Jasper Newton Sackett
|Father||Elisha W Sackett1 (1794-1848)|
|Mother||Elizabeth Voyles1 (1807-1854)|
In 1850 Jasper was living in the Southwest part of District 22, Montgomery County, IllinoisG, in the household of his widowed mother Elizabeth, and was recorded in the census as Jasper Sackett, aged ten and born in Illinois.7
In 1860 he was living in Walshville, Montgomery CountyG, in the household of John Price, a farmer, and was recorded as Jasper Sackett, a farm laborer, aged 20.8
Jasper served the Union during the American Civil War, first in the Illinois 7th Infantry for three months from 16 April 1861 and then from 12 August 1861 in the 3rd Illinois Cavalry. He was discharged for disabilty on 11 April 1863.6,9,10,11,12 Following his war service he re-registered for the Civil War draft in Montgomery CountyG in June 1863. He was aged 23, unmarried, a farmer of Walshville Precinct.13
Jasper bought 40 acres of land in Township 10N in Illinois on 21 June 1867 at a price of $440.14
In 1870 he was living in Nokomis, Montgomery CountyG, and was recorded as Jasper Sacket, a farmer, aged 30. Living with him were his wife Emily, 22, and their children, Elmer, 4, Stella, 2, and Lilly, aged three months. There was also a male farm laborer in the household.15
In 1880 he was living in Spring Valley, Cherokee County, KansasG, and was recorded as Jasper N Sackett, a farmer, head of household, married, aged 40 and born in Illinois. Living with him were his wife Emily, 33, and their children, Elmer, 14, Geneva, 5, Jasper P, 3, and Lulu, aged one.16
In 1900 he was living in Cimarron Township, Payne County, OklahomaG, and was recorded as Jasper N Sackett, a farmer, head of household, aged 60 and born in Illinois. He owned his home and farm free of mortgage. Living with him were his wife Emily, 52, and their daughter Hattie, aged 15. Jasper and Emily's son Jasper Philip was living next door.17
In 1910 he was living at 16th Street, CimarronG, and was recorded as Jasper N Sackett, a widower, aged 70.18
In 1920 he was living at 9th Street, StillwaterG, and was recorded as Jasper N Sackett, head of household, a widower, aged 79. He owned his home. Also in the household were a female housekeeper and two roomers.19
In 1930 he was living at Lewis Street, StillwaterG, and was recorded as Jasper N Sackett, head of household, aged 89. He owned his home. Living with him were his daughter Lula and son-in-law John Clary.20
Deaths and Funerals
Jasper N. Sackett
Jasper N. Sackett, 93, Civil war veteran and pioneer Oklahoman, died Tuesday morning, March 7, 1933, at his home, 923 Lewis street, Stillwater, Ok.
The decedent was born in Stanton, Ill., April 18, 1840. He was united in marriage to Emily Jane Corlew at Walshville, Ill., April 6, 1865, and to this union ten children were born, four dying in infancy. A daughter, Mrs. Blanche Henson, died in Stillwater in 1928. Five surviving children are Elmer W. Sackett, Pawnee; Mrs. Geneva McPhail, Ripley; Jasper P. Sackett, Geary; Mrs Lulu Clary, Stillwater; Miss [sic] Hattie Smith, Arnett. There are sixteen grandchildren and thirty great-grandchildren. A sister, Mrs. Susan Smith, 90 years old, resides at Litchfield, Ill.
Jasper N. Sackett enlisted in the first call for volunteers in the Civil war, becoming a member of Company D, 7th Illinois infantry, where he served the full term of three months.
The day after his return to his home, he and his three brothers enlisted in Company L, Illinois cavalry, where he served for two years. One brother was killed in service. The decedent brought his family to Kansas in 1877, settling at Baxter Spriings. In 1889 he made the run for land in Oklahoma and homesteaded a claim four miles north of Ripley, which he owned at death. He often told the story of the run, describing how he was riding along on his mule when the animal became scared at a flight of wild turkeys and threw him to the ground. Here he staked his claim.
Mr. Sackett was a member of the Stillwater G.A.R. post from the date of its organization.
Funeral services were held at Strode Funeral home Thursday afternoon at 2:30 o'clock, the Rev. V.G. Nalley officiating with burial in Fairlawn. There were American Legion services at the grave by Carter C. Hanner Post No. 129.
