Homer Skiff Sackett
|Father||Homer Sackett Jr (1801-1871)|
|Mother||Flora Skiff (1808-1859)|
Homer Sackett served from 1862 to 1865 as a Unionist soldier in the American Civil War. He enlisted in the 19th Connecticut Infantry, which subsequently became the 2nd Regiment, Connecticut Heavy Artillery. He was promoted to Sergeant in May 1865.11,12
In 1850 Homer was living in Warren, Litchfield CountyG, and was recorded in the census as Homer S Sackett, aged eleven and born in Connecticut. He was living with his parents Homer and Flora in the household of his grandparents Homer and Sarah.13
In 1860 he was living in WarrenG in the household of his father Homer and stepmother Julia, and was recorded as Homer Sackett, a farmer, aged 21.14
Homer was assessed for tax of $19.75 on income of $395 in ConnecticutG in 1865.15
In 1870 he was living in WarrenG and was recorded as Homer S Sackett, a farmer, aged 32. Living with him were his wife Charrie, 30, and their son, Edward, aged one. They were living next door to Homer's father.16
In 1880 he was living in Kent (later Warren), Litchfield CountyG, and was recorded as Homer S Sackett, a farmer, head of household, aged 41. Living with him were his wife Charrie, 40, and their children, Edward, 10, Flora, 9, and Orange, aged one.17
Homer was admitted to membership of the Congregational Church of Christ, WarrenG, on 7 May 1899, a few months before his death.4
Homer died intestate. Following his death, his three surviving children, Edward, Orange, and Evelyn, applied for the appointment of an administrator to value and sell his personal estate, including livestock, crops, and household furniture. After funeral and administration costs, a net sum of $646 was realised. The inventory indicates that Homer occupied a substantial dwelling, but in the absence of a will it is not known whether he owned his farm lands and farmhouse. The administrator of the estate was Miner A Strong, brother of Homer's late wife Charrie.
Died: 22 Dec 1899, leaving no widow & no will.
Application for administration: Litchfield Probate District, 5 Jan 1900.
Heirs-at-law: Edward Sackett, Jersey City, NY, son; Orange Sackett, Warren, son; Evelyn Sackett, Jersey City, dau, a minor.
Inventory of personal estate: Total $896, incl. 47 sheep $129, 2 colts $65, 13 cows $255, 4 calves $44, hay in 3 barns $102. Charges $250, incl. creditors' claims $68, funeral & administration costs $157. Cash balance $646.
Inventory lists furniture and other items in multiple rooms: kitchen, pantry, bedroom, back hall chamber, parlor, middle chamber, blue room, upper hall, front hall, sitting room, middle room, south west chamber, north west chamber.
Administration account: 3 Dec 1900.
Administrator: Miner A Strong, of Warren.
(Src: Find A Grave, Carman DM)
(Src: Find A Grave, J Fenn-Lawson)
Children of Homer Skiff Sackett and Charrie E Strong
3940. Homer S. Sackett, 1838–, of Warren, Conn., son of (1528) Homer Sackett and Flora Skipp, was married, on Oct. 3, 1866, to Charrie E. Strong, 1839-1890, daughter of Martin B. Strong and Orra M. Curtiss. In August, 1862, Mr. Sackett enlisted in 19th Conn. Infantry, which subsequently became the 2d Conn. Heavy Artillery. He participated, under Sheridan, in the Shenandoah campaign, and was with the Army of the Potomac in the battles of the Wilderness. At Cold Harbor he was quite severely wounded, but remained in active service, participating in many battles and serving with credit in the final campaign which ended in the surrender of the Army of Northern Virginia at Appomattox, receiving his final discharge in July, 1865.
6851. Flora A. Sackett, b. Nov. 29, 1870, d. July 4, 1894; m. R. Swift.
6852. Orange Sackett, b. Nov. 30, 1878; m. Lulu V. Johnson.
6853. Evelyn Sackett, b. Dec. 26, 1883; resides at Garbutt, N. Y.
Notes & Citations
- Charles Weygant, The Sacketts of America, "3940. Homer S. Sacket, b. Dec. 15, 1838; m. Charrie E. Strong."
- "Connecticut, Church Record Abstracts, 1630–1920" (Ancestry image), Church of Christ, Warren, "Sackett, Homer, s. Homer, Jr, bp. Jun 1839. 2:127."
- "Connecticut Deaths and Burials Index, 1650–1934" (Ancestry transcript), "Homer S Sackett, 61, d. 22 Dec 1899, bur. Old Cemetery."
- "Connecticut, Church Record Abstracts, 1630–1920" (Ancestry image), Church of Christ, Warren, "Sackett, Homer Skiff, adm. ch. 7 May 1899, on profession; d. 22 Dec 1899, age 61. 5:126-7."
