|Father||Joseph Fox Marr (1869-1943)|
|Mother||Annie Sackett (1870-1942)|
(Src: German Occupation identity card, States of Guernsey, Island Archives, researched by Chris Sackett)
In 1901 Sidney was living at Victoria Avenue, St Sampson's, GuernseyG, in the household of his parents Joseph and Annie, and was recorded in the census as Sidney Marr, aged four and born in England.8
In 1911 he was living at 4 Albion Terrace, Vale Road, St Sampson'sG, in the household of his mother Annie, and was recorded as Sidney Marr, a house furnisher's assistant, aged 14 and born in Hull.9
In 1921 he was living at 3 Manor Cottages, Colborne Road, St Peter Port, GuernseyG, and was recorded as Sydney Marr, a laundryman at the Guernsey Steam Laundry, aged 24. He was a visitor in the household of William and Martha Barnes. Their daughter, Sidney's future wife Florence Barnes, 25, a cinema musician, was also in the household.10
Sidney and Florence were living in Guernsey at the time of the German invasion and subsequent occupation of the island during the Second World War. They were among a large number of English-born islanders deported to Germany on Hitler's orders in reprisal for various British actions elsewhere. Sidney was eventually released and, after the war, married Violet Burge, also an internee at Biberach Camp and a friend of Florence's.
Notes & Citations
- "England & Wales, Civil Registration Birth Index" (Ancestry image), "Mar qtr 1897. Marr, Sidney. Sculcoates. 9d:155."
- "England & Wales, Civil Registration Death Index, 1916–2007" (Ancestry transcript), "Sep qtr 1973. Marr, Sidney, b. 31 Dec 1896. Poole. 7c:337."
- Baptism, Wesleyan Methodist Church, Hull, Yorkshire (England Births and Christenings, LDS FamilySearch), "18 Feb 1897, Sidney Marr, s. of Joseph Marr & Annie."
- "UK, Foreign and Overseas Registers of British Subjects" (Ancestry image), death certificate, Florence Montague Marr née Barnes, b. 23 Apr 1896, d. 24 Dec 1944, Biberach Internment Camp, Germany, cerebrale apoplexie.
- General Register Office, Online Index to Marriages, "Sep qtr 1946. Marr, Sidney. Spouse: Burge. Westminster. 5c:1054."
- General Register Office, Online Index to Marriages, "Sep qtr 1946. Burge, Violet L. Spouse: Marr. Westminster. 5c:1054."
- Email from Lesley Avery to Chris Sackett, June 2014.
- 1901 Channel Islands census
Victoria Avenue, St Sampson's, Guernsey
Joseph Marr, head, M, 31, life insurance agent, worker, b. England
Annie Marr, wife, M, 31, b. England
Leonard Marr, son, 10, b. England
Elsie Marr, dau, 9, b. England
Charles Marr, son, 7, b. England
Sidney Marr, son, 4, b. England.
- 1911 England census
RG14, piece 34759, schedule 138
4 Albion Terrace, Vale Rd, St Sampson's
Annie Marr, head, 41, married, m. 22y, 6 ch, 4 living, housewife, at home, b. Woodchurch, Kent, father b. Hythe, Kent
Leonard Marr, son, 20, single, cabinet maker, worker, b. Hull, father b. Hunmanby, Yorks
Elsie Nora Marr, dau, 19, single, shop assistant, worker, b. Hull, father b. Hunmanby, Yorks
Charles Fredk Marr, son, 17, grocer assistant, worker, b. Hull, father b. Hunmanby, Yorks
Sidney Marr, son, 14, house furnisher assistant, worker, b. Hull, father b. Hunmanby, Yorks.
- 1921 England census
3 Manor Cottage, Colborne Road, St Peter Port, Guernsey
William H Barnes, head, 61y 6m, married, b. St Peter Port, Guernsey, carpenter, H J Bougourd, Fruit Grower
Martha Barnes, wife, 60y 6m, married, b. St Martin, Guernsey, household duties
Florence Barnes, daughter, 25y 2m, single, b. St Peter Port, Guernsey, Channel Islands, musician, Lyric Picture Hall
Sydney Marr, visitor, 24y 6m, single, b. Hull, Yorkshire, laundryman, Guernsey Steam Laundry, Les Amballes.
|Sackett line||9th great-grandson of Thomas Sackett the elder of St Peter in Thanet|
|Charts||Descendants of Jabez Sackett|
|Last Edited||5 Nov 2022|