Deacon Harvey Sackett
|Father||Deacon Salmon Sackett (1764-1846)|
|Mother||Mercy Matilda Curtis (1767-1831)|
Harvey served in the War of 1812 in the Ohio Militia.12
Harvey and his wife Thalia were founding members of the First Congregational Church, Ruggles, OhioG, the first eleven members meeting at his house on 11 January 1827 to organise the church.13
In 1850 Harvey was living in Ruggles, Ashland County, OhioG, and was recorded in the census as Harvey Sackett, a farmer, aged 59 and born in Connecticut. Living with him were his second wife Mary, 47, her five Van Vranken children, and Harvey and Mary's son Justus, aged two.14
In 1860 he was living in RugglesG and was recorded as Harvy Sacket, a farmer, aged 68. Living with him were his wife Mary, 57, their son Justus, aged twelve, and Mary's sons, Robert, 24, and Garret, 19.15
In 1870 he was living in RugglesG and was recorded as Harvey Sackett, a farmer, aged 79. Living with him were his wife Mary, 67, their son Justus, 22, Justus's wife Irena, 22, and Mary's son Harmon Van Vranken, 38, with his daughter Lizzie, aged seven. Also in the household was a male farm laborer.16
Harvey made his will at Ruggles on 16 March 1874. He left his daughter Dimmes, and sons, Erastus and Erasmus, sums of $300, his daughter Irene a sum of $1,200, and, subject to his widow Mary's dower interest, he left his farm of 110 acres to their son Justus. The will was proved at the Probate Court of Ashland County on 24 August 1875.17
Harvey's widow Mary made her will on 20 August 1879. She left all her estate equally to her daughters, Livinia and Tryphena. The will was proved at the Huron County Probate Court on 1 October 1886.18
He was twice married. His family by his first wife was: Dimmes, wife of Mr. Smith, Erastus and Erasmus M; Irena, wife of C. Curtiss. His first wife died in 1843, and in 1844 he married Mrs. Mary Van Vranken, widow of Garrett Van Vranken. He had one son, Justus H. Sacket, by his second wife. Justus resides on the homestead.
Mr. Sacket was long a member of the Congregational church, and was an excellent citizen. He was the first justice of Ruggles. Most of the family resides in Ruggles Township.
—Ashland County Chapter of the Ohio Genealogical Society, Russ Shopbell, unsourced transcript
1512. Harvey Sacket, 1791–1875, of Warren, Conn., and Ruggles, Ohio, son of (656) Salmon Sacket and Matilda Curtis, was married, Apr. 2, 1817, to Thalia Eldred, daughter of Samuel Eldred, and on Apr. 12, 1844, to his second wife, Mary Van Vranken.
3837. E. Tanner Sackett, b. Mar. 10, 1821; m. Lucretia Lyons.
3838. E. Mason Sackett, b. Sept. 21, 1822; m. Abigail Gates.
3839. Irona Sackett, b. Dec. 22, 1826, d. Nov. 14, 1900; m. Miles Carter.
3840. Justus H. Sackett, b. Feb. 18, 1848; m. Irene Beach.
Children of Deacon Harvey Sackett and Thalia Eldred
Child of Deacon Harvey Sackett and Mary Van Vranken
- Justus Harvey Sackett+ b. 18 Feb 1848, d. 7 Nov 1923
Notes & Citations
- Barbour Collection of Connecticut Vital Records, "Sackett, Harvy, s. [Salmon & Marsey Matilda], b. Dec. 25, 1791. Warren Vital Records, 1:109."
- Charles Weygant, The Sacketts of America, "1512. Harvey Sacket, b. Dec. 24, 1793, d. Aug. 11, 1815 [sic: 1875]; m. Thelia Eldred."
- Charles Cook Bronson, History of Tallmadge and the Western Reserve 1804–1886, has 24 Dec 1792.
- Widow's pension record.
- "Connecticut, Church Record Abstracts, 1630–1920" (Ancestry image), Church of Christ, Warren, "Sackett, Harvey, m. Thaley Eldred, 2 Apr 1817. 2:24a."
