Norman A Sackett
|Father||Norman Sackett (1788-1834)|
|Mother||Sally Northrup (1792-1827)|
In 1850 Norman was living in Sharon, Litchfield County, ConnecticutG, in the household of Lemuel Merchant, 56, a farmer, and was recorded in the census as N A Sacket, a teacher, aged 25 and born in Ohio.10
In 1860 he was living in Simsbury, Hartford County, ConnecticutG, and was recorded as Norman Sackett, a teacher, aged 34. Living with him were his wife Julia, 33, and their children, John, 8, and William, aged three.11
Norman served as a Private in the American Civil War, enlisting in the First Connecticut Volunteers Light Battery on 15 October 1861. He transferred to the Veteran Reserve Corps in 1864 and was discharged on 16 November 1865.2,5,12,13
In 1870 he was living in Avon, Hartford CountyG, and was recorded as Norman A Sacket, a teacher, aged 45. Living with him were his wife Julia, 44, and their children, John, 18, William, 13, and Arthur, aged nine.14
In 1880 he was living in SimsburyG and was recorded as Norman A Sackett, a school teacher, head of household, aged 55 and born in Ohio. Living with him were his wife Julia, 55, and their son Arthur, 19.15
After Norman's death, his widow Julia moved to New Haven. She was listed in the city directory there from 1892, living with her son Arthur.16
Julia filed for a Civil War veteran's widow's pension on 23 March 1904.17
Mrs. Julia A. Sackett
The death of Mrs. Julia A. Sackett, widow of Norman A. Sackett, occurred yesterday morning at the home of her son, Arthur N. Sackett, 71 Howard avenue. She was eighty-two years of age. The funeral will take place Saturday afternoon at 2 o'clock.
—The Morning Journal-Courier, New Haven, Connecticut, 14 Dec 1906, p 3.
Children of Norman A Sackett and Julia A Jenkins
Notes & Citations
- Charles Cook Bronson, History of Tallmadge and the Western Reserve 1804–1886, 2:78–81, "Norman [son of Norman Sackett and Sally Northrup], born March 18, 1824, resides in Tariffville, Conn."
- "US, National Homes for Disabled Volunteer Soldiers, 1866–1938" (Ancestry image), 3267, "Norman A Sackett, enlisted Meriden, Conn, Nov 14, 1861, Pvt, 1st Conn Batt Lt Art, discharged Washington DC May 2, 1864, re-enlistment in Vet Res Corps, Washington DC May 3, 1864, Pvt, Co A, 9th Vet Res Corps, discharged Washington DC Nov 16, 1865, expiration of service, disability: var veins both legs, hernia, contracted Watertown, Dak, Oct 1887. Born Ohio, age 65, 5'10", fair complexion, blue eyes, gray hair, school teacher, res. Sioux Falls, Dak, widower. Admitted to home Jan 15, 1889, died June 15, 1889, scirrhus, cancer of liver."
- "US, Burial Registers, MIlitary Posts and National Cemeteries, 1862–1960" (Ancestry image), Death Register, Western Branch NHDVS, "Norman A Sackett, 1 Conn Lt Art, d. 15 Jun 1889, aged 65, scirrhus cancer of liver, bur. Leavenworth National Cemetery, Kansas, grave 255."
- "U.S. Veterans Gravesites" (Ancestry transcript), "Sackett, Norman A, d. 15 Jun 1889, bur. Leavenworth National Cemetery, P. O. Box 1694 4101 S. 4th St, Traffic Way Leavenworth, KS 66048, Section 9 Row 2 Site 23, 15 Jun 1889, notes: US Army."
- "Headstones Provided for Deceased Union Civil War Veterans, 1861–1904" (Ancestry image), "Sackett, Norman A, Pvt, Co J, 1st Regt, Conn Lt Art, cemetery Soldiers Home, Leavenworth, Kans, d. 15 Jun 1889."
