|Father||Deacon Salmon Sackett (1764-1846)|
|Mother||Mercy Matilda Curtis (1767-1831)|
Harvey served in the War of 1812 in the Ohio Militia.13
Harvey and his wife Thalia were founding members of the First Congregational Church, Ruggles, OhioG, the first eleven members meeting at his house on 11 January 1827 to organise the church.14
In 1850 Harvey was living in Ruggles, Ashland County, OhioG, and was recorded in the census as Harvey Sackett, a farmer, aged 59 and born in Connecticut. Living with him were his second wife Mary, 47, her five Van Vranken children, and Harvey and Mary's son Justus, aged two.15
In 1860 he was living in RugglesG and was recorded as Harvy Sacket, a farmer, aged 68. Living with him were his wife Mary, 57, their son Justus, aged twelve, and Mary's sons, Robert, 24, and Garret, 19.16
In 1870 he was living in RugglesG and was recorded as Harvey Sackett, a farmer, aged 79. Living with him were his wife Mary, 67, their son Justus, 22, Justus's wife Irena, 22, and Mary's son Harmon Van Vranken, 38, with his daughter Lizzie, aged seven. Also in the household was a male farm laborer.17
Harvey made his will at Ruggles on 16 March 1874. He left his daughter Dimmes, and sons, Erastus and Erasmus, sums of $300, his daughter Irene a sum of $1,200, and, subject to his widow Mary's dower interest, he left his farm of 110 acres to their son Justus. The will was proved at the Probate Court of Ashland County on 24 August 1875.18
Harvey's widow Mary made her will on 20 August 1879. She left all her estate equally to her daughters, Livinia and Tryphena. The will was proved at the Huron County Probate Court on 1 October 1886.19
He was twice married. His family by his first wife was: Dimmes, wife of Mr. Smith, Erastus and Erasmus M; Irena, wife of C. Curtiss. His first wife died in 1843, and in 1844 he married Mrs. Mary Van Vranken, widow of Garrett Van Vranken. He had one son, Justus H. Sacket, by his second wife. Justus resides on the homestead.
Mr. Sacket was long a member of the Congregational church, and was an excellent citizen. He was the first justice of Ruggles. Most of the family resides in Ruggles Township.
—Ashland County Chapter of the Ohio Genealogical Society, Russ Shopbell, unsourced transcript
Children of Harvey Sackett and Thalia Eldred
Child of Harvey Sackett and Mary Van Vranken
- Justus Harvey Sackett+ b. 18 Feb 1848, d. 7 Nov 1923
Notes & Citations
- Barbour Collection of Connecticut Vital Records, "Sackett, Harvy, s. [Salmon & Marsey Matilda], b. Dec. 25, 1791. Warren Vital Records, 1:109."
- Charles Weygant, The Sacketts of America.
- Thurmon King's database.
- Charles Cook Bronson, History of Tallmadge and the Western Reserve 1804–1886, has 24 Dec 1792.
- Howard Carter, Genealogy of Descendants of Thomas Carter ... of MA and CT, Norfolk, CT (1909), digital image, Ancestry.com.
- Widow's pension record.
- Website Find A Grave.
- Thurmon King's database, 3476 Thalia Eldred.
- "Ohio Marriages, 1800–1958", database, FamilySearch, "10 Apr 1844, at Huron, Ohio, Harvey Sachett & Mary Vanvrankin."
- "Ohio, County Marriages, 1789–2016", digital image, FamilySearch, "Duly married by me in Ruggles Sept 11, 1846 Mr Harvey Sackett and Miss Mary Vanvrankin. F P Hall, Min of the Gospel."
- Widow's pension record has 10 Apr 1844.
- "War of 1812 Pension Application Files Index, 1812–1815", digital image, Ancestry.com, "Harvey Sackett, widow Mary, service Capt Amos Lusk's Co OH Mil, res. of soldier 1871 Ruggles OH, res. of widow 1878 Ruggles OH, soldier's first wife Thalia Eldred, widow Mary first mar. Garrett Van Vranken, soldier & widow m. 10 Apr 1844, soldier d. 11 Aug 1875 Ruggles, widow d. 6 Jun 1886 New London OH."
- Lucy Sackett Curtiss, The Congregational Church, Warren, Connecticut, 1756–1956 (1956), 119, "From the history of the church in Ruggles, Ohio, comes the following story of courage and devotion: "This church was organized Thursday, January 11, 1827, as the First Congregational church in Ruggles with a membership of eleven persons [including] Harvey Sackett, Thalia Sackett. ... they ... gathered at the home of Harvey Sackett to organize a church where the articles of faith were adopted."
- 1850 US census, digital image, Ancestry.com, Roll: M432_658; Page: 507B; Image: 258
Ruggles, Ashland, Ohio
Sackett, Harvey, 59, m, farmer, real estate $5,000, b. CT
Sackett, Mary, 47, f, b. NY
Van Rankin, Simonia?, 23, f, b. NY
Van Rankin, Harmon, 18, m, farmer, b. NY
Van Rankin, Robert, 15, m, farmer, b. OH
Van Rankin, Triphena, 12, f, b. OH
Van Rankin, Garret, 10, m, b. OH
Van Rankin [sic: Sackett], Justus, 2, m, b. OH.
- 1860 US census, digital image, Ancestry.com, Roll: M653_930; Page: 10; Image: 24; Family History Library Film: 803930
Ruggles, Ashland County, Ohio, 6 Jun 1860
Sacket, Harvy, 68, farmer, real estate $5,200, personal estate $700, b. CT
Sacket, Mary, 57, b. NJ
Sacket, Justus H, 12, b. OH
Sacket*, Robert, 24, farm laborer, personal estate $700, b. OH
Sacket*, Garret, 19, farm laborer, personal estate $600, b. OH.
[Robert & Garret were sons of Mary Van Vranken]
- 1870 US census, digital image, Ancestry.com, Roll: M593_1169; Page: 803B; Image: 319674; Family History Library Film: 552668
Ruggles, Ashland County, Ohio, 15 Jun 1870
Sackett, Harvey, 79, farmer, real estate $8,250, personal estate $1,574, b. CT
Sackett, Mary, 67, b. NJ
Sackett, Justus, 22, manager of farm, b. OH
Sackett, Irena, 22, keeping house, b. OH
Vanoranken, Lizzie, 7, b. OH
Vanoranken, Harmon, 38, carpenter, b. OH
Rice, George, 16, farm laborer, b. OH.
- "Ohio, Wills and Probate Records, 1786–1998", digital image, Ancestry.com, Will of Harvey Sackett, made 16 Mar 1874, proved Ashland County, Ohio, 24 Aug 1875.
- "Ohio, Wills and Probate Records, 1786–1998", digital image, Ancestry.com, Will of Mary Sackett, made 20 Aug 1879, proved Huron County, Ohio, 1 Oct 1886.
|See also||The Sacketts of America, 1512 |
Thurmon King's Database, 3475
Bronson, History of Tallmadge
|Appears in||Sacketts in the Military|
|Sackett line||6th great-grandson of Thomas Sackett the elder of St Peter in Thanet|
|Charts||Line 3a (American)|
|Last Edited||30 Oct 2019|