- Howard Carter, Genealogy of Descendants of Thomas Carter ... of MA and CT, Norfolk, CT (1909), digital image, Ancestry.com, p 66, "Thalia [Eldred, dau. of Samuel Eldred and Dimmis Carter], b. [Warren, Ct.,] Dec. 14, 1795; d. Apr. 20, 1843, Ruggles, O.; m. Warren, Apr. 2, 1817, Dea. Harvey Sackett, b. Warren, Dec. 25, 1791; d. Aug. 11, 1875, son of Salmon and Mercy Matilda (Curtiss) Sackett."
- Find a Grave.
- "Ohio Marriages, 1800–1958" (FamilySearch transcript), "10 Apr 1844, at Huron, Ohio, Harvey Sachett & Mary Vanvrankin."
- "Ohio, County Marriages, 1789–2016" (FamilySearch image), "Duly married by me in Ruggles Sept 11, 1846 Mr Harvey Sackett and Miss Mary Vanvrankin. F P Hall, Min of the Gospel."
- Widow's pension record has 10 Apr 1844.
- "War of 1812 Pension Application Files Index, 1812–1815" (Ancestry image), "Harvey Sackett, widow Mary, service Capt Amos Lusk's Co OH Mil, res. of soldier 1871 Ruggles OH, res. of widow 1878 Ruggles OH, soldier's first wife Thalia Eldred, widow Mary first mar. Garrett Van Vranken, soldier & widow m. 10 Apr 1844, soldier d. 11 Aug 1875 Ruggles, widow d. 6 Jun 1886 New London OH."
- Lucy Sackett Curtiss, The Congregational Church, Warren, Connecticut, 1756–1956, 119, "From the history of the church in Ruggles, Ohio, comes the following story of courage and devotion: "This church was organized Thursday, January 11, 1827, as the First Congregational church in Ruggles with a membership of eleven persons [including] Harvey Sackett, Thalia Sackett. ... they ... gathered at the home of Harvey Sackett to organize a church where the articles of faith were adopted."
- 1850 United States census
Roll: M432_658; Page: 507B; Image: 258
Ruggles, Ashland, Ohio
Sackett, Harvey, 59, m, farmer, real estate $5,000, b. CT
Sackett, Mary, 47, f, b. NY
Van Rankin, Simonia?, 23, f, b. NY
Van Rankin, Harmon, 18, m, farmer, b. NY
Van Rankin, Robert, 15, m, farmer, b. OH
Van Rankin, Triphena, 12, f, b. OH
Van Rankin, Garret, 10, m, b. OH
Van Rankin [sic: Sackett], Justus, 2, m, b. OH.
- 1860 United States census
Roll: M653_930; Page: 10; Image: 24; Family History Library Film: 803930
Ruggles, Ashland County, Ohio, 6 Jun 1860
Sacket, Harvy, 68, farmer, real estate $5,200, personal estate $700, b. CT
Sacket, Mary, 57, b. NJ
Sacket, Justus H, 12, b. OH
Sacket*, Robert, 24, farm laborer, personal estate $700, b. OH
Sacket*, Garret, 19, farm laborer, personal estate $600, b. OH.
[Robert & Garret were sons of Mary Van Vranken]
- 1870 United States census
Roll: M593_1169; Page: 803B; Image: 319674; Family History Library Film: 552668
Ruggles, Ashland County, Ohio, 15 Jun 1870
Sackett, Harvey, 79, farmer, real estate $8,250, personal estate $1,574, b. CT
Sackett, Mary, 67, b. NJ
Sackett, Justus, 22, manager of farm, b. OH
Sackett, Irena, 22, keeping house, b. OH
Vanoranken, Lizzie, 7, b. OH
Vanoranken, Harmon, 38, carpenter, b. OH
Rice, George, 16, farm laborer, b. OH.
- "Ohio, Wills and Probate Records, 1786–1998" (Ancestry image), Will of Harvey Sackett, made 16 Mar 1874, proved Ashland County, Ohio, 24 Aug 1875.
- "Ohio, Wills and Probate Records, 1786–1998" (Ancestry image), Will of Mary Sackett, made 20 Aug 1879, proved Huron County, Ohio, 1 Oct 1886.
|Appears in||Sacketts in the Military|
|Sackett line||6th great-grandson of Thomas Sackett the elder of St Peter in Thanet|
|Charts||Line 3a (American)|
|Last Edited||17 Apr 2022|