bloomington, Monroe County, IndianaG, in the household of his parents Homer and Verona, and was recorded in the census as Henry R Sackett, aged three and born in Colorado.8
In 1920 Henry was living at Tyler Street, Gary City, Lake County, IndianaG, in the household of his parents Homer and Verona, and was recorded in the census as Henry Sackett, aged 12 and born in Colorado.9
In 1930 he was living in Gary CityG in the household of his parents Homer and Verona, and was recorded as Henry R Sackett, a lawyer in general practice, single, aged 23.10
Henry completed a World War II draft registration card on 16 October 1940. He was aged 33 and was a self-employed attorney. He was living at 660 McKinley Street, GaryG.11
Henry served as a United States prosecutor at the Japanese War Crimes Trials. He travelled from Newfoundland to Washington, DC, on 6 May 1946 on a USAAF Air Transport Command flight en route to taking up his duties in Japan.12 He returned from Japan on the SS San Mateo Victory, leaving Yokohama on 7 September 1946 and arriving in New York on 7 October.13
Henry and Dorothea were listed in the LaPorte County Taxpayers Directory in 1947 and 1949 as co-owners with Henry's parents, Homer and Verona, of 400 acres of real estate in Pleasant Township.14 They were listed in the Long Beach, Indiana, Directory in 1952 as co-owners with Henry's parents of 420 acres.15
SACKETT, HENRY R.
Sackett, Henry R - age 81 of Merrillville - formerly of Gary, Indiana - passed away Wednesday, March 9, 1988. Survivors: wife, Dorothea of Merrillville; one daughter, Susanne D. (Phillip H.) Minton of Indianapolis; one son, James H. Sackett of Indianapolis; three grandchildren, David P. (Elizabeth) Minton of St. Louis, Missouri, James C. (Valinda) Minton, of Bloomington, Indiana and Shannon S. Minton of Indianapolis.
Funeral services will be held Saturday, March 12, 1 p.m. at the First Presbyterian Church of Merrillville, 7898 Taft St., Merrillville. Mr. Sackett will lie in state at the church from noon to 1 p.m. with Rev. Michael S. Maietta officiating. Interment, Ridgelawn Cemetery. Friends may call at Burns Funeral Home, corner of 101st and Broadway, Merrillville/ Crown Point on Thursday from 7 to 9 p.m. and Friday from 2 to 5 and 7 to 9 p.m. Please send contributions to Parkinson's Awareness Association of Central Indiana Inc., 721 Sherwood Dr., Indianapolis, Indiana 46240.
Mr. Sackett was a prominent Indiana Attorney; he served as Special Prosecutor for the Nuremberg, Germany in [sic: and] Tokyo, Japan United States War Crimes Trials; a member of the First Presbyterian Church of Merrillville; a graduate of Emerson High School: graduate of the University of Chicago - Class of 1929 and Captain of the University of Chicago Basketball Team; and practiced law in the firm of Sackett-Pyatt & Waitkus.
—The Times, Munster, Indiana, 10 Mar 1988
Former prosecutor dies at 81
MERRILLVILLE — A Gary native who was a special prosecutor at the trials of Nazi and Japanese war criminals died Wednesday.
Henry R. Sackett, 81, of Merrillville, was born March 9, 1907, in Colorado Springs, Colo., and raised in Gary. He graduated from Emerson High School and the University of Chicago Law School in 1929.
He was also captain of the university basketball team.
Following graduation, Mr. Sackett began practicing law with his father, Judge Homer E. Sackett, in the firm of Sackett and Sackett. The younger Sackett went into practice with the firm of Sackett, Pyatt and Waitkus, and practiced law for more than 50 years.
He later became an assistant U.S. attorney in the Northern District of Indiana, attached to the Hammond office, and after World War II, was one of the allied special prosecutors at the trials of prominent German and Japanese war crimes defendants.
He prosecuted war criminals in Nuremberg, Germany, and Tokyo.
Mr. Sackett was a member of the First Presbyterian Church of Merrillville; the Optimists Club; a past president of the Gary Chamber of Commerce; a member of the board of directors of Bank One; a member of Innsbrook Country Club; a former member of the Indiana Port Commission; the Indiana State Bar Association and the American Bar Association.
He is survived by his wife, Dorothea; son, James H. Sackett of Indianapolis; daughter, Susanne (Phillip) Minton of Indianapolis; and three grandchildren.
Visitation for Mr. Sackett will be Thursday from 7 to 9 p.m. and Friday from 2 to 5 p.m. and 7 to 9 p.m. at Burns Funeral Home, at 101st and Broadway, Merrillville/Crown Point.
Funeral services will be from the First Presbyterian Church of Merrillville, 7898 Taft St., at 1 p.m. Saturday.
—The Times, Munster, Indiana, 10 Mar 1988.
Children of Henry Richmond Sackett and Dorothea A Shannon
- James Homer Sackett b. 25 Jan 1936, d. 31 Dec 2013
Notes & Citations
- Charles D. Breneman, A History of the Descendants of Abraham Breneman (Published by the author. Elida, Ohio. Copyright 1939) ,. Page 270.