—Stillwater Gazette, Stillwater, Oklahoma, 10 Mar 1933, p 6
[Similar report with minor changes of wording]
—Payne County News, Stillwater, Oklahoma, 10 Mar 1933, p 6.
Emily J Sackett, died June 6, 1903. Aged 55 years 5 months and 26 days. She was born in Montgomery county, Ill., and married Jasper N. Sackett, April 6, 1865, at Hillsboro Montgomery county Ill., and in the year 1877 together they moved to Cherokee county, Kansas, and in 1890 they moved on their homestead in Payne county where they lived at the time of her death. In the death of Mrs Sackett, the community has lost an estimable kind and sympathetic woman. Her every day life was that of a true good woman, and many there are who will ever hold her memory in grateful rememberance. The deceased suffered an attack of paralysis. The remains were laid to rest in the Ingalls Cemetery, and were followed on their last journey by many friends. The sympathy of the entire community is given the family in their sorrow.
But tis the fate of all
The fairest flowers must wither,
And the prowdest oak must fall
A mother kind and true has gone,
And sadly missed she'll be
By her husband children friends
Who loved her tenderly.
A patient sufferer she has been,
Cheerfully bearing her pain
For months a helpless invalid
Hoping to be well again.
To us who mourn her death
'Tis comfort in our sorrow
To hope that in a better world
We'll meet her on the morrow.
—The Stillwater Advance, Stillwater, Oklahoma, 11 Jun 1903, p 1.
Children of Jasper Newton Sackett and Emily Jane Corlew
- Elmer W Sackett+ b. 25 Jan 1866, d. 1955
- Estella Ann Sackett b. c 1868, d. 16 Jul 1872
- Lillie E Sackett b. 9 Mar 1870, d. 19 May 1872
- Edgar M Sackett b. 26 Jan 1872, d. before 1880
- Geneva Sackett+ b. 20 Sep 1874, d. 6 Apr 1952
- Genora Sackett b. 20 Sep 1874, d. 25 Oct 1876
- Jasper Philip Sackett+ b. 7 Oct 1876
- Lula Sackett b. 18 Nov 1878, d. 14 Jan 1962
- Emma B Sackett b. 12 Jun 1881
- Hattie Sackett+ b. 21 Dec 1884, d. 21 Feb 1973
Notes & Citations
- Thurmon King's database.
- Thurmon King's database, 11109 Jasper Newton Sackett.
- Website Find A Grave.
- "Illinois, County Marriages, 1800–1940", database, Ancestry.com, "6 Apr 1865, Montgomery, Illinois, Jasper Newton Sackett & Emily Jane Corlew."
- 1850 US census, digital image, Ancestry.com, Roll 121, p 135a
Southwest part of Dist 22, Montgomery, Illinois, 17 Sep 1850
Sackett, Elizabeth, 44, b. TN
Sackett, Mariah, 15, b. IL
Sackett, Samuel, 14, b. IL
Sackett, Jasper, 10, b. IL
Sackett, Susan, 9, b. IL
Sackett, Elisha, 8, b. IL
Sackett, William, 3, b. IL.
- 1860 US census, digital image, Ancestry.com, Page 151, FHL film 803214
Township 7 N Range 5 W (PO Walshville), Montgomery, Illinois
Sackett, Jasper, 20, farm laborer, b. IL.
[In household of John Price, farmer]
- "US Civil War Soldier Records and Profiles, 1861–1865", database, Ancestry.com, "Sacket, Jasper N, of Springfield, Illinois, Union, enlisted 16 Apr 1861, Private, mustered Illinois, 25 Apr 1861, Company D, 7th Infantry, mustered out Springfield, Illinois, 25 Jul 1861."
- "US Civil War Soldiers, 1861–1865", database, Ancestry.com, "Sackett, Jasper N., Union, 3rd Regiment, Illinois Cavalry, Company L, rank in Private, rank out Private."
- "Illinois Veterans Index, 1775–1995", database, Ancestry.com, "Sacket, Jasper N, 21, farmer, of Walshville, Montgomery Co, IL, b. Staunton, IL, enlisted Walshville, IL, 12 Aug 1861, period 3 yrs, Private, Company L, 3rd Illinois Cavalry, mustered Camp Butler, IL, 16 Aug 1861, discharged for disability Apr 11, 1863."
