George Levi Sackett
|Father||Rufus Sackett (1808-1875)|
|Mother||Frances Parsons (1809-1879)|
In 1850 George was living in NorthamptonG in the household of his parents Rufus and Frances, and was recorded in the census as George Sackett, aged ten and born in Massachusetts.13
In 1860 he was living in Springfield, Hampden County, MassachusettsG, and was recorded as George L Sacket, a fireman, aged 22. Living with him were his wife Ann, 20, and their son George, aged four months.14
George registered for the US Civil War draft in June 1863. He was aged 24, a mechanic, and was married, living in NorthamptonG. He had previously served in the 12th Connecticut Regiment. A benefits claim made following his death states that he had enlisted in the 12th Connecticut Infantry on 22 October 1861 and had been discharged on 12 August 1865.15,16,17
In 1870 he was living in SpringfieldG and was recorded as Geo L Sackett, a machinist, aged 30. Living with him were his wife Mary, 28, and his son George H, aged ten.18
George was named as a beneficiary in his father's will made in NorthamptonG.19
In 1880 he was living in West SpringfieldG and was recorded as George L Sackett, a railroad engineer, head of household, aged 41. Living with him were his wife Mary, 37, and their adopted daughter Lilian, aged four.20
In 1900 he was living at Lowell Street, West SpringfieldG, and was recorded as George L Sackett, head of household, aged 60. He owned his home free of mortgage. Living with him were his wife Marie, 57, and their adopted daughter Annie, 24, with her husband Edwin Taylor, 24, and their son George Taylor, aged two.21 The adopted daughter Annie would appear to be the same as Lilian of the 1880 census and it may be assumed that her name was changed after adoption.
In 1910 he was living at Cottage Street, West SpringfieldG, in the household of his son George H Sackett and daughter-in-law Ellen, and was recorded as George L Sackett, a widower, aged 70.22
GEORGE L. SACKETT DIES AT AGE OF 76
Was Civil War Veteran and Formerly Engine Dispatcher on B. & A. Railroad
George L. Sackett, 76, a civil war veteran and a pensioned Boston and Albany railroad company employee, died this morning at 5:25 o'clock at his home on Cottage street following an attack of grip.
He was born October 3, 1839, in Northampton, the son of Rufus and Frances Sackett of that town. When the civil war broke out, he enlisted with the volunteers of Connecticut and served throughout the war. At its close he came to West Springfield and secured a position with the Boston and Albany railroad as engineer and later became engine dispatcher. He retired from the road in 1899 with a pension. He was a member of the First Baptist Church of this town and of Hampden Lodge of Odd Fellows of Springfield.
He leaves a son, George H. Sackett, and four sisters, Mrs. Josephine Dickinson of Boston, Mrs. William R. Allen and Mrs. E. Durant, both of New Haven, Ct., and Mrs. A. Goodwin of San Francisco, Cal.
The funeral will be held Monday afternoon at 2 o'clock at the funeral parlors of Julius A. Morrill on Main street. Burial will be in Tatham cemetery. Rev. W. L. Atherton of the First Baptist church will officiate.
—Springfield Daily News, Springfield, Massachusetts, 15 Jan 1916, p 7.
Child of George Levi Sackett and Ann Ellen Nicholson
- George Henry Sackett+ b. 15 Dec 1859, d. 5 Feb 1939
Child of George Levi Sackett and Marie A H F Amtmann
- Lilian M/Annie M Sackett+ b. Mar 1876
Notes & Citations
- Charles Weygant, The Sacketts of America, "3383. George L. Sackett, b. in 1841; m. Mary A. ___."
- "Massachusetts, Town and Vital records, 1620–1988", digital image, Ancestry.com, West Springfield births, "George L. Sackett, h. Marie A., ___, 1839."
- "Massachusetts, Death Index, 1901–1980", digital image, Ancestry.com, "Sackett, George Levi, West Springfield, 1916. 92:215."
- Website Find A Grave.
- "United States Marriages", digital image, Findmypast, "Intentions of marriage, 5 Dec 1857, Chicopee, Hampden, Massachusetts, George L. Sackett, of Seymour, CT, age 21, laborer, b. Seymour, CT, father Rufus Sackett; to Ann E Nicholson, of Warehouse Pt, CT, age 18, b. Warehouse Pt, CT, father Charles Nicholson."
- "Massachusetts Vital Records, 1841–1910", digital image, American Ancestors, Chicopee, 1858, v118, p8, Marriage, "1858 June 6th, G L Sackett, of Holyoke, 21, machinist, b. Northampton, s. Rufus & Frances; and A E Nicholson, of Newark NY [sic], 18, b. Newark NJ, d. Chas Nicholson; both first m., m. by B V Stevenson, Pastor, United Church."
- Son George's birth record.
- "Massachusetts, Town and Vital records, 1620–1988", digital image, Ancestry.com, West Springfield births, "Marie A. (___), w. George L. Sackett, 1843."
- Death record.
- "Massachusetts Vital Records, 1841–1910", digital image, American Ancestors, West Springfield, 1909, v100, p172, death, "Marie A H F Sackett, d. 88 Lowell St, W Springfield, Mass, Apr 23, 1909, res 88 Lowell St, age 66-0-2, married, maiden name Marie A H F Amtmann; husband George L Sackett; birthplace Germany; father Frederick P Amtmann, b. Germany; mother Hortensie Saragt, b. Germany; occ housewife; informant George L Sackett, 88 Lowell St; bur Tatham Cemetery, Apr 25, 1909; cause grippe, contributory pneumonia."
