Walter John Sackett
|Father||William Sackett1 (1795-1871)|
|Mother||Maria Sarah Todd1 (1801-before 1841)|
Date: 26 June 1866.
Proved: Birmingham, 22 August 1866.
Source: Somerset House Indexes.
Walter John Sackett, bookseller, Birmingham, Warwickshire, died 27 June 1866 at Birmingham.
Personal estate under £2,000.
Wife Mary Ann Sackett, to inherit everything, for maintenance of self, & for maintenance & advancement of my 3 children by my former wife Sarah Elizabeth Mills.
Sole executrix: Mary Ann Sackett, his widow.
Will signed by making mark.
Witnesses: Frederick Wills, attorney, Birmingham, William Henry Weaver, grocer, Wolverhampton.
In 1851 Walter was living at Union Passage, Birmingham, WarwickshireG, and was recorded in the census as Walter J Sackett, head of household, a bookseller, aged 25 and born in Billericay, Essex. Living with him were his wife Sarah, 25, and their children Mary, 3, and William, aged 11 months. Also in the household was a female general servant.2
In 1861 he was living at 9 Highgate, Aston, Birmingham, WarwickshireG, and was recorded as Walter J Sackett, a publisher, head of household, a widower aged 35 and born in Billericay. Living with him were his children, Mary, 13, William, 10, and Sydney, aged seven. Also in the household were a female assistant and her daughter, and two female servants: a cook and a housemaid.12
Walter made his will in Birmingham, WarwickshireG, on 26 June 1866, naming as beneficiary his wife Mary, to whom he left everything "for her maintenance and for the maintenance, education and advancement of my three children by my former wife Sarah Elizabeth Mills." Walter made his will on his deathbed. As a bookseller he would have been an educated man, but he was able only to make his mark on the document. He died the following day. His personal estate was valued at nearly £2,000 and the will was proved on 22 August 1866.13
Children of Walter John Sackett and Sarah Elizabeth Mills
Notes & Citations
- Email from Judy Foster to Chris Sackett, 3 December 2004.
- 1851 Census for England & Wales, HO107/2055/f.58p.11
Union Passage, [nr. New St.]
Walter J. SACKETT, head, married, 25, bookseller, b. Essex, Billericay
Sarah E. SACKETT, wife, 25, b. Warwickshire, Aston
Mary SACKETT, dau, 3, b. Warwickshire, Aston
William SACKETT, son, 11 months, b. Warwickshire, Aston
Mary A. CHILLS, serv., unmarried, 23, gen. serv., b. Warwickshire, Aston.
- Baptisms Register, Great Burstead, Essex (England Births and Christenings, LDS FamilySearch), "24 Apr 1826, Walter Sackett, son of William Sackett & Maria."
- GRO Indexes to Deaths, 1837 to date (National Archives), "Jun qtr 1866. Sackett, Walter J, 40. Birmingham."
- Burials Register, Warstone Lane Cemetery, Birmingham, Warwickshire, database, Findmypast, "1866 Walter J Sackett."
- Marriage, St George, Birmingham, Warwickshire (IGI), "9 November 1845 Walter John Sackett & Sarah Elizabeth Mills."
- GRO Indexes to Marriages, 1837 to date (National Archives), "Dec qtr 1845. Sackett, Walter John. Birmingham."
- Burials Register, Warstone Lane Cemetery, Birmingham, Warwickshire, database, Findmypast, "1859 Sarah Elizabeth Sackett."
- GRO Indexes to Marriages, 1837 to date (National Archives), "Sep qtr 1862. Sackett, Walter John. Wolverhampton. 6b:525."
- Marriage, Sparkbrook, Warwickshire (IGI), "15 November 1870 Mary Ann Sackett or Weaver & James Pope."
- GRO Indexes to Marriages, 1837 to date (National Archives), "Dec qtr 1870. Sackett, Mary Ann. Aston."
- 1861 England census, digital image, Ancestry.com, RG9, piece 2172, folio 19, p. 32, GSU roll 542929
9 Highgate, Aston, Birmingham, Warwickshire
Walter J Sackett, head, widower, 35, publisher, b. Essex, Billericay
Mary M E Sackett, dau, 13, scholar, b. Warwick, Birmingham
William Sackett, son, 10, scholar, b. Warwick, Birmingham
Sydney Sackett, son, 7, scholar, b. Warwick, Birmingham
Margaret S Gilles?, visitor, widow, 39, assistant, b. Warwick, Birmingham
Ellen S Gilles?, visitor, 13?, scholar, b. Middlesex, Chelsea
Harriett Rayboult?, servant, widow, 38, cook, b. Somerset, Nailsea
Ann Savon?, servant, unm, 21, housemaid, b. Gloster, Rainswick.
- Will of Walter John Sackett of Birmingham, Warwickshire, 26 June 1866, proved in Birmingham, 22 August 1866 (Somerset House Indexes, unknown reference).
|Sackett line||3rd great-grandson of Richard Sackett of South Weald, Essex|
|Charts||Line 6 (English)|
|Last Edited||24 Sep 2019|