Gladys May Sackett
|Father||Frederick Charles Sackett (1870-1925)|
|Mother||Clarissa Mary Wood (c 1868-1903)|
In 1901 Gladys was living at 20 Bath Street, Brighton, SussexG, in the household of her parents Frederick and Clarissa, and was recorded in the census as Gladys M Sackett, aged nine and born in Herne Bay.6
Gladys attended the Ipswich Municipal Secondary School, Ipswich, SuffolkG, from 8 September 1902, having previously attended the British School in Ipswich. The family were then living at 185 Princes Street. She transferred to the upper school on 4 May 1903 when the family were living at 16 Withipoll Street. She left on 13 May 1904 when the family moved to Bury St Edmunds.7,8
In 1921 she was living at 24 Egerton Road, Heaton Norris, Stockport, CheshireG, in the household of her father Frederick and stepmother Mary, and was recorded as Gladys M Sackett, a drapers' assistant, aged 30.9
At the outbreak of the Second World War in September 1939, Gladys was living at 69 Victoria Road, Thornton Cleveleys, LancashireG, where she had a ladies outfitters shop.10
Notes & Citations
- General Register Office, Online Index to Births, "Jun qtr 1891. Sackett, Gladys May. Mother: Wood. Blean. 2a:857."
- School record.
- 1939 Register.
- General Register Office, Online Index to Deaths, "Sep qtr 1968. Sackett, Gladys M, 77. Hiraethog. 8a:339."
- Date from Marion Sackett.
- 1901 England census
20 Bath Street, Brighton (St Peter), Sussex
Frederick C Sackett, head, married, 31, provision merchant manager, worker, b. Ramsgate, Kent
Clarissa M Sackett, wife, 33, b. Whitstable, Kent
Theodora C B Sackett, dau, 11, b. Whitstable
Gladys M Sackett, dau, 9, b. Herne Bay, Kent
Frederick H Sackett, son, 7, b. St Peter's, Kent
Richard R Sackett, son, 4, b. Ramsgate.
- "National School Admission Registers & Log-Books 1870–1914" (Findmypast image), Ipswich Municipal Secondary, Ipswich, Suffolk, "No. 2733, adm 8 Sep 1902, Sackett, Gladys, b. 10 May 1891, of 185 Princes St, father Frederick, last sch British, left 1 May 1903, trfd to H.E."
- "National School Admission Registers & Log-Books 1870–1914" (Findmypast image), Ipswich Municipal Secondary, Ipswich, Suffolk, "No. 958, adm 4 May 1903, Sackett, Gladys, b. 8 May 1891, of 16 Withipoll St, father Fredk Chas, left 13 May 1904, gone to Bury St Edmunds."
- 1921 England census
24 Egerton Road, Heaton Norris, Stockport, Cheshire
Frederick C Sackett, head, 50y 8m, married, b. Ramsgate, Kent, inspector of shops, Maypole Dairy Co, Maypole House Finsbury Sqr, EC
Mary Sackett, wife, 45y 2m, married, b. Peckham, London
Gladys M Sackett, daughter, 30y 1m, single, b. Herne Bay, Kent, drapers asst, Robert Lomas Ltd, Oldham St
Charles H Sackett, son, 14y 10m, b. Bury St Edms, Suffolk
Arthur H Sackett, son, 10y 5m, b. Wolverhampton, Staffordshire
Lois M Priestman, servant, 39y 11m, single, b. Hulme, Lancs, domestic, in private service, 24 Egerton Rd.
- "1939 Register" (Findmypast image), Sackett household, Shop, 69 Victoria Road, Thornton Cleveleys U D, Lancashire: Gladys M Sackett, b. 10 May 1891, single, shop keeper ladies outfitter.
|Sackett line||9th great-granddaughter of Thomas Sackett the elder of St Peter in Thanet|
|Last Edited||23 Nov 2022|