George Henry Sackett
|Father||Alfred Sackett (1842-1931)|
|Mother||Eliza Crideford (c 1846-1916)|
In 1881 George was living at 12 Park Street, West TeignmouthG, in the household of his parents Alfred and Eliza, and was recorded in the census as George Sackett, a schoolboy, aged five and born in Teignmouth.7
On 5 April 1891 George Sackett, aged 16, was a crewman on the vessel Helen Burns berthed at the South Dock, Swansea, Glamorgan, WalesG.8
George was a crewman in 1895 on the schooner Touch-Me-Not. The vessel became ice-bound at Antwerp on a voyage from Teignmouth to Antwerp and then to Sunderland. He and another crewman sued the master for unpaid wages during the period the ship was ice-bound.9
In 1901 he was living at 10 Khartoum Road, Weymouth, DorsetG, and was recorded as George Sackett, a labourer at the Whitehead Torpedo Works, head of household, married, aged 24. Living with him were his wife Eliza, 25, and their daughter Edith, aged two. There was also a male boarder in the household.10
In 1911 he was living at 21 Spring Gardens, Weymouth, DorsetG, and was recorded as George Sackett, a driller in a loco torpedo works, head of household, aged 36 and born in Teignmouth. Living with him were his wife Eliza, 36, and their daughters, Edith, 12, and Ethel, aged ten.11
At the outbreak of the Second World War in September 1939, George and Eliza were living at 55 Southview Road, Weymouth, DorsetG. George was a radial driller.12
George left a will which was proved on 22 April 1966 by his daughters Edith and Ethel. His estate was valued at £3,061.13
Children of George Henry Sackett and Eliza Ayres
|Sackett line||8th great-grandson of Thomas Sackett the elder of St Peter in Thanet|
|Charts||Line 3 (English)|
Notes & Citations
- GRO Indexes to Births, 1837 to date, "Jun qtr 1875. Sackett, George Henry. Mother: Crideford. Newton A. 5b:111."
- 1939 Register.
- GRO Indexes to Deaths, 1837 to date (FreeBMD), "Mar qtr 1966. Sackett, George H, 90. Weymouth. 7c:1065."
- Probate record.
- Census. A marriage record has not been found.
- 1881 England census, digital image, Ancestry.com, FHL 1341520, PRO RG11/2156/41/15
12 Park St, West Teignmouth, Devon
Alfred Sackett, head, married, 38, b. Ramsgate, Kent, mariner
Eliza Sackett, wife, 35, b. Teignmouth, Devon
Alfred Sackett, son, 14, b. Teignmouth, fisher boy (man)
Kate Sackett, dau, 11, b. Teignmouth, scholar
Dinah Sackett, dau, 8, b. Teignmouth, scholar
George Sackett, son, 5, b. Teignmouth, scholar
Benjamin Sackett, son, 3, b. Teignmouth, scholar
Bella Sackett, dau, 1, b. Teignmouth.
- 1891 England census, digital image, Ancestry.com, 1891 Wales Census
Vessel "Helen Burns", South Dock, Swansea, Glamorgan, 5 Apr 1891
George Sackett, crew, single, 16, OS, b. Devon, Teignmouth.
- British Newspapers Collection, "Exeter and Plymouth Gazette", digital image, Findmypast, 23 Apr 1895, Seamen's Claim for Wages at Teignmouth.
- 1901 England census, digital image, Ancestry.com, RG13; Piece: 1994; Folio: 125; Page: 16
10 Khartoum Road, All Saints and Wyke Regis, Weymouth, Dorset
George Sackett, head, married, 24, labourer Whitehead Torpedo Works, b. Devon, Teignmouth
Eliza Sackett, wife, 25, b. Somerset, Bridgewater
Edith Sackett, dau, 2, b. Dorset, Fleet
George Chaplin, boarder, single, 22, machinist Whitehead Torpedo Works, b. London, Camden Town.
- 1911 England census, digital image, Ancestry.com, 21 Spring Gardens, Weymouth, Dorset
George Sackett, head, 36, married, driller Whitehead Torpedo, loco torpedo works, worker, b. Devon, Teignmouth
Eliza Sackett, wife, 36, m. 13y, 4 ch, 2 living, b. Somerset, Bridgewater
Edith Sackett, dau, 12, school, b. Dorset, Weymouth
Ethel Sackett, dau, 10, school, b. Dorset, Weymouth.
- "1939 Register", UK, digital image, Findmypast, Sackett household, 55 South View Road, Weymouth and Melcombe Regis M B, Dorset: George H Sackett, b. 15 May 1875, married, radial driller; Eliza Sackett, b. 5 Oct 1874, married, unpaid domestic duties.
- "England & Wales, National Probate Calendar (Index of Wills & Administrations), 1858–1995", digital image, Ancestry.com, "Sackett George Henry of 55 Southview Road Westham Weymouth Dorset died 12 February 1966 Probate Winchester 22 April to Edith Marion Sheldon widow and Ethel Eliza Vallens married woman. £3061."
|Last Edited||4 February 2018|