Wallace Render Sackett
|Father||Frederick Charles Sackett (1870-1964)|
|Mother||Jessie Gray Cousland (1869-1951)|
In 1911 Wallace was living at Hillside, Wingham, KentG, in the household of his parents Frederick and Jessie, and was recorded in the census as Wallace Render Sackett, a draper's assistant, aged 15 and born in Ramsgate.8
Wallace served in the British Army during the First World War as a Private in the Somerset Light Infantry and then in the Labour Corps. He was awarded the Victory Medal and the British Medal in recognition of active service overseas. He was granted a Silver War Badge, to be worn with civilian clothes to indicate that he had been honourably discharged due to wounds or sickness.9,10
At the outbreak of the Second World War in September 1939, Wallace and Emily were living at 14 Silchester Road, Hastings, SussexG. Wallace was a ladies tailor.11
Child of Wallace Render Sackett and Emily Esther Bown
- Joan E Sackett+ b. 1922
|Sackett line||9th great-grandson of Thomas Sackett the elder of St Peter in Thanet|
|Appears in||Sacketts in the Military|
Notes & Citations
- GRO Indexes to Births, 1837 to date, "Dec qtr 1895. Sackett, Wallace Rendor. Mother: Cousland. Thanet. 2a:877."
- 1939 Register.
- "England & Wales deaths 1837–2006", database, Findmypast, "Jun qtr 1974. Sackett, Wallace Render, b. 7 Sep 1895. Pershore. 29:0594."
- GRO Indexes to Marriages, 1837 to date (FreeBMD), "Jun qtr 1920. Sackett, Wallace R. Spouse: Bown. Hastings. 2b:84."
- GRO Indexes to Marriages, 1837 to date (FreeBMD), "Jun qtr 1920. Bown, Emily E. Spouse: Sackett. Hastings. 2b:84."
- "England & Wales, Civil Registration Death Index, 1916–2007", database, Ancestry.com, "Oct 1987. Sackett, Emily Esther, b. 25 Apr 1896. Meirionydd. 25:360:1087."
- 1911 England census, digital image from National Archives microfilm, Ancestry.com, RG14, piece 4557, schedule 189
Hillside, Wingham, Kent
Frederick Charles Sackett, head, 41, married, evangelist, undenominational, own account, b. Broadstairs, Kent
Jessie Gray Sackett, wife, 41, m. 16y, 3 ch, all living, b. Denny, Scotland
Wallace Render Sackett, son, 15, draper's assistant, b. Ramsgate, Kent
Elsie Sackett, dau, 12, b. Southborough, Kent
Grace May Sackett, dau, 2, b. Faversham, Kent.
- "Britain, Campaign, Gallantry & Long Service Medals & Awards", database, Findmypast.
- "British Army Medal Index Cards, 1914-1920", digital image, The National Archives, "Sackett, Wallace R, Private, Somerset Light Infantry, service no. 42039, Private, Labour Corps, service no. 649603, Victory Medal, British Medal, Silver War Badge. WO372/17."
- "1939 Register", UK, digital image, Findmypast, Sackett household, 14 Silchester Road (shop), Hastings C B, Sussex: Wallace R Sackett, b. 7 Sep 1895, married, master tailor (ladies); Emily E Sackett, b. 25 Apr 1896, married, unpaid domestic duties.
|Last Edited||26 June 2020|