William Neame Sackett
|Father||John Sackett (1838-1916)|
|Mother||Maria Smith (c 1840-1919)|
In 1871 William was living at Felderland, Worth, KentG, in the household of his parents John and Maria, and was recorded in the census as William N Sackett, aged eleven months and born in Worth.9
In 1881 William was living at Worth Street Post Office & Grocers Shop, Worth, KentG, and was recorded in the census as William N Sackett, a scholar aged 10 and born in Worth, Kent. William, and his brother John S Sackett, were recorded in the household of their great uncle William Neame, the sub-postmaster.10
William served as a steward in the Royal Navy from 13 July 1888 to 23 October 1915, when he received his pension. He re-entered the service on 24 October 1918 and was demobilised on 21 October 1919. He served on twelve ships, including in 1914–1915 the battlecruiser HMS Invincible which was sunk the following year at the Battle of Jutland.11
On 5 April 1891, William was serving in the Royal Navy aboard HMS Duke of Wellington, in Portsmouth Harbour, Hampshire. He was recorded as William Neame Sackett, crew, servant, single, aged 20 and born in Worth.12
On 31 March 1901 William was serving aboard HMS Dolphin, a sailing sloop, in the home training service in Portland Harbour, Dorset, and was recorded as William Sackett, crew, married, domestic 2nd class, aged 30 and born in Worth. His wife Alice was living at 3 Sussex Place, Alverstoke, Hampshire, with their children, Ethel, 3, and Alice, aged one.13,14
In 1911 William was living at 24 Victoria Street, Forton, Gosport, HampshireG, and was recorded in the census as William Neame Sackett, an officers' steward in the Royal Navy, head of houehold, aged 40 and born in Worth. Living with him were his wife Alice, 42, and their children, Ethel, 13, Alice, 11, William, 9, and Margery, aged eight. Alice's brother George Smith, 34, was also in the household.15
At the outbreak of the Second World War in September 1939, William and Alice were living at Crocks House, Alton, HampshireG, with a Pragnell family. William was retired.16
William was granted administration on 23 February 1942 of his wife Alice's estate, valued at £230.17
William died intestate. Letters of administration of his estate were granted at the Winchester Court, HampshireG, on 3 April 1959 to his son William George Sackett. The value of his estate was £288.18
Children of William Neame Sackett and Alice Susan Smith
|Sackett line||8th great-grandson of Thomas Sackett the elder of St Peter in Thanet|
|Appears in||Sacketts in the Military|
|Charts||Line 3 (English)|
Notes & Citations
- GRO Indexes to Births, 1837 to date, "Jun qtr 1870. Sackett, William Neame. Mother: Smith. Eastry. 2a:819."
- 1939 Register.
- GRO Indexes to Deaths, 1837 to date (National Archives), "Mar qtr 1959. Sackett, William N, 88. Gosport."
- Probate record.
- GRO Indexes to Marriages, 1837 to date (National Archives), "Dec qtr 1896. Sackett, William Neame. Alverstoke. 2b."
- GRO Indexes to Births, 1837 to date, "Sep qtr 1868. Smith, Alice Susan. Mother: Chipp. Alverstoke. 2b:484."
- GRO Indexes to Deaths, 1837 to date (National Archives), "Mar qtr 1942. Sackett, Alice S, 74. Alton."
- 1871 England census, digital image from National Archives microfilm, Ancestry.com, RG10, piece 1000, folio 121, p. 10, GSU roll 827255
Felderland, Worth, Kent
John Sackett, head, married, 32, wheelwright, b. Kent, Margate
Maria Sackett, wife, 31, b. Kent, Ash
James T Sackett, son, 7, scholar, b. Worth
Elizabeth Sackett, dau, 5, scholar, b. Worth
Susan N Sackett, dau, 3, b. Worth
William N Sackett, son, 11mo, b. Worth.
- 1881 Census for England & Wales, FHL 1341236, PRO RG11/0994/109/3
Worth Street Post Office & Grocers Shop
William NEAME, head, married, 60, b. Barham, Kent, sub post master & grocer
Susannah NEAME, wife, 60, b. Goodnestone, Kent, scholar
William N. SACKETT, nephews son, 10, b. Worth, Kent, scholar
John S. SACKETT, nephews son, 7, b. Worth, scholar.