- 1850 US census, digital image, Ancestry.com, Roll 320, p 101A
Northampton, Hampshire, Massachusetts, 7 Aug 1850
Sackett, Rufus, 41, shoemaker, real estate $800, b. MA
Sackett, Frances, 40, b. MA
Sackett, Rufus W, 19, clerk, b. MA
Sackett, Jerusha, 15, b. MA
Sackett, Louisa, 13, b. MA
Sackett, George, 10, b. MA
Sackett, Sarah A, 8, b. MA
Sackett, Josephine, 6, b. MA
Sackett, Frederic, 4, b. MA
Sackett, Ella M, 1/12, b. MA
Richardson, Kesiah, 24, b. MA
Parsons, Seth, 54, none, b. MA
[Illegible], Theodore, , 25, shoemaker, b. Canada.
- 1860 US census, digital image, Ancestry.com, Page 229, FHL film 803503
Springfield, Hampden, Massachusetts, 17 Jul 1860
Sacket, George L, 22, fireman, personal estate $300, b. MA
Sacket, A E, 20, b. NJ
Sacket, George L Jr, 4/12, b. MA
James, Fran M, 19, machinist, b. VT.
- "US Civil War draft registrations records 1863–1865", digital image, Ancestry.com, "Sackett, George L [name struck through], of Northampton, mechanic, married, b. Massachusetts, former service: 12th Conn, enumerated June 1863,9th district, Massachusetts, white, class I."
- "US Civil War draft registrations records 1863–1865", digital image, Ancestry.com, "Sackett, George L, of Northampton, 24, mechanic, married, b. Massachusetts, former service: 12th Conn Regt, enumerated [presume 1863], 9th district, Massachusetts, white, class III."
- "United States, Veterans Administration Master Index, 1917–1940", digital image, FamilySearch, "Sackett, George L, Pvt Co B 12 Conn Inf, 42 Cottage St, W Springfield, Mass, b. 3 Oct 1839, d. 15 Jan 1916, enl 22 Oct 1861, dis 12 Aug 1865."
- 1870 US census, digital image, Ancestry.com, Roll M593_618, p 92A, FHL film 552117
Springfield Ward 2, Hampden, Massachusetts, 15 Jul 1870
Sackett, Geo L, 30, machinist, b. MA
Sackett, Mary A, 28, keeping house, b. MA
Sackett, Geo H, 10, at school, b. MA
Holmes, George, 37, carriage maker, b. MA.
- Website Vital Records of Northampton, Massachusetts (Corbin Collection) (New England Historic Genealogical Society),  Hampshire Co. Probate Box 343 No. 4, "Sacket, Rufus of Northampton, died Aug. 14 1875. Frederick A. Sackett, Administrator, a son. Widow – Frances. Other heirs: Rufus W. Sackett, Northampton; Louisa F. Day, daughter, Northampton, wife of Lewis Day; Alice J. Sackett, daughter, Northampton; Jerusha E. Allen, daughter, New Haven, Ct., wife of Wm B. Allen; Sarah E. Marsh, daughter, New Haven, Ct., wife of Chas Marsh; Josephine Sackett, daughter, Boston; Ella M. Sackett, daughter, New Haven, Ct.; George Sackett, son, Springfield."
- 1880 US census, digital image, Ancestry.com, Roll 535, p 88C, Enumeration District 297
West Springfield, Hampden, Massachusetts, 5 Jun 1880
Sackett, George L, head, 41, RR engineer, b. MA, father b. MA, mother b. MA
Sackett, Mary A, wife, 37, keeping house, b. Germany, father b. Bavaria, mother b. Bavaria
Sackett, Lilian M, adopted dau, 4, b. NY, father b. unk, mother b. unk.
- 1900 US census, digital image, Ancestry.com, Page 11, Enumeration District 0611, FHL microfilm 1240653
Lowell Street, West Springfield, Hampden, Massachusetts, 8 Jun 1900
Sackett, George L, head, b. Oct 1839, 60, m. 30y, b. MA, father b. MA, mother b. MA, home owned free of mortgage
Sackett, Marie, wife, b. Apr 1842, 57, m. 30y, no ch, b. Germany, father b. Germany, mother b. Germany
Taylor, Edwin D, son-in-law, b. Jan 1876, 24, m. 4y, wire weaver, b. MA, father b. unk, mother b. MA
Taylor, Annie M, daughter, b. Mar 1876, 24, m. 4y, b. NY, father b. MA, mother b. unk
Taylor, George E, son, b. Aug 1897, 2, b. MA, father b. MA, mother b. NY.
- 1910 US census, digital image, Ancestry.com, Roll T624_591, p 26B, Enumeration District 0671, FHL microfilm 1374604
Cottage Street, West Springfield, Hampden, Massachusetts, 2 May 1910
Sackett, George H, head, 50, m1. 30y, engineer, railroad, b. MA, father b. MA, mother b. MA, home owned free of mortgage
Sackett, Ellen C, wife, 49, m1. 30y, b. Canada, father b. Canada, mother b. Canada
Sackett, George L, father, 70, wd, b. MA, father b. MA, mother b. MA.
[Next door to Murry J Root]
|See also||Thurmon King's Database, 2255|
|Appears in||Sacketts in the Military|
|Sackett line||7th great-grandson of Thomas Sackett the elder of St Peter in Thanet|
|Charts||Line 3a (American)|
|Last Edited||29 Aug 2020|