James Thomas Sackett
|Father||John Sackett (1838-1916)|
|Mother||Maria Smith (c 1840-1919)|
In 1871 James was living at Felderland, Worth, KentG, in the household of his parents John and Maria, and was recorded in the census as James T Sackett, aged seven and born in Worth.11
James served for twelve years in the Royal Navy from 7 October 1880 to 10 September 1892, seeing service in ten ships. He overstated his age by a year to gain entry.12
In 1881 James was aboard HMS Superb and was recorded in the census as James Thos Sackett, a ward room servant, unmarried, aged 19 [actually 17], and born in Sandwich.13
In 1891 he was living at 20 Marlborough Row, Portsea, HampshireG, and was recorded as James T Sackett, a Royal Navy steward, head of household, aged 27. Living with him was his wife Amelia, aged 24.14
In 1901 he was living at 96 Kingston Road, PortsmouthG, and was recorded as James Sackett, a florist, head of household, married, aged 37 and born in Worth, Kent. Living with him were his wife Amelia (listed as Angelina), 34, and their children, Ivy, 9, Lylie, 7, and Ida, aged four. Also in the household was Amelia's unmarried sister Ada Bellchamber, 28.15
In 1921 he was living at 24 Bath Road, Southsea, Portsmouth, HampshireG, and was recorded as James Thomas Sackett, a steward on the White Star liner SS Adriatic, head of household, aged 57. Living with him were his wife Amelia, 54, their daughter Ida, 24, and Ida's husband Ernest Willie, 27.16
Children of James Thomas Sackett and Amelia Jane Bellchamber
Notes & Citations
- General Register Office, Online Index to Births, "Mar qtr 1864. Sackett, James Thomas. Mother: Smith. Eastry. 2a:752."
- Royal Navy record gives birth 26 Dec 1862. He appears to have exaggerated his age by one year.
- Baptism, Worth, Kent (LDS FamilySearch, England Births and Christenings, 1538-1975), "3 April 1864 James Thomas Sackett s. John Sackett & Maria."
- General Register Office, Online Index to Deaths, "Mar qtr 1933. Sackett, James T, 68. Portsmouth."
- General Register Office, Online Index to Marriages, "Jun qtr 1889. Sackett, James Thomas. Portsea. 2b:820."
- General Register Office, Online Index to Marriages, "Jun qtr 1889. Bellchamber, Amelia Jane. Portsea. 2b:820."
- Marriages Register, St Mary, Portsea, Hampshire, "27 May 1889, James Thomas Sackett, 25, bachelor, steward, of 11 New Casey Street, father John Sackett, carpenter; to Amelia Jane Bellchamber, 22, spinster, of 64, New Road, father George Augustus Bellchamber, pensioner RN. Banns. Witnesses: Edith Mary Leach, William James Leach."
- General Register Office, Online Index to Births, "Jun qtr 1867. Bellchamber, Amelia Jane. Mother: Every. Portsea. 2b:448."
- General Register Office, Online Index to Deaths, "Jun qtr 1961. Sackett, Amelia J, 94. Weymouth. 7c:765."
- 1871 England census
RG10, piece 1000, folio 121, p. 10, GSU roll 827255
Felderland, Worth, Kent
John Sackett, head, married, 32, wheelwright, b. Kent, Margate
Maria Sackett, wife, 31, b. Kent, Ash
James T Sackett, son, 7, scholar, b. Worth
Elizabeth Sackett, dau, 5, scholar, b. Worth
Susan N Sackett, dau, 3, b. Worth
William N Sackett, son, 11mo, b. Worth.
- "UK, Royal Navy Registers of Seamen's Services, 1853–1928" (Ancestry image), "James Thomas Sackett, b. Worth, Sandwich, Kent, 26 Dec 1862, ht 5' 4½" (7 Mar 1891), hair black, eyes blue, complexion fair, trade: dispenser; ht 5' 6" (1 Sep 1892), complexion fresh; Superb, D2Cl, 7 Oct 1880, character very good; Invincible, D2Cl, 23 Aug 1881, vg; D1C, 1 May 1884, vg; Shore Plymouth, D2C, 9 Jul 1884, vg; St Vincent, D1C, 12 Jan 1886, vg; D of Wellington, D1C, vg; Bacchante, D1C, 6 Apr 1888, vg; Rover, 7 Nov 1888; Ruby, D1C, 22 May 1889, vg; Vernon, D1C, 3 May 1890, vg; Shore, 6 May 1891; Bellona, D2C, 8 Jul 1891, good; Shore Portsmouth, unfit, 6 Aug 1891, good; Nile, D3C, 1 Sep 1891, vg; 10 Sep 1892, fair, unsuitable."
- 1881 England census
FHL 1342355, PRO RG11/5640/20/11
Census Place: Royal Navy, England
James Thos. Sackett, other, unmarried, 19, b. Sandwich, Kent, ward room servt.
- 1891 England census
RG12, piece 862, folio 89, p. 22
20 Marlborough Row, Portsea (St John), Hampshire
James T Sackett, head, married, 27, steward RN, b. Kent, Worth
Amelia Sackett, wife, 24, b. Hants, Portsmouth.
- 1901 England census
RG13, piece 982, folio 14, p. 20
96 Kingston Road, Portsmouth (St Stephen), Hampshire
James Sackett, head, married, 37, florist, b. Kent, Worth
Angelina Sackett, wife, 34, b. Portsmouth, Hants
Ivy Sackett, dau, 9, b. Portsmouth, Hants
Lylie Sackett, dau, 7, b. Portsmouth, Hants
Ida Sackett, dau, 4, b. Portsmouth, Hants
Ada Bellchamber, sis-in-law, single, 28, b. Portsmouth, Hants.
- 1921 England census
24 Bath Road, Southsea, Portsmouth, Hampshire
James Thomas Sackett, head, 57y 4m, married, b. Worth, Kent, steward, mercantile marine, White Star Steamship Company, SS Adriatic, Southampton, New York Service
Amelia Jane Sackett, wife, 54y 3m, married, b. Portsmouth, home duties
Ernest Edgar Willie, son-in-law, 27y 9m, married, b. Gosport, Hampshire, clerk, Government (AS Dept), Royal Naval Armament Depot Priddy's Hard, Gosport
Ida Annie Willie, daughter, 24y 7m, married, b. Emsworth, Hampshire, home duties.
|Appears in||Sacketts in the Military|
|Sackett line||8th great-grandson of Thomas Sackett the elder of St Peter in Thanet|
|Last Edited||19 Nov 2022|