- "UK, Royal Navy Registers of Seamen's Services, 1853–1928", digital image, Ancestry.com, "William Neame Sackett, b. Worth, Kent, 19 Apr 1870, ht 5' 4" (20 Feb 1895), hair lt brown, eyes grey, complexion fresh, occupation: carpenter; first ship D of Wellington, 13 Jul 1888, Dom3Cl, character very good; D2C, 1 Nov 1889, vg; Cruiser, D2C, 5 Jun 1891, vg; Edgar, D2C, 18 Jan 1894, vg; Cruiser, D2C, 18 Feb 1894, vg; Boscawen, D2C, 20 Feb 1895, vg; Colossus, D2C, 2 Aug 1898, vg; Boscawen, D2C, 4 Mar 1899, vg; Firequeen, D2C, 1 Oct 1903, vg; Tartar, D2C, 27 Oct 1903, vg; Firequeen, D2C, 24 Dec 1904, vg; Amethyst, Dom1cl, 1 Apr 1905, vg; Off Std 1C, 1 Oct 1907; Victory, Off Std 1C, 6 Mar 1909, vg; Terrible, Off Std 1C, 22 Apr 1909, vg; Victory, Off Std 1C, 16 Jun 1909, vg; Forward, Off Std 1C, 10 Oct 1909, vg; Victory, Off Std 1C, 6 May 1912, vg; Invincible, Off Std 1C (Pensr), 3 Aug 1914 to 23 Oct 1915, vg; Victory, Off Std 1C, 24 Oct 1918 to 21 Oct 1919; demob. "
- 1891 England census, digital image from National Archives microfilm, Ancestry.com, RG12, piece 863, folio 32, p. 2, GSU Roll 6095973
5 April 1891
HMS Duke of Wellington, Portsmouth Harbour, Hampshire
William Neame Sackett, crew, single, 20, servant, b. Worth.
[One of 149 crewmen]
- 1901 Census for England & Wales, Alverstoke, Hampshire
3 Sussex Place, Alverstoke (St John the Evangelist)
Alice S SACKETT, wife, 32, b. Gosport, Hampshire
Ethel SACKETT, dau, 3, b. Gosport
Alice E SACKETT, dau, 1, b. Gosport.
- 1901 England census, digital image from National Archives microfilm, Ancestry.com, RG13, piece 1998, folio 187, p. 2
HMS Dolphin, sailing sloop, Home Training Service, Portland Harbour, Dorset
William Sackett, crew, married, 30, domestic 2nd class, b. Worth, Kent.
[one of 159 crew]
- 1911 England census, digital image from National Archives microfilm, Ancestry.com, 24 Victoria Street, Forton, Gosport, Hampshire
William Neame Sackett, head, 40, married, officers' steward, Royal Navy, b. Kent, Worth
Alice Susan Sackett, wife, 42, m. 14y, 4 ch, all living, b. Gosport
Ethel Sackett, dau, 13, school, b. Gosport
Alice Elizabeth Sackett, dau, 11, school, b. Gosport
William George Sackett, son, 9, b. Gosport
Margery Rose Sackett, dau, 8, b. Dorset, Portland
George Smith, bro-in-law, 34, single, skilled labourer, naval ordnance, b. Gosport.
- "1939 Register", UK, digital image, Findmypast, Pragnell household, Crocks House, Alton R D, Hampshire: Alice E Pragnell, b. 1905; Margaret (E R) Pragnell (later Allcock), b. 1937; George Pragnell, b. 1858; RG101/2365H/003/44, William Sackett, b. 19 Apr 1870, married, retired; Alice Susan Sackett, b. 22 Jun 1868, unpaid domestic duties.
- "England & Wales, National Probate Calendar (Index of Wills & Administrations), 1858–1995", digital image, Ancestry.com, "Sackett Alice Susan of Crocks-cottages Bentley Hampshire (wife of William Neame Sackett) died 13 January 1942 Administration Winchester 23 February to the said William Neame Sackett naval pensioner. Effects £230 6s. 2d."
- "England & Wales, National Probate Calendar (Index of Wills & Administrations), 1858–1995", digital image, Ancestry.com, "Sackett William Neame of 26 Felix Road Gosport Hampshire died 21 January 1959 Administration Winchester 3 April to William George Sackett civil servant. Effects £288 11s. 1d."
|Last Edited||22 November 2016|