Lucy Sackett Curtiss
|Father||Franklin A Curtiss (1821-1907)|
|Mother||Silia Jane Comstock (1842-1929)|
In 1900 Lucy was living at the Northfield Seminary, Northfield Town, Franklin County, MassachusettsG, and was recorded in the census as Lucy S Curtise, a pupil, aged 19 and born in Connecticut.4 Lucy was also recorded in the 1900 census in the household of her parents Franklin and Silia.5
Lucy attended Wellesley College, MassachusettsG, from 1905, and graduated MA from Columbia University, New York, in 1910.6
In 1910 she was living at West 123rd Street, Manhattan, New York CityG, in the household of her widowed mother Silia, 68, and was recorded as Lucy S Curtiss, a teacher, aged 29 and born in Connecticut.7
Lucy visited the United Kingdom in 1914, arriving in Edinburgh, Scotland, on 8 August 1914. She arrived back in Boston from Liverpool, England, on 1 September 1914 on the SS Devonian.8,9
In 1920 she was living at Washington Terrace, Bridgeport, Fairfield County, ConnecticutG, and was recorded as Lucy Curtiss, a schoolteacher, head of household, single, aged 39. She owned her home on a mortgage. Living with her was her widowed mother Silia, 77.10
In 1930 she was living at Washington Terrace, BridgeportG, and was recorded as Lucy S Curtiss, a schoolteacher, head of household, unmarried, aged 49. She owned her home. Also in the household were two lodgers.11
Lucy visited England in 1930, arriving back in Quebec from Liverpool on the SS Duchess of Atholl on 30 August 1930. Her home address was 31 Washington Terrace, Bridgeport.12
Lucy wrote a history of the Congregational Church of Christ, WarrenG, in 1956 [Extracts].13
Notes & Citations
- Charles Weygant, The Sacketts of America, "9876. Lucy Sackett Curtis, b. Oct. 31, 1880."
- "Connecticut Death Index 1949–2012" (Ancestry transcript), "10 Mar 1973, Lucy S Curtiss, of Bridgeport, CT, at Bridgeport, 92 years, never married."
- US Social Security Administration, "Social Security Death Index" (American Ancestors transcript), "Lucy Curtiss, b. 31 Oct 1880, d. Mar 1973, last res. 06604 Bridgeport, Fairfield, CT, SSN issued CT 1962."
- 1900 United States census
Roll 649, p. 3A, Enumeration District 0492, FHL microfilm 1240649
Northfield Seminary, Northfield Town, Franklin County, Massachusetts, 4 Jun 1900
Curtise, Lucy S, pupil, b. Oct 1880, age 19, single, b. CT, father b. CT, mother b. MA, at school.
- 1900 United States census
Roll 141, p. 5A, Enumeration District 0260, FHL microfilm 1240141
Warren Town, Litchfield County, Connecticut, 14-15 Jun 1900
Curtiss, Franklin A, head, b. Dec 1821, age 78, m. 22y, b. CT, father b. CT, mother b. CT, farmer, home owned free of mortgage
Curtiss, Silia C, wife, b. Feb 1842, age 58, m. 22y, 1 ch, living, b. MA, father b. MA, mother b. CT
Curtiss, Lucy S, dau, b. Oct 1880, age 19, single, b. CT, father b. CT, mother b. MA, at school
Peters, M Ginevra, boarder, b. Jun 1846, age 53, single, b. NY, father b. CT, mother b. NH, seamstress.
- "US School Catalogs, 1765–1935" (Ancestry image), Register, Wellesley College, Alumnæ Association, 1910–1911, "Curtiss, Lucy Sackett, '05; M.A., Columbia, '10. Care W.F. Curtiss, Warren, Conn."
- 1910 United States census
Roll T624_1027, p. 15B, Enumeration District 0721, FHL microfilm 1375040
West 123rd Street, Manhattan Ward 20, New York, New York
Curtiss, Silia C, head, 68, wd, b. MA, father b. b. MA, mother b. CT
Curtiss, Lucy S, dau, 29, single, b. CT, father b. CT, mother b. MA, teacher pub school
Clark, Agnes E, lodger, 32, single, b. RI, father b. RI, mother b. RI, teacher pub school.
- "Massachusetts Passenger Lists 1820–1963" (Ancestry image), "SS Devonian, dep Liverpool, 21 Aug 1914, arr Boston 1 Sep 1914, Curtiss, Lucy S, 33y 10m, single, teacher, US national, final destination Conn, Bridgeport."
- "US Consular Registration Certificates, 1907–1918" (Ancestry image), "Consul of USA at Edinburgh, Scotland, registers as American citizen, Lucy S Curtiss, b. 31 Oct 1880 at Warren, Conn. Arrived Edinburgh 8 Aug 1914. Purpose travel &c, unmarried. US citizenship established by documents in her possession. Issued 12 Aug 1914. Validity 11 Aug 1915."
- 1920 United States census
Roll T625_175, p. 4B, Enumeration District 46, Image 871
Washington Terrace, Bridgeport, Fairfield County, Connecticut, 7 Jan 1920
Curtiss, Lucy, head, home owned on a mortgage, 39, single, b. CT, father b. CT, mother b. MA, teacher, school
Curtiss, Sila C, mother, 77, wid, b. MA, father b. MA, mother b. CT
Wakeman, Nellie M, roomer, age "un", single, b. US, father b. US, mother b. US, stenographer.
- 1930 United States census
Roll 255, p. 6B, Enumeration District 0044, Image 577.0, FHL microfilm 2339990
Washington Terrace, Bridgeport City, Fairfield County, Connecticut, 4 Apr 1930
Curtiss, Lucy S, head, home owned, value $7,800, 49, single, b. CT, father b. CT, mother b. MA, teacher, school
Eames, Emma F, lodger, 74, single, b. MA, father b. MA, mother b. MA
Humphrey, Austin C, lodger, 27, single, b. CT, father b. CT, mother b. CT, clerk, stock, toy factory.
- "Border Crossings from Canada to US, 1895–1956" (Ancestry image), "SS Duchess of Atholl, from Liverpool, 21 Aug 1930, arr. Quebec, 30 Aug 1930, Curtiss, Lucy, 49y 6m, single, b. 31 Oct 1880, Warren, Conn, of 31 Washington Terrace, Bridgeport, Conn."
- Lucy Sackett Curtiss, The Congregational Church, Warren, Connecticut, 1756–1956.
|Sackett line||9th great-granddaughter of Thomas Sackett the elder of St Peter in Thanet|
|Charts||Line 3a (American)|
|Last Edited||31 Dec 2014|