Rev Frank Colyer Sackett
|Father||Jeremiah Sackett (1836-1918)|
|Mother||Sarah File (1838-1896)|
In 1891 Frank was living at 23 Bent Street, Cheetham, Manchester, LancashireG, in the household of his parents Jeremiah and Sarah, and was recorded in the census as Frank C Sackett, a clerk (employed), aged 14 and born in Manchester.11
Rev Frank Sackett served as a Wesleyan Methodist missionary in the Hyderabad district of India from 1901 to 1945.12 He served in the British Army during the First World War as a Wesleyan Chaplain in the Indian Ecclesiastical Department. He was awarded the British Medal by the Indian Government. In October 1918, he was admitted to the Indian Army Reserve of Officers as a Second Lieutenant with the temporary rank of Captain.13,14,15,16
The Revd Frank's wife, Elizabeth, visited England in 1930, travelling first class on the Brittania from Bombay and arriving in Liverpool on 13 March 1930. She stayed at the Wesleyan Mission House at 24 Bishopsgate Street in London.17 Frank returned to England in 1943, the year following his wife's death. He travelled first class on the Britannic from Bombay, arriving in Liverpool on 7 November 1943. His address in England was the Mission House, 25 Marylebone Road, London NW1.18
Frank proved his wife Elizabeth's will on 4 March 1944. Her estate was valued at £51.19
Frank left a will which was proved on 5 August 1953. His estate was valued at £1,605.20
THE REV. F. C. SACKETT
The Rev. Frank Colyer Sackett, who for many years was an outstanding Methodist missionary in India, has died at the age of 77 at Birmingham, where he had been living in retirement. A native of Manchester, he was born in 1876 and was educated at Headingley College. He first went out to Hyderabad in 1901 and worked there for the next 44 years. He was chairman of the Methodist Provincial Synod of Southern India in 1926 and chairman of the Hyderabad Methodist Mission from 1939 to 1942, having previously been secretary from 1926 to 1939.
—The Times, London, 7 May 1953.
|Sackett line||8th great-grandson of Thomas Sackett the elder|
|Appears in||Sacketts in the Church|
Sacketts in the Military
|Charts||Line 3 (English)|
Descendants of Jeremiah Sackett
Notes & Citations
- GRO Indexes to Births, 1837 to date, "Dec qtr 1876. Sackett, Frank Colyer. Mother: File. Chorlton. 8c:831."
- The Times, (London), 7 May 1953, p10, col D.
- GRO Indexes to Deaths, 1837 to date (National Archives), "Jun qtr 1953. Sackett, Frank C, 76. Birmingham."
- Probate record.
- Website India Office Family History Search (British Library) (http://indiafamily.bl.uk/), Registry Office Marriage Index, 1901–1905, Z/N/11/10/f.1442, at Bombay, Frank Colyer Sackett & Elizabeth Parry.
- "British India Office Marriages", digital image, Findmypast, "Wesleyan Church, Colaba Causeway, Bombay, 4 Aug 1905, Frank Colyer Sackett, 29, bachelor, Wesleyan Minister, of Karim Nagar, Nizam's Dominions, father Jeremiah Sackett; to Elizabeth Parry, 32, spinster, of Manchester, England, father John Parry. Witnesses: Fred E Brown, Arth I Revnell. By C Ryder Smith."
- Date of birth based on age at marriage.
- Lillie's Diary 18 Aug 1942.
- GRO Indexes to Marriages, 1837 to date (National Archives), "Mar qtr 1946. Sackett, Frank C. Spouse: Ferguson. Cockermouth. 10b:1313."
- GRO Indexes to Marriages, 1837 to date (FreeBMD), "Mar qtr 1946. Ferguson, Agnes. Spouse: Sackett. Cockermouth. 10b:1313."
- 1891 Census for England & Wales, RG12/3262/f86v
23 Bent St, Cheetham, Manchester
Jeremiah Sackett, head, married, 54, local preacher (empd), b. Hythe, Kent
Sarah Sackett, wife, 52, b. New Jersey
Sarah Sackett, dau, unm, 23, b. Barham, Kent
Frank C Sackett, son, 14, clerk (employed), b. Manchester.
- Website, USC Libraries, Internet Mission Photography Archive.
- "Britain, Campaign, Gallantry & Long Service Medals & Awards", database, Findmypast.
- "British Army Medal Index Cards, 1914-1920", digital image, The National Archives, "Sackett, F C, Reverend, Indian Ecclesiastical Department, British Medal issued by Govt of India. WO372/17."
- "British Army Medal Index Cards, 1914-1920", digital image, The National Archives, "Sackett, F C, Wesleyan Chaplain, Ecclesiastical Department, War Medal, issued Govt of India, M2684/24. WO372/28."
- "The London Gazette", digital image, Findmypast, 8 Apr 1919, p 4583, "The King has approved the admission of the following gentlemen to the Infy. Branch of the Indian Army Reserve of Officers and the grant to them of the temp. rank of Capt.: To be 2nd Lieuts. Frank Colyer Sackett. 25th Oct. 1918.
- "UK Incoming Passenger Lists 1878–1960", digital image, Ancestry.com, "Elizabeth Sackett, 57, British, occ: none, Brittania 1st class, arr. 13 Mar 1930 Liverpool, from Bombay, India, UK address Wesleyan Mission House, 24 Bishopsgate St, London, last permanent residence India, intended permanent residence India."
- "UK Incoming Passenger Lists 1878–1960", digital image, Ancestry.com, "Frank C Sackett, 67, minister, British, Britannic 1st class, arr. 7 Nov 1943 Liverpool, from Bombay, India, proposed address: c/o Mission House, 25 Marylebone Road, NW1, last permanent residence India, intended permanent residence England."
- "England & Wales, National Probate Calendar (Index of Wills & Administrations), 1858–1995", digital image, Ancestry.com, "Sackett Elizabeth otherwise Lily of Methodist Mission House Old Lancer Lines Secunderabad India (wife of the reverend Frank Colyer Sackett) died 19 February 1942 Probate Manchester 4 March 1944 to the said the reverend Frank Colyer Sackett methodist minister. Effects £51."
- "England & Wales, National Probate Calendar (Index of Wills & Administrations), 1858–1995", digital image, Ancestry.com, "Sackett Frank Colyer of Kingsmead Furlough House Selly Oak Birmingham 29 died 3 May 1953 at Queen Elizabeth Hospital Birmingham 15 Probate Birmingham 5 August to Midland Bank Executor and Trustee Company Limited. Effects £1605 17s. 5d."
|Last Edited||28 June 2020|