Albert Edward Sackett
|Father||James Uriah Miller Sackett (1857-1925)|
|Mother||Harriet Mirams (1858-1950)|
In 1901 Albert was living at 7 Bristol Place, RamsgateG, in the household of his parents James and Harriet, and was recorded in the census as Albert Sackett, aged six and born in Ramsgate.5
In 1911 he was living at 158 High Street, Ramsgate, KentG, in the household of his parents James and Harriet, and was recorded as Albert Sackett, draper's assistant, aged 16 and born in Ramsgate.6
Albert served in the First World War in the 67th Field Ambulance, Royal Army Medical Corps, part of the 22nd Division. He enlisted at Canterbury, KentG, on 27 July 1915. He served in France with the British Expeditionary Force from September to November 1915. The division then became part of the British Salonika Army, with which he served until discharge in February 1919. He was awarded the Victory Medal, British Medal, and 1914-15 Star in recognition of his active service overseas.7,8,9
At the outbreak of the Second World War in September 1939, Albert was living at 55 Boundary Road, Ramsgate, KentG, with his mother Harriet. He was a waiter in a RAF officers' mess.10
|Sackett line||9th great-grandson of Thomas Sackett the elder of St Peter in Thanet|
|Appears in||Sacketts in the Military|
Notes & Citations
- GRO Indexes to Births, 1837 to date, "Jun qtr 1894. Sackett, Albert Edward. Mother: Mirams. Thanet. 2a:907."
- 1939 Register.
- "England & Wales deaths 1837–2006", database, Findmypast, "Jun qtr 1979. Sackett, Albert Edward, b. 23 May 1894. Surrey Mid Eastern. 17:0138."
- 1901 England census, digital image from National Archives microfilm, Ancestry.com, 825/41
7 Bristol Place, Ramsgate, Kent
James U Sackett, head, married, 46, house painter, worker, b. Ramsgate
Harriet Sackett, wife, 41, b. Ramsgate
Florence Sackett, dau, 17, b. Ramsgate
Lilian Sackett, dau, 13, b. Ramsgate
James Sackett, son, 12, b. Ramsgate
Albert Sackett, son, 6, b. Ramsgate.
- 1911 England census, digital image from National Archives microfilm, Ancestry.com, RG14, piece 4518, schedule 135
158 High St, Ramsgate, Kent
James Uriah Sackett, head, 58, married, house painter, worker, b. Ramsgate
Harriett Sackett, wife, 52, m. 33y, 8 ch, 4 living, b. Ramsgate
Edith [surname blank], dau, 29, married, b. Ramsgate
Florence Fagg, dau, 27, married, b. Ramsgate
Lillian [surname blank], dau, 23, married, b. Ramsgate
Albert Sackett, son, 16, drapers porter, b. Ramsgate
Harold Brown, nephew, 14, b. London, Greenwich.
[The married daughters, Edith and Lillian, are found in the 1911 census in their own households and were listed here incorrectly.]
- "British Army Service Records, 1914–1920", digital image, Findmypast, Albert Edward Sackett
 Short service, attestation, Albert Edward Sackett, of 14 Sussex Street, Ramsgate, 21y 2m, waiter & houseboy, unmarried, no previous military service, appointed Royal Army Medical Corps 27 Jul 1915 at Canterbury. Unit 67th Field Ambulance.
 Description. 21y 2m, CofE, ht 5' 7", chest 35", expansion 2", no marks; nok James Uriah Sackett, 14 Sussex Street, Ramsgate, father. Statement of services: RAMC attested Pte 20 Jul 1915, granted 5th rate Corps pay 4d Pte 1 Sep 1915.
 Military history: Home 20 Jul 1915 to 5 Sep 1915, 48d; BEF 6 Sep 1915 to 13 Nov 1915, 69d; BSF [British Salonika Army] 14 Nov 1915 to 17 Jan 1919, 3y 65d; Home 18 Jan 1919 to 14 Feb 1919. Medals: 1914-15 Star, British War Medal, Victory Medal.
 Trfd to Class "Z" Army reserve on demobilization 14 Feb 1919, address Oxford Terrace, 55 Boundary Road, Ramsgate. Born 1894. Medical category A.
 Medical history: 20 Jul 1915, age 21y 58d, sight imperfect but clear 6/9? with both eyes together.
- "Britain, Campaign, Gallantry & Long Service Medals & Awards", database, Findmypast.
- "British Army Medal Index Cards, 1914-1920", digital image, The National Archives, "Sackett, Albert E, Private, Royal Army Medical Corps, service no. 65064, Private, South Wales Borderers, service no. 48310, Victory Medal, British Medal, 1914-15 Star, Theatre of War France entry 6 Sep 1915. WO372/17."
- "1939 Register", UK, digital image, Findmypast, Sackett household, 55 Boundary Road, Ramsgate M B, Kent: RG101/1764F/004/2, Harriett Sackett, b. 8 Nov 1858, widowed, unpaid domestic duties; RG101/1764F/004/3, Albert A E Sackett, b. 23 May 1894, single, waiter RAF officers mess.
|Last Edited||25 June 2020|