Ernest Edmund Sackett
In 1891 Ernest was living at St Pancras School, Leavesden, HertfordshireG, and was recorded in the census as Ernest Sackett, an inmate, aged five and born in Islington, London.8 Also in the home were George Sackett, 3, and John Sackett, aged one, who were probably related. St Pancras School was a home and school for orphans and pauper children. It could take up to 400 boys and 250 girls. The boys were educated with a view to their becoming apprentices, many going into the army or navy as musicians. The girls were usually sent into domestic service.
Ernest's parents have not been identified. Although the 1891 census records him as aged five and born in Islington, he could possibly be the same as Ernest Sackett born in Middlesbrough, Yorkshire, in 1883, who has also not been identified.
Ernest served in the British Army during the First World War in the Welsh Regiment. He was awarded the Victory Medal and the British Medal in recognition of active service in France from 19 January 1915. He was also awarded the 1915 Star. He was a Bandsman and later a Sergeant.9,10
In 1921 Ernest was serving in the 1st Battalion, Welch Regiment, at Upper Topa, Murree Hills (Kalabagh), Hazara District, North West Frontier Province, IndiaG. He was listed in the census as E Sackett, married, aged 34, a sergeant, born in London.11
Children of Ernest Edmund Sackett and Mary Elizabeth Butler
Notes & Citations
- A birth record has not been found.
- General Register Office, Online Index to Deaths, "Dec qtr 1956. Sackett, Ernest E, 71. Pembroke."
- Burials Register, St John, Pembroke Dock, Pembrokeshire (Findmypast image), "12 Nov 1956 Ernest Edmund Sackett, 24 Water Street, Pembroke Dock, 72 years."
- General Register Office, Online Index to Marriages, "Mar qtr 1908. Sackett, Ernest Edmund. Pembroke. 11a:1613."
"Mar qtr 1908. Butler, Mary Elizabeth. Pembroke. 11a:1613."
- Email from Jerry Meguiar to Chris Sackett, March 2011.
- "England & Wales, Civil Registration Death Index, 1916–2007" (Ancestry transcript), "Dec qtr 1967. Sackett, Mary E, 79. Pembroke. 8c:384."
- Burials Register, St John, Pembroke Dock, Pembrokeshire (Findmypast image), "17 Nov 1967 Mary Elizabeth Sackett, 24 Water Street, Pembroke Dock, 79."
- 1891 England census
RG12, piece 1120, folio 101, p. 28, GSU roll 6096230
St Pancras School, Leavesden, Hertfordshire
Ernest Sackett, inmate, 5, b. London, Islington
George Sackett, inmate, 3, b. London, Islington
John Sackett, inmate, 1, b. London, St Pancras.
- "Britain, Campaign, Gallantry & Long Service Medals & Awards" (Findmypast transcript).
- "British Army Medal Index Cards, 1914-1920", digital image, The National Archives, "Sackett, Ernest E, Bandsman, Welsh Regiment, service no. 10593, Sergeant, service no. 3948246, Victory Medal, British Medal, 1915 Star, Theatre of War France entry 19 Jan 1915. WO372/17."
- 1921 England census
Upper Topa, Murree Hills, Army, India
E Sackett, 36y 4m, married, b. London, Sergeant, HQ Company 1/Bn Welch Regt.
|Appears in||Sacketts in the Military|
|Last Edited||16 Oct 2022|