Charles Roswell Sackett
|Father||Gilbert Sackett (1825-c 1865)|
|Mother||Hannah (Lamb) Paige (c 1824-1852)|
Charles's family were enumerated twice in the 1860 census, first on 15 June in Bergen, New York, and then on 16 July in Adams, Michigan. On 15 June 1860 Charles was living in Bergen and was recorded in the census as Charles Sackett, aged eight and born in Michigan. He was living with his father Gilbert and stepmother Sabra in the household of Gilbert's parents Charles and Saloma Sackett. On 16 July 1860 he was living in Adams, Hillsdale County, Michigan in the household of his father Gilbert and stepmother Jane, and was recorded as Charles Sackett, aged seven and born in Michigan.5,6
In 1870 Charles was living at Rollin, Lenawee County, MichiganG, in the household of Gershwin Bennett, a farmer, and was recorded in the census as Charles Sacket, a farm laborer, aged 18.7
In 1880 he was living in Hopkins County, TexasG, and was recorded as Charles R Sacket, a farmer, head of household, aged 38 [an error for 28]. His wife Adelphia, 26, was living with him.8
Adelphia died intestate. Her personal estate was valued at about $500. The sole beneficiary was her mother Orselia. On Orselia's petition, the Hillsdale County Probate Court appointed Philo Way, Adelphia's brother, as administrator of the estate on 16 January 1894. He completed the administration and was discharged on 17 November 1897.9
(Src: Find A Grave, Keith Larzelere)
Notes & Citations
- Website Find A Grave.
- Marriage record.
- A birth record for Charles has not been found. The inscription on his gravestone is said to read "28 Y'rs & 6 M's". His birth date by calculation from his death on 16 Oct 1880 would then be c Apr 1852. On this basis it is assumed that his mother was Gilbert Sackett's first wife, Hannah, who died in May 1852, and not Sabra Cook, who Gilbert married in Apr 1853.
- "Michigan, Marriage Records, 1867–1952", digital image, Ancestry.com, "31 Jan 1877, Jefferson, Hillsdale County, Michigan, Charles Sackett, 24, farmer, of Pittsford, b. Rollin, MI; to Della M Way, 21, of Jefferson, b. Jefferson. By A A Myers, Minister. Witnesses: Geo Haner, Annie Haner, both of Jefferson."
- 1860 US census, digital image, Ancestry.com, Page 948, FHL film 803756
Bergen, Genesee, New York, 15 Jun 1860
Sackett, Charles, 66, farmer, real estate $3000, personal estate $1000, b. CT
Sackett, Sally, 65, b. VT
Sackett, Edmund, 29, farm laborer, b. NY
Sackett, Percilla, 30, b. England
Sackett, Gilbert, 34, b. NY
Sackett, Sabra, 28, b. NY
Sackett, Charles, 8, b. MI
Sackett, Ada, 4, b. MI
Sackett, E ?, 2, male, b. MI
Sackett, George W, 4, b. NY
Sackett, Stephen M, 25, carpenter, b. NY.
- 1860 US census, digital image, Ancestry.com, Page 833, FHL film 803543
Adams, Hillsdale, Michigan, 16 Jul 1860
Sackett, Gilbert, 45, farmer, b. NY
Sackett, Jane, 25, b. MI
Sackett, Charles, 7, b. MI
Sackett, Ada A, 4, b. MI
Sackett, X?, 2, male, b. MI.
[The initial X? could be taken as "H" but this does not match other names beginning with "H" on the page]
- 1870 US census, digital image, Ancestry.com, Roll M593_686, p 476B, FHL film 552185
Rollin, Lenawee, Michigan
Sacket, Charles, 18, farm laborer, b. MI.
[In household of Gershwin Bennett, a farmer]
- 1880 US census, digital image, Ancestry.com, Roll 1311, p 131A, Enumeration District 056
Precinct 1, North of Whitevale, Hopkins, Texas
Sacket, Charles R, head, 38 [sic], farmer, b. MI, father b. NY, mother b. NY
Sacket, Adelfa M, wife, 26, keeping house, b. MI, father b. NY, mother b. MI.
- "Michigan, Wills and Probate Records, 1784–1980", digital image, Ancestry.com.
|See also||Andrew P Sackett, Ancestors and Descendants of Frederick Plummer Sackett|
Thurmon King's Database, 11692
|Charts||Line 3a (American)|
Descendants of Charles Sackett (Frederick Plummer Sackett's grandfather)
|Sackett line||Great-grandson of Aaron Sackett|
|Last Edited||24 Dec 2020|