Richard Rupert Sackett
|Father||Frederick Charles Sackett (1870-1925)|
|Mother||Clarissa Mary Wood (c 1868-1903)|
In 1901 Richard was living at 20 Bath Street, Brighton, SussexG, in the household of his parents Frederick and Clarissa, and was recorded in the census as Richard R Sackett, aged four and born in Ramsgate.6
Richard attended the British Boys School, Ipswich, SuffolkG, from 23 April 1903, having transferred from the infants school. The family were then living at 185 Princes Street. He left on 30 May 1904 when the family moved to Bury St Edmunds.7
In 1911 he was living at 25 Copthorne Road, Wolverhampton, StaffordshireG, in the household of his father Frederick and stepmother Mary, and was recorded as Richard Rupert Sackett, aged 14 and born in Ramsgate.8
Richard Sackett served in the First World War as a private in the 6th Battalion, King's Shropshire Light Infantry. He was killed in action on the Somme and is commemorated on the Thiepval Memorial to the Missing of the Somme, which bears the names of more than 72,000 British and South African soldiers who were killed on the Somme and have no known graves. Richard's brother Frederick was also killed in action, just three days later.
Notes & Citations
- GRO Indexes to Births, 1837 to date, "Sep qtr 1896. Sackett, Richard Rupert. Mother: Wood. Thanet. 2a:921."
- School record.
- Baptisms Register, St Luke, Ramsgate, "22 May 1896 Richard Rupert s. Frederick Charles & Clarissa May Sackett, Dagmar Terrace, clerk."
- Website Commonwealth War Graves Commission (www.greatwar.nl), "Sackett, Richard Rupert, Private, service no. 12730, d. 17/09/1916, aged 20, 6th Bn, King's Shropshire Light Infantry, United Kingdom, Pier and Face 12 A and 12 D, Thiepval Memorial, son of the late Frederick Charles Sackett, and of Mary Sackett (stepmother), of The Black Lion Hotel, Llanfair Talhaiarn, Denbighshire. Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead."
- GRO Indexes to War Deaths, 1914-1921 (National Archives), "1916. Sackett, pte Richard, no. 12730, unit: Shrop L I."
- 1901 England census, digital image, Ancestry.com, 929/22v
20 Bath Street, Brighton (St Peter), Sussex
Frederick C Sackett, head, married, 31, provision merchant manager, worker, b. Ramsgate, Kent
Clarissa M Sackett, wife, 33, b. Whitstable, Kent
Theodora C B Sackett, dau, 11, b. Whitstable
Gladys M Sackett, dau, 9, b. Herne Bay, Kent
Frederick H Sackett, son, 7, b. St Peter's, Kent
Richard R Sackett, son, 4, b. Ramsgate.
- "National School Admission Registers & Log-Books 1870–1914", digital image, Findmypast, British Boys School, Ipswich, Suffolk, "No. 5699, adm 23 Apr 1903, Sackett, Richard, b. 10 May 1896, of 185 Princes St, from B Inf Sch, left 30 May 1904, left Ipswich."
- 1911 England census, digital image, Ancestry.com, RG14, Piece 17035, Schedule 44
25 Copthorne Road, Wolverhampton, Staffordshire
Frederick C Sackett, head, 40, married, inspector, Maypole Dairy Co Ltd, provision merchant, worker, b. Ramsgate, Kent
Mary Sackett, wife, 34, m. 7y, 2 ch, both living, b. Peckham, London
Charles Harold Sackett, son, 4, b. Suffolk, Bury St Ed
Arthur Howard Sackett, son, 2 months, b. Wolverhampton
Richard Rupert Sackett, son, 14, b. Ramsgate
May Ada Malborough, servant, single, general servant domestic, b. Wolverhampton.
|Appears in||Sacketts in the Military|
|Sackett line||9th great-grandson of Thomas Sackett the elder of St Peter in Thanet|
|Last Edited||8 Nov 2016|