- US Social Security Administration, "Social Security Death Index" (American Ancestors transcript), "Henry R Sackett, b. Mar 9, 1907, d. Mar 9, 1988, SSN 307-42-5020 issued IN, residence unknown."
- Find a Grave.
- "Indiana, Death Certificates, 1899–2011" (Ancestry image), "Sackett, Henry R, d. Town Center Health Care Center, Merrillville, Lake County, 9 Mar 1988, age 81, b. Colorado Springs, CO, 9 Mar 1907, attorney, Sackett, Pyatt & Waitkus Law Firm, married, wife Dorthea Shannon, res. 2311 West 57th Avenue, Merrillville, father Homer E Sackett, mother Verona Heck, informant Dorthea Sackett, 2311 W 57th Ave, burial Ridgelawn Cemetery, Gary, Indiana, 12 Mar 1988, cause Atherosclerotic heart disease."
- "Cook County, Illinois, Marriage Index, 1930–1960" (Ancestry transcript), "6 Aug 1931, Cook County, IL, licence, Henry Sackett & Dorothea Shannon."
- "U.S., Presbyterian Church Records, 1701-1907" (Ancestry image), Register of Marriages, First United Presbyterian Church, Gary, Indiana, "12 Aug 1931, Henry R Sackett, of Gary, & Dorothea Shannon."
- 1910 United States census
Roll T624_371, p. 10B, Enumeration District 0129, FHL microfilm 1374384
North Dunn St, Bloomington City, Monroe County, Indiana, 26 Apr 1910
Sackett, Homer E, head, 35, m1. 6y, b. IN, father b. IN, mother b. IN, merchant tailor, home rented
Sackett, Verona E, wife, 33, m1. 6y, 1 ch, living, b. KY, father b. VA, mother b. KY
Sackett, Henry R, son, 3, b. CO, father b. IN, mother b. KY.
- 1920 United States census
Roll T625_446, p. 15A, Enumeration District 97, Image 299
Tyler Street, Gary City, Lake County, Indiana, 16 Jan 1920
Sackett, Homer, head, 44, married, b. IN father b. IN, mother b. IN, lawyer, general practice
Sackett, Verona, wife, 41, b. KY, father b. VA, mother b. KY
Sackett, Henry, son, 12, b. CO, father b. IN, mother b. KY.
- 1930 United States census
Roll 599, p. 12A, Enumeration District 0018, Image 253.0, FHL microfilm 2340334
Gary City, Lake County, Indiana
Sackett, Homer E, head, home value $8,000, not farm, 55, m. at 27, b. IN father b. IN, mother b. IN, lawyer, gen practice
Sackett, Verona E, wife, 52, m. at 24, b. KY, father b. VA, mother b. KY
Sackett, Henry R, son, 23, single, b. CO, father b. IN, mother b. KY, lawyer, gen practice.
- "U.S. WWII Draft Cards Young Men, 1940–1947" (Ancestry image), "Serial no. 1313, Henry Richmond Sackett, 660 McKinley, Gary, Lake County, Ind, age 33, b. Col Springs, 9 Mar 1907, US citizen, contact Homer Eddy Sackett, 753 Tyler, Gary, emp. Attorney, at 569 Broadway, Gary, race white, ht 6' 1½", wt 180, eyes blue, hair blonde, complexion light. Reg. Gary, Lake County, 16 Oct 1940."
- "Washington, D.C., Passenger and Crew Lists, 1942–1962" (Ancestry image), Aircraft 9034, [USAAF Air Transport Command], dep. STV Nfld [Newfoundland], arr. Washington, DC, 6 May 1946, "Henry Richmond Sackett, age 39, b. Colorado City, 9 Mar 1907, res. 660 McKinley St, Gary, Ind., Civ Emp War Dept., orders seen, proceeding on return to duty in Tokyo in one or two days, PP retained."
- "New York Passenger Lists, 1820–1957" (Ancestry image), SS San Mateo Victory, dep. Yokohama, Japan, 7 Sep 1946, arr. New York, 7 Oct 1946, "Henry R Sackett, age 39y 5m, married, b. Colorado City, 9 Mar 1907, US res. 660 McKinley St, Gary, Indiana."
- "US City Directories, 1822-1995" (Ancestry image), LaPorte County Taxpayers Directory, 1947, "Sackett Homer E (Verona) and Henry R (Dorothea) Sackett, RD LaPorte, Pleasant Twp, pp [personal property] $1440, re [real estate] $23,590, 400 a [acres]."; 1949, "Sackett Homer E (Verona) and Henry R (Dorothea) Sackett, Pleasant Twp, re [real estate] $23,590, 400 a [acres]."
- "US City Directories, 1822-1995" (Ancestry image), Long Beach, Indiana, City Directory, 1952, "Sackett Homer E (Verna E) and Henry (Dorothea), R4 Box 217, LaPorte, Ind, re [real estate] 420 ac, $24150."
|Sackett line||6th great-grandson of John Sackett of New Haven|
|Charts||Line 4 (American)|
|Last Edited||29 Apr 2020|