- "Connecticut, Hale Cemetery Inscriptions and Newspaper Notices, 1629–1934" (Ancestry image), 51:17, Inscription, Old Cemetery, Warren, Litchfield County, "Sackett, Homer S, 3rd, (Co H 2nd Conn Vols Hvy Arty), died Dec 22, 1899, age 61 yrs, (GAR marker)."
- Inscription "Homer S Sackett 3rd died Dec 22nd 1899 aged 61 years / Member Co H 2nd CVHA." "Charrie E wife of H S Sackett / ... / aged 51 years."
- Date of birth based on age at death.
- "Connecticut, Hale Cemetery Inscriptions and Newspaper Notices, 1629–1934" (Ancestry image), Danbury Times, 7 Jan 1891, "Sackett, Charrie (Mrs), Warren, died Dec, age 51."
- "Connecticut, Hale Cemetery Inscriptions and Newspaper Notices, 1629–1934" (Ancestry image), 51:17, Inscription, Old Cemetery, Warren, Litchfield County, "Sackett, Charrie E, wife of Homer S 3rd, died Dec 26, 1880 [sic: 1890], age 51 yrs."
- Website American Civil War database (National Park Service) (www.itd.nps.gov/cwss/index.html), "Sackett, Homer S, Union, 2nd Regiment, Connecticut Heavy Artillery."
- Record of Service of Connecticut Men in the Army and Navy of the United States during the War of the Rebellion (Hartford, Conn: Press of The Case, Lockwood & Brainard Company, 1889), History of the Second Regiment CV Heavy Artillery, 202, Company H, Sergeants, "Sackett, Homer S, of Warren, enlisted Aug 6, '62, mustered Sep 11, '62, Must. Priv. Pro. Corp. Mch 16, '65; Sergt. May 23, '65. Disc. July 7, '65."
- 1850 United States Federal Census
Roll M432_43, p. 85
Warren, Litchfield, Connecticut
Sackett, Homer, 85, m, farmer, b. CT
Sackett, Sarah, 81, f, b. CT
Sackett, Homer Jr., 48, m, farmer, b. CT
Sackett, Flora, 42, f, b. CT
Sackett, Edward, 14, m, b. CT
Sackett, Homer S., 11, m, b. CT
Sackett, Augustine, 9, m, b. CT
Sackett, Flora J., 3, f, b. CT
Hogan, John, 22, m, laborer, b. IRE
Pratt, James, 21, m, laborer, b. IRE
Kerney, Margaret, 18, f, b. IRE.
- 1860 United States Federal Census
Roll M653_81, p 330, FHL film 803081
Warren, Litchfield, Connecticut
Sackett, Homer, 58, farmer, real estate $8000, personal estate $3000, b. CT
Sackett, Julia, 35, b. CT
Sackett, Edward, 24, farmer, personal estate $600, b. CT
Sackett, Homer L, 21, farmer, b. CT
Sackett, Augustine, 19, farmer, b. CT
Sackett, Flora, 13, b. CT
Fitzgerald, Patrick, 20, farm laborer, b. Ireland
Garvin, Joanna, 22, servant, b. Ireland.
- "US IRS Tax Assessment Lists, 1862–1918" (Ancestry image), Connecticut, 1865, "Sackett, Homer S, income $395, tax $19.75."
- 1870 United States Federal Census
Roll M593_106, p 499B, FHL film
Warren, Litchfield, Connecticut
Sackett, Homer S, 32, farmer, real estate $10000, personal estate $6756, b. CT
Sackett, Cherie, 30, keeping house, b. CT
Sackett, Edward, 1, b. CT.
[Next door to father Homer]
- 1880 United States Federal Census
Roll 101, p 327C, Enumeration District 018
Kent, Litchfield, Connecticut
Sackett, Homer S., head, 41, farmer, b. CT, father b. CT, mother b. CT
Sackett, Charry, wife, 40, keeping house, b. CT, father b. CT, mother b. CT
Sackett, Edward, son, 10, at school, b. CT, father b. CT, mother b. CT
Sackett, Flora, daughter, 9, at school, b. CT, father b. CT, mother b. CT
Sackett, Orange, son, 1, b. CT, father b. CT, mother b. CT.
|Appears in||Sacketts in the Military|
|Sackett line||7th great-grandson of Thomas Sackett the elder of St Peter in Thanet|
|Charts||Line 3a (American) (#1)|
Line 3a (American) (#2)
Homer Skiff Sackett & Charrie E Strong relationship chart
Descendants of Homer Sackett
|Last Edited||27 May 2023|