- Barbour Collection of Connecticut Vital Records, "Sackett, Norman A., of Ashland, O., m. Julia Jenkins, of Sharon, Aug. 25, 1851, by Rev. Charles Rockwall. Sharon Vital Records, LR27:545."
- Date of birth based on age at death.
- "Connecticut, Hale Cemetery Inscriptions and Newspaper Notices, 1629–1934" (Ancestry image), 32:890, Inscription, Evergreen Cemetery, New Haven, New Haven County, "Sacket, Julia A, wife of N A, born 1824, died 1906."
- 1850 United States census
Roll M432_43, p. 31B, Image 290
Sharon, Litchfield County, Connecticut
Sacket, N A, 25, teacher, b. Ohio
[in household of Lemuel Merchant, 56, a farmer].
- 1860 United States census
Roll M653_79, p. 582, Image 193, FHL Film 803079
Simsbury, Hartford County, Connecticut, 11 Jul 1860
Sackett, Norman, 34, teacher of school, personal estate $125, b. OH
Sackett, Julia, 33, housekeeper, b. CT
Sackett, John, 8, b. OH
Sackett, William, 3, b. CT.
- Record of Service of Connecticut Men in the Army and Navy of the United States during the War of the Rebellion (Hartford, Conn: Press of The Case, Lockwood & Brainard Company, 1889), History of the First CV Light Battery, 103, Privates, "Sackett, Norman A, of Bloomfield, enlisted Oct 15, '61, mustered Nov 14, '61, Trans. to unassigned detachment V.R.C. Feb 25, '64. Re-en Vet. May 3, '64. Trans to Co. C. 11th Regt. V.R.C. Trans to Co. D. 12th Regt. V.R.C. Trans to Co. A, 9th Regt. V.R.C. Disc. Nov 16, '65."
- "US Civil War Soldier Records and Profiles, 1861–1865" (Ancestry transcript), "Sackett, Norman A, of Bloomfield, Connecticut, Union, enlisted 15 Oct 1861, Private, mustered Connecticut, 14 Nov 1861, 1st LA, 25 Feb 1864."
- 1870 United States census
Roll M593_102, p 10B, FHL film
Avon, Hartford, Connecticut
Sacket, Norman A, 45, teacher, personal estate $100, b. CT
Sacket, Julia A, 44, keeping house, b. CT
Sacket, John D, 18, b. CT
Sacket, Wm E, 13, b. CT
Sacket, Arthur N, 9, b. CT.
- 1880 United States census
Simsbury, Hartford, Connecticut
Norman A. Sackett, head, married, 55, b. OH, school teacher, father b. OH, mother, b. OH
Julia Sackett, wife, 55, b. CT, keeping house, father VA, mother b. CT
Auther Sackett, son, single, 19, b. CT, at home, father b. OH, mother b. CT
FHL 1254100, NA T9-0100/591B.
- "US City Directories, 1822-1995" (Ancestry image), New Haven City Directory, 1892, 1893, "Sackett, Julia A. Mrs., h 34 Salem."; 1894, "Sackett, Julia A., widow Norman, h 34 Salem."; 1897, "Sackett Julia A., widow Norman, h 34 Salem."; 1900, 1901, 1902, "Sackett, Julia A., widow Norman, h 39 Howard av."; 1903, 1904, 1905, "Sackett, Julia A., widow Norman, h 71 Howard av."; 1906, "Sackett, Julia A., widow Norman, bds 71 Howard av."
- "US Civil War Pension Index 1861–1934" (Ancestry image), "Sackett, Norman A, Soldier, 1 Batty Conn. L.A.; C 11-D 12; A 9 V.R.C., widow Julia A Sackett, filed Connecticut, 23 Mar 1904."
|Appears in||Sacketts in the Military|
|Sackett line||7th great-grandson of Thomas Sackett the elder of St Peter in Thanet|
|Charts||Line 3a (American)|
|Last Edited||28 Apr 2022|