- "US Civil War Pension Index 1861–1934", digital image, Ancestry.com, "Sackett, Jasper N, Soldier, D 7, Ill. Inf.; L 3, Ill. Cavalry, filed Kansas, 2 Jan 1884."
- "US Civil War draft registrations records 1863–1865", digital image, Ancestry.com, "Sackett, Jasper N, of Walshville Precinct, 23, farmer, unmarried, b. Illinois, enumerated June 1863, 10th district, Montgomery, Illinois, white, class I."
- "Illinois, U.S., Public Land Purchase Records, 1813–1909", database, Ancestry.com, "Sackett, Jasper N, 21 Jun 1867, Section SESE, Type RR, Sect 18, Township 10N, Range 02W, Meridian 3, 40 acres, $11 per acre, price $440."
- 1870 US census, digital image, Ancestry.com, Roll M593_262, p 247B, FHL film 545761
Nokomis, Montgomery, Illinois
Sacket, Jasper, 30, farmer, real estate $3800, personal estate $1500, b. IL
Sacket, Emily J, 22, keeping house, b. IL
Sacket, Elmer, 4, b. IL
Sacket, Stella A, 2, b. IL
Sacket, Lilly, 3/12, b. IL
Caulk, Geo W, 13, farm laborer, b. IL.
- 1880 US census, digital image, Ancestry.com, NA T9-0376/646A
Spring Valley, Cherokee, Kansas
Jasper N. Sackett, head, married, 40, b. IL, farmer, father b. NY, mother b. IL
Emily J. Sackett, wife, 33, b. IL, keeping house, father b. IL, mother b. IL
Elmer Sackett, son, 14, b. IL, at home, father b. IL, mother b. IL
Geneva Sackett, dau, 5, b. IL, at home, father b. IL, mother b. IL
Jasper P. Sackett, son, 3, b. IL, at home, father b. IL, mother b. IL
Lulu Sackett, dau, 1, b. KS, at home, father b. IL, mother b. IL.
- 1900 US census, digital image, Ancestry.com, Roll 1341, p. 30A, Enumeration District 0181, FHL microfilm 1241341
Cimarron Township, Payne County, Oklahoma
Sackett, Jasper N, head, b. Apr 1840, 60, m. 35y, b. IL, father b. NY, mother b. IL, farmer, home (farm) owned free of mortgage
Sackett, Emily J, wife, b. Dec 1847, 52, m. 35y, 10 ch, 6 living, b. IL, father b. IL, mother b. TN
Sackett, Hattie, dau, b. Dec 1884, 15, b. KS, father b. IL, mother b. IL
[Next door to Jasper P Sackett].
- 1910 US census, digital image, Ancestry.com, Roll T624_1269, p 15B, Enumeration District 0185, FHL microfilm 1375282
16 St, Cimarron, Payne, Oklahoma, 14/16 May 1910
Sackett, Jasper N, 70, wd, own income, b. IL, father b. NY, mother b. IL.
- 1920 US census, digital image, Ancestry.com, Roll T625_1482, p 3B, Enumeration District 192
9th Street, Stillwater Ward 4, Payne, Oklahoma, 7/9 Jan 1920
Sackett, Jasper N, head, 79, wd, b. IL, father b. NY, mother b. IL, home owned
Daniels, Almira J, housekeeper, 60, wd, housekeeper, private home, b. IN, father b. IN, mother b. IN
Barnes, John, roomer, 47, well driller, oil field, b. MI, father b. OH, mother b. OH, home rented
Barnes, Mary, wife, 56, b. MO, father b. MO, mother b. MO.
- 1930 US census, digital image, Ancestry.com, Page 6A, Enumeration District 0031, FHL microfilm 2341659
Lewis, Stillwater, Payne, Oklahoma, 8 Apr 1930
Sackett, Jasper N, head, 89, m. at 24, b. IL, father b. NY, mother b. IL, home owned, $5000
Clary, John R, son-in-law, 68, m. at 33, carpenter, home building, b. MO, father b. KY, mother b. OH
Clary, Louie, daughter, 53, m. at 17, pressing, laundry, b. KS, father b. IL, mother b. IN.
|See also||Thurmon King's Database, 11109|
|Appears in||Sacketts in the Military|
|Sackett line||7th great-grandson of Thomas Sackett the elder of St Peter in Thanet|
|Charts||Line 3a (American)|
|Last Edited||16 Feb 2021|